Turn on thread page Beta

Scared of the gym, reassure me that its a pleasant environment watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to start going to the gym but I'm scared that as soon as I start doing any kind of weights people will look at my non existant arms and look at the size of the weight i'm doing, and just laugh to themselves

I have an inkling this might not be true but just reassure me to put me on the road to being happy with my body, thx

ReputationRep:
    Everyone there will laugh at you and make you cry. Have fun.

But seriously, no one gives a crap if you have big arms or not, they'll be too involved in their own routines to care.

ReputationRep:
    It's full of 300lb men who will eat you for a post workout meal.

Nah, seriously it is...

ReputationRep:
    everyone starts somewhere...

apart from the 300lbs men. they were born that way. my thoughts go out to their mothers.

ReputationRep:
    Only situation I can think of where you might get ridicule is if there's a bunch of chavy mid-teenagers there, otherwise no one gives a ****.

edit: The chavs will most likely be skinny streaks of piss too, though

ReputationRep:
    Bodybuilders will rape you and give you AIDS.

ReputationRep:
    Your best bet is to break into the gym in the middle of the night. Then it will be empty and so you can go about your routine. Make sure you disable the burglar alarms first though. Although it could give you some warm up cardio if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    dnt turn ur back in the showers!!

ReputationRep:
    It really isn't even close to a big deal. An alternative is to invest in some of your own weights and use them at home for a few months as well as some push-ups. I reckon that should be more than enough to bulk up your arms a little more + it'll be infinitely cheaper.

But yea, what's the worst that can actually happen? A lot of people who go gym have their own problems and insecurities, many being bigger than yours. Just go give it a shot.

ReputationRep:
    ive got free membership to a gym through work but im scared to go on my own lol

ReputationRep:
    Mostly everyone there lifting the weights essentially want bigger arms/chest whatever, so its obvious your doing it because you want to get bigger, they'll respect you.

People will stare if you yank out heavy weights and do everything in ****** form and look around to see if people are acknowledging you lifting heavy weights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil Selway)
    I want to start going to the gym but I'm scared that as soon as I start doing any kind of weights people will look at my non existant arms and look at the size of the weight i'm doing, and just laugh to themselves

I have an inkling this might not be true but just reassure me to put me on the road to being happy with my body, thx
    you massive fanny! you don't go to the gym because you are are big, you go because you are small

ReputationRep:
    same here cant take the first step

2pacs outlaw napolean talks about his lyfe with and after 2pac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqIeX...layer_embedded

ReputationRep:
    Nobody gives a crap about newbies.

The only people who get grief are those who get in the way because they're too oblivious to what people are doing around them, and those training with ridiculous form.

So stay out of peoples way and make sure you're doing things right.

ReputationRep:
    Nah at my gym I get paranoid sometimes 'cos I'm a girl lol

ReputationRep:
    If i get an induction at the gym, (this is my local government run leisure centre place) will the guy teach me about form and how to use the machines etc?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil Selway)
    If i get an induction at the gym, (this is my local government run leisure centre place) will the guy teach me about form and how to use the machines etc?
    Hopefully. Its quite hard to do most of the machine stuff wrong, but it happens.

Most people I see training like idiots cant have listened during their induction.

ReputationRep:
    No one will openly mock you unless they're a stupid ****. A lot of the guys down there will probably be quite friendly, and you'll be able to find times when it's less packed then others.

The gym i go to is basically a big converted house, i only pay £2 a session XD. But all the other dudes down there apart from me and my mates are huge, but rather than ridicule us, most of them decided to help our training, and their advice is invaluable.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on cycling to the gym (it'll only be a 5 min cycle) so will prob save my shower til home - no risk of being bummed in the changing rooms.

Saab - thats a good point that people seeing that I'm a newbie will hopefully be more likely to look on me favourably to help my quest! I think my gym is £4ish a session which isnt too bad. Not buying a sub since i'm off to uni soon.

Thanks for the advice guys, espec red alerts.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.