Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

This isn't about me, but for the sake of the thread lets pretend it is.

I've just finished first year at university (manchester). I didn't do well and want to change courses. However, my university doesn't do the course I want to do which means I HAVE to change university.

I don't have any problem with changing university, however theres a big problem with moving because I have already signed a contract for a room in a house with my friends. I have done this through private accomodation. My friends will be chucked out of the house unless I find someone to take my place.

What do I do? Who do I talk to? What websites and organisations deal with this? Are there people out there willing to live with strangers who are already friends?

Many thanks in advance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You should email Manchester accommodation first and see if they know of anybody who is looking for somewhere to live. They can then pass on "your" number to the interested parties and hopefully your friends can choose somebody who they would like to live with. Otherwise you could use facebook, make an application, etc. Quite a lot of my mates have done this and it seems to have worked for them. There will definitely be people still looking for somewhere to live.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/ - this is a pretty good site, I found someone for my room within a couple of weeks

ReputationRep:
    There are certainly people still looking for places in my area - i'm one of them! It being August, i'm expecting to have to move in with a group of people who are already friends so I don't think that would be a problem.

From what I understand, I don't think your friends would be kicked out of the house if your room wasn't filled. I would have thought you will remain responsible for the rent until you find someone to take over your room, but they would be fine to live there even if your room is empty - as long as the rent is paid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.