Turn on thread page Beta

Recently I've been feeling like a lot of my friends have become much more distant. A few close ones are still ok but like two other close friends I had are becoming much more distant.

At the start of the year 11 we already had a friendship group and we'd pretty much always hang out together but a lot of different people began to join it and I feel like many of them are hanging out more with those other people now and it's like I've been left behind.

I can't really understand why that is but I have a feeling that it has to do partially with my girlfriend breaking up with me. We have the same friends and I think a lot have decided to "side" with her rather than me and by that I mean like they'd usually invite both of us to, say, a party but now they are just inviting her. I don't know if this is them doing it or her possibly telling some of her closer friends she'd rather I wasn't there so they then don't invite me whereas prior to the relationship they would have.

I'm quite a shy person and so it's a bit harder for me to make friends with completely new people. I'm not sure if it's because of this that I've been left behind or other reasons. However, I'm not sure if I should try bond more with them and these other people in the friendship group or just not bother. I say not bother because do I really want friends that would quickly become distant due to a break-up between their two friends or for other reasons? I don't know though - because it might be their fault or mine.

ReputationRep:
    Always happens. I'm still in touch with maybe 4 or 5 people I went to college with.

ReputationRep:
    It happens. Sometimes you might have to work at the relationships with them a lot harder than you had to before. If their worth keeping, you will both make the effort.

To add - I just finished Year 11 so this isn't me going to university and worrying about losing old friends as I know that happens a lot.

Many of my friends will be going to same school but I'm changing to go to another sixth form so I think this could be another reason. I really hope I do find good friends at the sixth form though but I'm worried that my shyness will be a problem (and the fact that I don't give good first impressions).

ReputationRep:
    Like has been said - it happens, quite a lot. I can only assume here but I don't think they're really friends worth keeping that close to you if they'll just become distant because you broke up with someone that they were friends with too, I mean, you're their friend too! Just hope that sixth form is better and that you meet other/better friends there.

ReputationRep:
    this is happening to me right now, except I'm at uni and its my home friendship group. IT SUCKS SO MUCH...

ReputationRep:
    it happens. move on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.