Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scared of the gym, reassure me that its a pleasant environment Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superstar6318)
    Nah at my gym I get paranoid sometimes 'cos I'm a girl lol
    if you have a nice ass i guarentee there will be loads of people working out behind you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil Selway)
    I'm planning on cycling to the gym (it'll only be a 5 min cycle) so will prob save my shower til home - no risk of being bummed in the changing rooms.

Saab - thats a good point that people seeing that I'm a newbie will hopefully be more likely to look on me favourably to help my quest! I think my gym is £4ish a session which isnt too bad. Not buying a sub since i'm off to uni soon.

Thanks for the advice guys, espec red alerts.
    Just don't try and go for a weight you can't handle. Make sure you have good form.

And when in doubt, ask someone that works at the gym, they'd be more than happy to help. There are inductions before joining a gym anyway, so you can ask as much as you want then.

ReputationRep:
    If i get an induction at the gym, (this is my local government run leisure centre place) will the guy teach me about form and how to use the machines etc?
    If you're planning to build muscle, don't waste your time with the weight machines. Go straight for the free weights, although make sure you learn the correct form properly. Free weights excercises involve a lot more muscles than machines and they develop your strength much faster.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody has to start from somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    no1s born with muscles! they all had 'non existent arms' as you put it before they started the gym too
    dw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    no1s born with muscles!
    Yup this is true!

Nah, actually it's not.

ReputationRep:
    The only person who will give you a hard time is yourself.

ReputationRep:
    no1s born with muscles! they all had 'non existent arms' as you put it before they started the gym too
    dw!
    So we're just born as a blob?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Hazzard]Everyone there will laugh at you and make you cry. Have fun.

But seriously, no one gives a crap if you have big arms or not, they'll be too involved in their own routines to care.[/QUOTE]

This

ReputationRep:
    dw!

ohh....i feel like a jelly fish now....

oh no wait...jelly fish must have muscle cells to propel themselves in water.....

i don't know what i am

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot for the reassurance. I went in and applied for an induction which is tomorrow at 9am.

Reasons to be happy:
    I've paid for the induction so not much chance of me chickening out
    Its at 9am so there wont be that many people

Reasons to be sad:
    I have to brave going into a gym for the first time
    Can't drink much tonight :rolleyes:

Cheers guys. Will let you know how it goes (if anyones actually interested)

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silllllllllllllllly!
    Gyms are great!!!!
    People go to gym's because they want to improve their physiqye..just like you.
    x it wil be fun, i promise!

ReputationRep:
    Will let you know how it goes (if anyones actually interested)
    :clap2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggles128)
    Don't be silllllllllllllllly!
    Gyms are great!!!!
    People go to gym's because they want to improve their physiqye..just like you.
    x it wil be fun, i promise!
    You sure about that?

ReputationRep:
    I always feel a bit like that, so I just try to get on doing what i'm doing and leave

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys. Will let you know how it goes (if anyones actually interested)
    I'm happy :yes:

The instructor guy is really helpful and is writing up my programme, although after my induction I did 3 sets of the heaviest weight i could do 8-12 reps with (as was advised) with all of the excercises he showed me and wasn't too self concious at all. I saw the odd glance at which weight I was using etc but wasn't too phased by that as I'm clearly a newbie!

Its kind of like a game.. will enjoy seeing the dumbells I use increase in size (hopefully) eg for chest press and some other ones i cant remember the name of.

thanks for reassurance, probably wouldnt have happened without you guys!

ReputationRep:
    Glad it went ok.

Gym should be fun. Walking out of every session with a sense of achievement as you bash up the weight, nothing like it.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't be idiot, that will get you notice. There's a guy in my gym, skinny as hell yet all he does is bicep curls and rolls his sleeves and is constantly looking in the mirror to admire his skinny little arms.

When you're skinny and weak you're best of concentrating on the big compound lifts (squats, bench, deadlift etc) and working on those to increase your strength.

ReputationRep:
    I want to start going to the gym but I'm scared that as soon as I start doing any kind of weights people will look at my non existant arms and look at the size of the weight i'm doing, and just laugh to themselves

I have an inkling this might not be true but just reassure me to put me on the road to being happy with my body, thx
    Everyone is so fussed about their own work out routine that they will hardly even look at you, that's what it's like at my gym anyway. After all isn't that the whole point of going to the gym? To beef up or loose weight? People who make fun of others or laugh must be a bit simple because it's not like they were born with muscles, they had to go through the same work out routine to get their muscles and they must remember that. Just do your thing and good luck with the training!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for good will guys. Am aching all over (which i guess is a good thing?)!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.