Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm at Queen Mary at the moment doing Computer Science (Well it's Business Computing but there's like 1 business-ish module in the whole degree!) and I love the uni and everything but the course not so much. I've always wanted to do business/economics/finance and I've emailed Westminster about transferring and they said they'd look at my first year results and see. They dilemma is if I do get in I don't know if I really want to go. I know QM is a waaay better uni and I absolutely love the uni itself but I know I'd do SO much better in the Westminster course. I know coming from a good uni is a plus with potential employers but isn't what you get in the degree just as important? E.g. a first from business economics/finance Westminster would be better then a Computer Science 2:2 at QMUL?

Aaahh! I'm so lost!
    Thanks in advance guys! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenOfSheeeba)
    I know coming from a good uni is a plus with potential employers but isn't what you get in the degree just as important? E.g. a first from business economics/finance Westminster would be better then a Computer Science 2:2 at QMUL?

Aaahh! I'm so lost!
    Thanks in advance guys! x
    If you know you like QMUL why not apply to do economics/business at QMUL (or one of the many other unis in london if you don't like westminster) ?

ReputationRep:
    Oh I've so tried at QM lol the one business course they do is absolutely completely full! I've tried City which I wanted to go to before but they're full too. So meh..Westminster? =/ x

ReputationRep:
    Oh I've so tried at QM lol the one business course they do is absolutely completely full! I've tried City which I wanted to go to before but they're full too. So meh..Westminster? =/ x
    How did you do in your first year, if you've done well, you might be able to get into universities that you wouldn't have been able to with just your A-Levels.

It might be worth making a list of all the universities in london that offer the course and just ring around (and do this soon before A-Level results come out), you might be surprised about which unis might be interested in taking you.

Also have you considered non-london unis ?

As for comparing Westminister versus QMUL, have a look at the unistats.com site and you can see the employment stats for the two unis.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't so that great, scraped a pass! I've looked at every uni possible but I know places like Kings or UCL would just be a straight no, as for going out of London, I want to stay in London. Not really looking to move out =/ hence why I'm down to Westminster. They either accept me, & I move and I do well or I stay at QM enjoy it but not do so great and potentially fail!

ReputationRep:
    stick where you are atm

it might work out, if not then you could try a second degree afterwards, even though its expensive but it could help out in the long run

ReputationRep:
    They either accept me, & I move and I do well or I stay at QM enjoy it but not do so great and potentially fail!
    Hmm. In that case if I was in your situation I'd go to Westminster if I thought I'd do better there.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was thinking if I do work harder, like tremendously harder I could be ok. It's just if the opportunity to do something I would enjoy is there then I should take it. I know my whole future isn't going to ride on what uni I go to, but it does make a difference?

ReputationRep:
    If i were you I'd knuckle down and try to get a good degree from QM. For most jobs it won't matter that you haven't taken Economics/Business and there is a lot of demand for IT skills in financial institutions.

Up to you though.. if you think you'll do better at Westminster then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was thinking if I do work harder, like tremendously harder I could be ok. It's just if the opportunity to do something I would enjoy is there then I should take it. I know my whole future isn't going to ride on what uni I go to, but it does make a difference?
    It does make a difference. But a 1st from Westminster is going to be better than a 2:2 from QMUL. If you thought you could do well at QMUL I might advise you to stay, but if you're not there's no point doing badly at something you don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam...)
    If i were you I'd knuckle down and try to get a good degree from QM. For most jobs it won't matter that you haven't taken Economics/Business and there is a lot of demand for IT skills in financial institutions.

Up to you though.. if you think you'll do better at Westminster then go for it.
    Yeah I'd been preparing myself to do nothing but work when I go back. Could I still go into business/finance even with a CS degree? Well I know I could, but it'd be harder? God knows I do NOT want to go into any sort of programming/networking job! Who knows, I may grow to like this course but as I stand I do not want to go into that.
    I know I'd do better at Westminster, simply because I know business won't be as tough as CS and I've done Business and Economics A/AS Levels and I actually enjoy it. It's just the institution itself.
    I know I sound really picky but I just wanted to know if it makes THAT much of a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd been preparing myself to do nothing but work when I go back. Could I still go into business/finance even with a CS degree? Well I know I could, but it'd be harder? God knows I do NOT want to go into any sort of programming/networking job! Who knows, I may grow to like this course but as I stand I do not want to go into that.
    I know I'd do better at Westminster, simply because I know business won't be as tough as CS and I've done Business and Economics A/AS Levels and I actually enjoy it. It's just the institution itself.
    I know I sound really picky but I just wanted to know if it makes THAT much of a difference.
    I would have said the degree from QM would make you more employable than a Westminster degree... but then I'm no expert

You'd be better off asking your careers advisor or even contacting a company you'd consider working for and asking them.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    It does make a difference. But a 1st from Westminster is going to be better than a 2:2 from QMUL. If you thought you could do well at QMUL I might advise you to stay, but if you're not there's no point doing badly at something you don't like.
    See if I knew I could do well at it, I'd stay. I'm a tad pessimistic! =/ & think I'm just destined to fail this course! On the other hand I do want to prove to myself I can do it with hard work. On the other other hand a 1st in degree would be nice!

ReputationRep:
    See if I knew I could do well at it, I'd stay. I'm a tad pessimistic! =/ & think I'm just destined to fail this course! On the other hand I do want to prove to myself I can do it with hard work. On the other other hand a 1st in degree would be nice!
    I've tutored a few people doing CS, and what I've found is that most people who struggle find it difficult because they haven't fully understood the basics.

If you decide to stick with your course find someone on your course who's doing well and get them to go over the bits you find difficult. It's often not something complicated, but rather something basic which you've over-looked which ends up making everything else look complicated because you can't figure out how it all fits together.

ReputationRep:
    Don't come westminster, i have a few friends who study business studies there and they say they don't get taught anything at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.