Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm gonna be doing biomedical sciences from September, and was just wondering a few things about the course, so it would be great if someone could enlighten me

How many hours a week do we spend in lectures and in labs? and how many tutorials do we get a week? Also, do we start turotials and lab work from the very beginning of term? I hope I can remember something from my a level days... although I realise it's a lot more advanced stuff.

Any other useful information about the course would be great, thanks

edit: also, do you sign into lectures etc?

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lifesciences-fa...ciences/year-1

It should answer a lot of your questions. Your labs and tutorials wont begin immediately, within 1-2 weeks into the term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tetedupet)
    Take a look at

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lifesciences-fa...ciences/year-1

It should answer a lot of your questions. Your labs and tutorials wont begin immediately, within 1-2 weeks into the term.
    Thanks, that's great. There are quite a lot of tutorials, that's good... I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sozzberry)
    Hey, I'm gonna be doing biomedical sciences from September, and was just wondering a few things about the course, so it would be great if someone could enlighten me

How many hours a week do we spend in lectures and in labs? and how many tutorials do we get a week? Also, do we start turotials and lab work from the very beginning of term? I hope I can remember something from my a level days... although I realise it's a lot more advanced stuff.

Any other useful information about the course would be great, thanks

edit: also, do you sign into lectures etc?
    I've uploaded my timetable from last year
    You have biochem practicals for 3 weeks then none for a while then 3 more weeks, then none again.
    Physiology practicals are every few months as there are only 4.
    There are only 2 Pharmacology practicals in the whole year.
    You get a couple of visits to the dissection room in anatomy, but you only look ie prosection.
    No chemistry practicals
    And in biology (basically evolutionary genetics) you have a couple of practicals as part of the tutorials.

No Biochem, anatomy or chemistry tutorials.
    Physiology tutorials are every couple of weeks, in total about 14, and they make you write an essay over the xmas hols!
    There are about 10 biology tutorials over the year.
    And there are 4 pharmacology tutorials over the whole year.

You get multiple choice biochem tests after each bunch of lectures on a topic. These tests come every month or so.

There are 4 physiology tests, that you do at home, online.

There are 3 chem tests multiple choice during the course.

Before xmas, you get an anatomy and pharmacology test.

Thats all I can think of at the moment If theres anything else feel free to msg me
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls Timetable.xls (23.5 KB, 228 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jc123)
    I've uploaded my timetable from last year
    That's great, definitely prefer the term 2 timetable, less early starts haha, I'm so lazy. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sozzberry)
    That's great, definitely prefer the term 2 timetable, less early starts haha, I'm so lazy. Thanks!
    Lol :P By the end of the second term we had, I think, only 4 lectures a week! And there's no lectures at all in the third term But exams are earlier than other unis, mine were from end of April to 21 May so we had a good few weeks to do nothing in halls

First term is the most packed out, so if you work hard then you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    I hate to burst your bubble, but all courses at UCL are going into the common time tabling system this coming academic year so there will be significant changes to all courses timetables compared to previous years!

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lifesciences-fa...mmon_timetable

ReputationRep:
    Well at least now there's a decent lunch break. My brain shuts down without food.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.