Turn on thread page Beta

Majority of UK against Iraq/Afghanistan wars, yet immigrants not allowed to be watch

ReputationRep:
    Recent surveys have unanimously showed that the majority of UK citizens are against the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. A recent proposal is aimed at denying citizenship to immigrants who show to be anti-war.

Is this ok? Is it hypocritical? Debate.

ReputationRep:
    A recent proposal is aimed at denying citizenship to immigrants who show to be anti-war.

LMAO WOW. Whose proposal is this? Because it sounds like the proposal of a complete nutter attempting to prevent possible Muslim terrorists (:zomg:) from immigrating and becoming citizens, as if they'd bother going through all the rigmarole of completing a citizenship test just to blow themselves up afterwards.

Much as complete nutters are wont to kill mosquitoes with sledgehammers.

Well, okay, either that or just someone rabidly nationalist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    A recent proposal is aimed at denying citizenship to immigrants who show to be anti-war.

LMAO WOW. Whose proposal is this? Because it sounds like the proposal of a complete nutter attempting to prevent possible Muslim terrorists (:zomg:) from immigrating and becoming citizens, as if they'd bother going through all the rigmarole of completing a citizenship test just to blow themselves up afterwards.

Much as complete nutters are wont to kill mosquitoes with sledgehammers.

Well, okay, either that or just someone rabidly nationalist.
    Yep, it's perfectly true and happening.

Read more.

ReputationRep:
    Actively protesting against troops is a bit different to merely being against the war. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    Yep, it's perfectly true and happening.

Read more.
    Meh, Labour minister, complete nutter, same difference.

In all fairness, while I don't agree with it, I can see what their logic is to be honest. Although I cannot enunciate it. And I think you overstated what the proposal was in your paraphrasal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Temporal)
    Actively protesting against troops is a bit different to merely being against the war. :rolleyes:
    Well protesting is perfectly legal.

The guy who came up with this thing actually agreed that "Immigrants are supoposed to be nice before getting the citizenship and after they get it they can be against the war/protest"

A bit weird, surely no-one would protest if they wanted citizenship - then how is it going to work?

ReputationRep:

The guy who came up with this thing actually agreed that "Immigrants are supoposed to be nice before getting the citizenship and after they get it they can be against the war/protest"

A bit weird, surely no-one would protest if they wanted citizenship - then how is it going to work?
    What point are you trying to make, exactly?

ReputationRep:
    What point are you trying to make, exactly?
    The point is that those who wish to get citizenship to try to infiltrate/attack/damage/plot against the UK will simply not protest against the wars, get he citizenship and then do whatever they planned afterwards.

I'm questioning the efficiency of the policy.

ReputationRep:
    The point is that those who wish to get citizenship to try to infiltrate/attack/damage/plot against the UK will simply not protest against the wars, get he citizenship and then do whatever they planned afterwards.
    I'm sure that could be construed as a factor in the implementation of this new system; however, catching potential terrorists isn't the sole motivation for this policy.

Phil Woolas is quoted as stating that protesting against British troops 'enrages' law abiding Britons.

ReputationRep:

Did you ever think it´s just another labour gimmick to win voters? Especially as a lot of former labour voters are now voting BNP.

ReputationRep:
    As a British citizen i might protest the troops... i am sick of the tabloid scum trying to make peaceful protesters look evil. What are they going to do to me.....

I hate how MPs are pandering to the white working class sun readers.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, OP, your thread title is completely misleading and hyperbolic. Immigrants ARE allowed to be against the war; however, it may be detrimental to their citizenship application if they actively protest against British troops.

ReputationRep:
    People have the right to protest what ever they please be that the construction of wind turbines near their home, MPs expenses, student fees, the arms trade, or our countries wars overseas.

The people who are often opposed to people expressing their views via peaceful protest, are often the ones that claim to be patriotic and love Britain. It is therefore somewhat baffling that they are against a fundamental right that is the corner stone of modern democracy in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, OP, your thread title is completely misleading and hyperbolic. Immigrants ARE allowed to be against the war; however, it may be detrimental to their citizenship application if they actively protest against British troops.
    I'm sorry, the limited character number didn't allow me to elaborate sensibly.

ReputationRep:
    Citizens should show the upmost loyalty. Dual citizenship should be banned and also birthright citizenship should also not continue to be a policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    Citizens should show the upmost loyalty. Dual citizenship should be banned and also birthright citizenship should also not continue to be a policy.
    Wow.

Well I'm glad you're not in government.

ReputationRep:
    Dual citizenship breeds division and disloyalty.

Birthright citizenship allows for illegal immigrants to use "loopholes" to their advantage at our expense.

Both very sensible policies.

ReputationRep:
    Dual citizenship breeds division and disloyalty
    how? i have British and Russian citizenship. if i was forced to give up my Russian citizenship would that make me any more loyal ? i have great respect and love for this country too for all that its given to me and my family over the decade and a bit that we have lived here. I respect its culture and laws and i dont go round on weekends with some degenerates with signs saying that British service men are scum and deserve to die or w/e (infact i believe that the British army should be utmost respected because even though they might be fighting a war with which not everyone agrees at the end of the day they are willing to put their lives on the line to protect this country and its citizens from any dangers). sure i will always love Russia more but thats not because i have a piece of paper saying that im also a Russian citizen .

furthermore i swear in these type of threads many dont seem to realize that theres a difference between a group of people who protest with signs saying e.g: "Bring our boys back, theyre dieing in a futile war" or something and those protesting with signs saying: "British soldiers are scum and will burn in hell for ever, death to them all" etc.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think activist protesting should be punished by deportation? Seriously?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.