Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    having just finished a-levels and having been set on university for the past year iv suddenly had a change of heart and want to take a gap year! is this a sensible thing to do!? if i should take the gap year what should i do? travel or gain work experience? any advice would be pretttyyy helpful!:confused:

ReputationRep:
    same! i didn't really think of doing a gap year and just thought that i'd go to uni this oct (grade depending) but now i'm thinking otherwise... if you've got a conditional place and don't get the grades then def gap year. if you're unsure and get in i reckon you should try it and if you are there wishing you were on a gap year then take one and reapply. i believe that gap years are worthwhile so would be a sensible thing to do as when you come back you're bound to have matured and changed as a person (not having ever been on one myself) but if you make the most of it then you should take one. you could do a bit of both - travel while gaining work experience. there are loads of internship and volunteer opportunities out there! google it. what would you be interested in doing?

overall, depends how much you want to do the uni course. you can always defer and do it the year after, but would being a year behind people your age bother you at all? you could even take a gap year in the middle of your uni course and do something relevant to that... good luck!

what an essay!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you're not sure, take a year out. You don't want to be in a position where you're considering dropping out of uni for whatever reason. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to uni for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    i'd recommend a gap year - totally worth it for a billion different reasons...

what course are you applying for? why don't you get work exp & go travelling

ReputationRep:
    I freaked out at the end of my college year and took a gap year. I'm at the end of that gap year now and I'm Going to Uni in sept. I'm glad I waited because now I know what I'm doing with my life. Take a gap year and rest or work. Uni will be waiting for you whenever your ready!! Don't feel pressured just because all your friends are going!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinay2505)
    i'd recommend a gap year - totally worth it for a billion different reasons...

what course are you applying for? why don't you get work exp & go travelling
    im applying for history and international relations but doing work experience would generally mean doing it for free and a bar job is really unlikely to pay for travelling, but hey now iv said that it sounds quite a good idea aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnycarswellphgs)
    im applying for history and international relations but doing work experience would generally mean doing it for free and a bar job is really unlikely to pay for travelling, but hey now iv said that it sounds quite a good idea aha
    especially with international relations..seeing the world would be worthwhile and very beneficial for the course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    If you're not sure, take a year out. You don't want to be in a position where you're considering dropping out of uni for whatever reason. :dontknow:
    This.

Much easier to take a gap year and reapply or defer than it is to drop out and do it all over again. I found out the hard way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnycarswellphgs)
    you said it!! mate, you should take a gap year, work as much as you can upto saaay christmas time. during that time sort out where u fancy travelling to, see if you can find some buddies to go with you, and ship out!! you could even go abroad to do some vol work, you can get all that subsidised too.

think about it: a) be awesome for your course; b) you won't reeeeally have a chance soon after uni, cos you'll be in a fair amount of debt; c) uni can wait a year - it's not gonna disappear; cos by the time it does reach, you'll be absolutely buzzing for it!!

plus you'll have life experience in the real world, and you'll be maturer and wiser, etc etc. :yes: that's what i think anyway ...

ReputationRep:
    The decision is up to you!

Save some money then go to SE Asia, its awesome!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.