Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know if it would be any worth buying "A Clockwork Orange", the book. I've seen the film. Is it just the exact same, or is the book better?

ReputationRep:
    The book is better. Kubrick did a great job on the movie, but if I recall correctly, Burgess didn't like the film, because the last chapter didn't feature in it at all, where Alex has a 'coming-of-age' moment. It really set everything in perspective, and I think the film lacked that sense of closure. It's a lot more fun to read it too, to learn the language that the characters use, as opposed it being a bit of a side line on the film.

ReputationRep:
    I would certainly recommend reading the book. The language to begin with is difficult to get used to but it is a very good book and well worth reading. The film adaptation is loyal to the book but how I look at it is nothing beats the original version, so I'd certainly recommend getting the book.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have both the book and the DVD and I would definitely say buy the book :yep:

You somehow just get used to the language.

ReputationRep:
    the play is really good as well, i did it for my A level drama performance, its slightly different ending but its worth a read if you like a clockwork orange

ReputationRep:
    Its a fairly quick read aswell.

ReputationRep:
    You get more of a feel for the language ('NADSAT') in the book. This alone deems it worth reading.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but what do you mean by the "language"? Is it the way how they talk in the film like "oh my brothers, I slooeshed at Ludwig Van..." (NOT word by word lol) A lot of it just seems like cockney slang

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen the film but the book is good.

ReputationRep:
    Get the book. It's really good.

ReputationRep:
    Lol it's not cockney, it's pretty much a different language, sort of a code that the teens use.

The book is amazing, much better.. but a lot more sinister. The rape scenes in the book are worse than in the film, and all of the girls who are raped in the book are underage, like 13.. as opposed to the film which made it seem like they were all adults, which isn't the case.

The only better thing in the film is how the music plays a much more important role, but that's obviously because you can't get that across in a book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Sorry, but what do you mean by the "language"? Is it the way how they talk in the film like "oh my brothers, I slooeshed at Ludwig Van..." (NOT word by word lol) A lot of it just seems like cockney slang
    Nadsat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadsat

It's a mix up of English and Russian/Slavic.

But yeah... the book is better in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Oh, thanks all! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    the film misses out the ending, piece of crap if it wasnt for malcom mcdowell and the soundtrack it wouldnt be worthwhile at all read the book superior, more detailed more to it in general

ReputationRep:
    It's my favourite book
    However, I hate the film, it wasn't how I imagined it to be at all and important details were missed! I would definatly recommend the novel though, it's so horrorshow!

ReputationRep:
    Its one of my favourite books too, and is much more effective than the film. I know everyone talks about the shock factor in the film but I think the book puts a more sinister twist on some of the dramatic scenes. For example, Alex woo's much younger children in the book but they appear as older teens in the film.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the book... much more intoxicating, though I love the film too. The ending was best in the book, too.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't watched the movie but I have seen a fair few clips of it on youtube. I think the books are always better then movies. Nothing can beat your own imagination when reading a novel.
    I would say go get the book!

ReputationRep:
    The book is way better. There are things you have to censor in a film, and what I loved about the book was that it totally broke these 'boundaries' and it was simply extraordinary.

Even Burgess said the film was far too diluted.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.