Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ive decided i hate bench press Watch

ReputationRep:
    OHP is AMAZING, unless you're powerlifting then the Bench is unimportant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    Wouldn't you eventually hit a limit on the DB though in terms of weight you can lift? Not that I personally want take things that far.
    Well, yes, but only in the same way you'd hit a limit with a barbell. And if you hit the absolute limit of what you can lift with dumbbells, that means you've got the strongest bench you are ever capable of acheiving so there's not really anywhere to go from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    The Bench Press is one of the most common ways to build up the chest - I'm sure "massive guys" do it a lot. However, they may stick to single Dumbells instead of a bar - You should think about that rather than ditching the bench press all together.

They both exercise the chest area but there are exercises for the upper and lower parts of the pecs. Bench press is good for both of these - over-head is okay for the upper segment.
    these are experienced bodybuilders who have good posture when working out. if OP's wrenched their neck using bar, i don't think he's gonna be able to do bp with dumbells. inexperience causes lop sided pecks. trust me.. i learned the hard way :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unikq)
    these are experienced bodybuilders who have good posture when working out. if OP's wrenched their neck using bar, i don't think he's gonna be able to do bp with dumbells. inexperience causes lop sided pecks. trust me.. i learned the hard way :sadnod:
    How can you get 'lop-sided pecs' using dumbbells? Barbells I can sort of understand (not really), but how with DB's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    How can you get 'lop-sided pecs' using dumbbells? Barbells I can understand, but how with DB's?
    trust me. i am living proof. my righty is healthily big and stiff, but my lefty is... not there.. :confused:
    anyone willing to clarify why this happened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unikq)
    trust me. i am living proof. my righty is healthily big and stiff, but my lefty is... not there.. :confused:
    I don't think it has anything to do with DB benchpress. I doubt you were doing two different weights in each hand. It's probably just you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I don't think it has anything to do with DB benchpress. I doubt you were doing two different weights in each hand. It's probably just you.
    yeh, they were identical weights. that's what i'm saying, it was just me, cause i was inexperienced.. i started off with dumbells when i started ysee, and i noticed that one side was getting worked out/more tired than the other arm

ReputationRep:
    I lol'd at the image of 'lop-sided pecs'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Our bench has three rack positions. If you're not going to make to lock out, dump it on one of the lower ones. I think the risk may be too high, but I've seen many people do it. Just watch out for your face and don't miss the rack.

Either way, if you're benching by yourself, NEVER collar the bar. That way you can just dump the weights on either side and get up. This is usually recommended for training at home so as to not look like a knob in front of the hot girls at the gym. If you're at the gym, ask for a spotter. Ask staff; makes them useful in some way.
    lol, thats just dangerous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unikq)
    yeh, they were identical weights. that's what i'm saying, it was just me, cause i was inexperienced.. i started off with dumbells when i started ysee, and i noticed that one side was getting worked out/more tired than the other arm
    Either way, that's a spectacular accomplishment you've pulled off.

By 'you' I mean you must have some weird genetic "pec-lop" condition. Not that you were doing it wrong. How can you do it wrong? Your arms are moving in the same direction and distance, are they not?

The whole point with DB's is that you're going to get more balanced, as one arm can't assist your other arm in the lift; as in a barbell lift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    lol, thats just dangerous
    Not as dangerous as getting pinned. I haven't actually had to do it, but I can't see how it would be that dangerous. Tilt the barbell, give it a shake; one side of plates dumps off. Then gravity takes care of the other side.

Not ideal, but if it's collared you'd have to roll it down your body, thereby ruining your chances of ever having children.

ReputationRep:
    I always used to just roll it to abs, sit up, stand up holding it, put it on floor, deadlift it and then walk it back onto rack when I failed a rep.

Then again I never benched 200kg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    I always used to just roll it to abs, sit up, stand up holding it, put it on floor, deadlift it and then walk it back onto rack when I failed a rep.

Then again I never benched 200kg.
    That's probably better, if you can. I have yet to get pinned so I don't know quite what I'd do. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unikq)
    Are you lifting straight? May just be your body - everyone's different! lol.

Do you do press-ups at all?

ReputationRep:
    go OHP, derek poundstone does nothing but that and benches like twice a year, with a 500lb raw bench for reps he isn't doing too bad without it no??

ReputationRep:
    Are you lifting straight? May just be your body - everyone's different! lol.

Do you do press-ups at all?
    I've already diagnosed, he's got Pec-Lop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unikq)
    because none of them are there u skinny puss

i had this too when i benched like 50kg lol, it goes away as you progress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Sigh

I know the anatomy of it bub, if you want to check back:
    "if it contracts the whole thing contracts end of!"
    Which is still true and still remains the point, there is no point talking of seperate pecotral heads in terms of training as it is simply an impossibility to seperate them and is a waste of effort.
    lol, bub. :top:

I didn't say they were entirely separate, in fact I said they were "one mass". It doesn't matter, MY point was to focus on different exercises; to build the muscle in different areas; areas which are defined for certain movements (such as an over-head press).

If there is no way of focusing on each of the petoral areas... Why are there exercises specially segregated for them?....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I've already diagnosed, he's got Pec-Lop.
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    lol, bub. :top:

I didn't say they were entirely separate, in fact I said they were "one mass". It doesn't matter, MY point was to focus on different exercises; to build the muscle in different areas; areas which are defined for certain movements (such as an over-head press).

If there is no way of focusing on each of the petoral areas... Why are there exercises specially segregated for them?....
    because of mups like you hahaha.

seriously though mate matts right stop being a dumbass and lift =)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.