Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ive decided i hate bench press Watch

ReputationRep:
    Wrenched my neck unracking the bar today ( my fault I know bad form and that) but that waiting around for the thing half the time im in the gym and several awful spotters means I want to cut bench press out of my routine.
    I much prefer overhead press, can Overhead press substitute for bench completley, im pretty sure alot of massive guys dont do it anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Most say the OHP is a much better exercise compared to the benchpress. It's a more useful strength to train. I wouldn't say it completely replaces the benchpress, is it doesn't hit your chest as much; if that bothers you. However it is safer. Do OHP's and dips if you want.

How does 'wrench' their neck though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollmanmole)
    Wrenched my neck unracking the bar today ( my fault I know bad form and that) but that waiting around for the thing half the time im in the gym and several awful spotters means I want to cut bench press out of my routine.
    I much prefer overhead press, can Overhead press substitute for bench completley, im pretty sure alot of massive guys dont do it anyway?
    The Bench Press is one of the most common ways to build up the chest - I'm sure "massive guys" do it a lot. However, they may stick to single Dumbells instead of a bar - You should think about that rather than ditching the bench press all together.

They both exercise the chest area but there are exercises for the upper and lower parts of the pecs. Bench press is good for both of these - over-head is okay for the upper segment.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I read alot of long term heavy benchers have shoulder problems?
    In regards to the wrenching, not completley sure what I did, never had any problem on the bench in regards to injury, but when i unracked the bar on my second set, I lifted the bar up, and strained the right side of my neck, made quite a horrible internal noise as well.
    Nothing some frozen peas wont sort out.

I hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollmanmole)
    Go at non-peak times then. Bench without a spotter, I do. Just be smart. Ask someone with good bench form to spot you.

You need a chest pressing movement in any routine just like you need overhead pressing as a newbie. Do DBs if you don't want to BB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    The Bench Press is one of the most common ways to build up the chest - I'm sure "massive guys" do it a lot. However, they may stick to single Dumbells instead of a bar - You should think about that rather than ditching the bench press all together.

They both exercise the chest area but there are exercises for the upper and lower parts of the pecs. Bench press is good for both of these - over-head is okay for the upper segment.
    There is no 'upper segment' there is only the Pectoral Major which is one muscle on each side, no upper and lower, no middle, inner or outer, if it contracts the whole thing contracts end of!

ReputationRep:
    m8 i would advise to go hard on the peck decks, in my experience, it builds up your chest alot quicker that bench pressing does and it also works on your back muscles at the same time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u.akubuine09)
    m8 i would advise to go hard on the peck decks, in my experience, it builds up your chest alot quicker that bench pressing does and it also works on your back muscles at the same time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    There is no 'upper segment' there is only the Pectoral Major which is one muscle on each side, no upper and lower, no middle, inner or outer, if it contracts the whole thing contracts end of!
    Yes, the Pectoralis Major is one mass, but it consists of two plates; the Clavicular head and the Sternocostal head. The clavicular is the 'upper segment' and the sternocostal is the lower (and also the main part of the pectoral muscle).

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Benching is a bit crap - it results in a lot of shoulder issues and it's probably the least useful among the big compounds for functional strength in most sports. However, it's still one of the biggest upper body lifts and if someone wants to know how strong your upper body is they're typically going to ask about your bench.

If it's an issue for you, I'd focus more on OH pressing and do some DB benching, either on the flat or a slight incline.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the Pectoralis Major is one mass, but it consists of two plates; the Clavicular head and the Sternocostal head. The clavicular is the 'upper segment' and the sternocostal is the lower (and also the main part of the pectoral muscle).
    Sorry to piss on your bonfire but as per the bold above and one cannot contract without the other in terms of real life, so taking of upper and lower pecs in terms of training is total tosh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Sorry to piss on your bonfire but as per the bold above and one cannot contract without the other in terms of real life, so taking of upper and lower pecs in terms of training is total tosh.
    When did I say one could contract without the other?...

Before you disagree about the clavicular head and the sternocostal head... look it up.

ReputationRep:
    When did I say one could contract without the other?...

Before you disagree about the clavicular head and the sternocostal head... look it up.
    Sigh

I know the anatomy of it bub, if you want to check back:
    "if it contracts the whole thing contracts end of!"
    Which is still true and still remains the point, there is no point talking of seperate pecotral heads in terms of training as it is simply an impossibility to seperate them and is a waste of effort.

ReputationRep:
    I find OHP as a more beneficial exercise than BP for strength (real life, not powerlifting). I used to do dips all the time for chest which, I think, I was strong at. The only reason why I benched was my ego. BP is just a way of testing how "strong" you really are. But that's just ********. I'd rather see OHP as one of the "three lifts" than the BP.

ReputationRep:
    try flat dumbell pressing ?

ReputationRep:
    Don't all throw things at me but what about the Smith Machine, if having no spotter is your problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    Don't all throw things at me but what about the Smith Machine, if having no spotter is your problem?
    I can't think of any reason to bench in the smith machine over benching DBs, and both can be done without a spotter.

At the gym I use, we've actually got a pretty snazzy bench which you can put bars in to catch it if you miss on the bench - you have to make sure they're lower than your chest and higher than your neck but they work pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you eventually hit a limit on the DB though in terms of weight you can lift? Not that I personally want take things that far.

ReputationRep:
    Our bench has three rack positions. If you're not going to make to lock out, dump it on one of the lower ones. I think the risk may be too high, but I've seen many people do it. Just watch out for your face and don't miss the rack.

Either way, if you're benching by yourself, NEVER collar the bar. That way you can just dump the weights on either side and get up. This is usually recommended for training at home so as to not look like a knob in front of the hot girls at the gym. If you're at the gym, ask for a spotter. Ask staff; makes them useful in some way.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.