Turn on thread page Beta

geometric interpretation of complex numbers watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I would very much appreciate your looking through my answer to the following question and letting me know any hick ups it may have..

Question: The points A, B, C, in an Argand diagram represent the complex numbers a, b, c, and  a = (1-\lambda) b + \lambda c . Prove that if λ is real then A lies on BC and divides BC in the ratio  (\lambda: 1-\lambda) , but if \lambda is complex then, in triangle ABC, AB:BC =  |\lambda| : 1 and angle ABC = arg  \lambda .

My attempt to answer:  \lambda =x+jy so a = [(1-x)+j(-y)]b+(x+jy)c. If  \lambda is real then y=0 and a is simply the convex combination of b and c and lies on BC dividing it in the ratio λ: 1-λ (:confused: shouldn't λ lie in the interval [0,1] otherwise a will lie on the extension of BC rather than on BC???) If y different to 0 then (1- \lambda ) and  \lambda are complex multiplying b and c respectively. This means that b - resp. c - is turned through the angle arg(1- \lambda ) - resp. arg \lambda - and stretched by the scale factor "modulus of 1- \lambda " - resp. :modulus of  \lambda " - to give the vector (1- \lambda )b - resp.  \lambda c . Then so long as b and c are distinct ABC is a triangle and AB/AC = (a-b)/(c-b)=[(1- \lambda )b+ \lambda c]/(c-b)= \lambda and therefore also the angle ABC = arg  \lambda . :confused: my answer to the case where  \lambda is complex sounds too confused to be right??? thanks for any help..

Made the question readable by converting to latex - Insp

ReputationRep:
    guys sorry about the ...

(1-&#955

... it's meant to read "parenthesis one minus lamda close parenthesis"

ReputationRep:
    WT?

This is confusing as hell. Use latex!

ReputationRep:
    I've only had a quick look at this so bare with me.

For the first part, i would rearrange a, to something else and it should be not that hard to see why a is on BC.

For the next part, find AB and AC in terms of b and c.

letting lambda = x + iy and going through the same motions finding AB and BC in terms of b and c, you'll soon find the ratio falls out.

Haven't managed to prove <ABC = arg lambda yet, but as i said i've only taken a quick look. Hope that helps a little bit atleast.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 3, 2009

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.