Turn on thread page Beta

Scared of the gym, reassure me that its a pleasant environment watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil Selway)
    Thanks for good will guys. Am aching all over (which i guess is a good thing?)!
    Yeah, you'll ache for a about 2 weeks-ish. That subsides. But remember to eat. Eat a lot. And that's still probably not enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Yeah, you'll ache for a about 2 weeks-ish. That subsides. But remember to eat. Eat a lot. And that's still probably not enough.
    So does eating during this period help me strengthen more or something?

Plus - 2 weeks?! I was hoping to get back to the gym tomorrow for another session!

ReputationRep:

Plus - 2 weeks?! I was hoping to get back to the gym tomorrow for another session!
    Yes, you still need to go to the gym, even if you're sore. Just work through it, it will stop being so bad after a while.

Yes eating is very important. Very very important. Some estimates reckon training is 80% food.

You need the calories/protein/carbs/fats to aid in muscle growth and repair. This helps you recover between sessions. You'll never grow and get strong unless you eat. I don't really know your size but if you're average then a minimum of 3000kcal a day wouldn't be too extreme an amount.

You should probably keep an eye on macros (carb:protein:fat ratios), but really, if you're really really skinny, it's far more important that you eat, than what you eat.

For now, just eat. Everything. You can learn about all the intricacies diet and nutrition and planning your diet, but in the mean time just eat. Worrying about WHAT your eating is less important than JUST EATING. At least for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Yes, you still need to go to the gym, even if you're sore. Just work through it, it will stop being so bad after a while.

Yes eating is very important. Very very important. Some estimates reckon training is 80% food.

You need the calories/protein/carbs/fats to aid in muscle growth and repair. This helps you recover between sessions. You'll never grow and get strong unless you eat. I don't really know your size but if you're average then a minimum of 3000kcal a day wouldn't be too extreme an amount.

You should probably keep an eye on macros (carb:protein:fat ratios), but really, if you're really really skinny, it's far more important that you eat, than what you eat.

For now, just eat. Everything. You can learn about all the intricacies diet and nutrition and planning your diet, but in the mean time just eat. Worrying about WHAT your eating is less important than JUST EATING. At least for now.
    Thanks for some solid advice. To give you some more info, I am indeed skinny, i'd say about 10stone for 5'11 or 6' of me. This is why i've gone to the gym, I will definitely try eating more although I dont quite get how people do this (I live with my parents, i'm off to uni in sept) as are you meant to go out and buy yourself food? I can only eat whats in my kitchen!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for some solid advice. To give you some more info, I am indeed skinny, i'd say about 10stone for 5'11 or 6' of me. This is why i've gone to the gym, I will definitely try eating more although I dont quite get how people do this (I live with my parents, i'm off to uni in sept) as are you meant to go out and buy yourself food? I can only eat whats in my kitchen!
    You'll have to figure that out for yourself. Drink whole milk. Eat peanut butter, bagels, fatty fish to make up a good bulk of calories. But you need carbs too, so lots of pasta is good. These things are cheap calorie dense.

If you were to follow a really good intense routine like Starting Strength, you'd need a lot of calories just to recover. The author of that routine pretty much mandates that all skinny novices drink a gallon of whole milk a day (GOMAD). US gallon, so about 7 pints. That's 2400kcal right there. This may seem extreme, but lots of people have had success with it; just expect to get very strong and big, but don't expect to have a six pack (though some trainees can still retain visible abs even with GOMAD). It depends on your goals.

ReputationRep:
    I remember first going to the gym and struggling to bench just the bar, I struggled to stabilise it, when I first put some weight on I was all over the place.

I felt pretty insecure back then. Nobody will care, you'll soon fly up the weights anyway.

ReputationRep:

You feel sore because your breaking down your poor muscles, which tells your body :eek: I need to build bigger muscles than before, which also stimulates increased growth hormones.

You need to eat well to to feed the production of those bigger muscles. eventually you'll reach a stage where your happy with your weight and you will be maintaining and touching up bits, a lot easier. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    doesnt gomad make your **** come out funny?? Mine starts to turn questionable after about 2L a day worth of milk ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    Ok, but even if I eat a lot are you sure its still advisable to go back to the gym tomorrow (I went yesterday which i'm still aching from) if i am still in the same state? I thought i'd read countless stuff about only going back when your body tells you you're ready.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, but even if I eat a lot are you sure its still advisable to go back to the gym tomorrow (I went yesterday which i'm still aching from) if i am still in the same state? I thought i'd read countless stuff about only going back when your body tells you you're ready.
    This is all you need to read:

(Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    Now I also know that you're supposed to 'listen to your body', but my brain says 'don't be a pussy, and just lift the ******* weights', and that's just what I do.
    Work through it, you're not injured, it's just DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness). This will be less and less of a problem after a couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    This is all you need to read:

Work through it, you're not injured, it's just DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness). This will be less and less of a problem after a couple of weeks.
    Ok, thanks
    do you think I'm going to perform worse than on my first go yesterday? (eg i have a mental note of how many reps max i can do with certain weights in certain excercises, will i underperform against those achievements?) cos of DOMS?

I mean for example if my chest and arms still hurt as much as they do now, tomorrow morning when i plan to go the gym, i'll probably find myself giving it another days rest! Is this completely insane? The idea from the internet seems to be half 'wait til your ready' and half 'ignore the pain' but i think i'm going to have a rubbish workout if i feel like i still do!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks
    do you think I'm going to perform worse than on my first go yesterday? (eg i have a mental note of how many reps max i can do with certain weights in certain excercises, will i underperform against those achievements?) cos of DOMS?
    It will be harder, but that's not to say you won't be able to lift more. Right now it doesn't really matter much. Just get in there. Get yourself comfortable with everything; especially barbells.

As you learn and research and read more on the subject, you'll get a better idea of what goals you want and how you're going to get there.

Right now, just work hard and learn the important lifts. Squats, deadlifts, presses and rows. I mean it, don't waste time doing nothing but curls and leg extensions. Learn the above lifts. It doesn't matter how light your lifting right now, just lift it. It's extremely important if you want great success and results in the gym.

That and eating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    It will be harder, but that's not to say you won't be able to lift more. Right now it doesn't really matter much. Just get in there. Get yourself comfortable with everything; especially barbells.

As you learn and research and read more on the subject, you'll get a better idea of what goals you want and how you're going to get there.

Right now, just work hard and learn the important lifts. Squats, deadlifts, presses and rows. I mean it, don't waste time doing nothing but curls and leg extensions. Learn the above lifts. It doesn't matter how light your lifting right now, just lift it. It's extremely important if you want great success and results in the gym.

That and eating.
    Thanks If i notice a considerable difference tomorrow morning, I will probably head down to the gym.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to follow what my instructor has told me for the mo which isssss 6 basic excercises to get me used to the gym (includes presses, squats and rows) once every two days (doing 3 sets of the highest weight i can do 8-12 reps with) and then in a few weeks he's writing me a programme including bars and stuff which he'll show me. That sound ok?

ReputationRep:
    I don't trust gym instructors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I don't trust gym instructors.
    Aha ok, i'm happy with mine for the timebeing. Maybe if I want to get really big I will start making my own routines and things but for the timebeing all I want to be is not noticably skinny! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're squating, deadlifting and eating, I don't care what you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    As long as you're squating, deadlifting and eating, I don't care what you do.
    Is deadlift when its just you, and a bar, and weights (no bench or anything)?

You also mentioning squatting, so far i'm doing that with a dumbell in each hand.(i'm still feeling the effects pretty badly on my thighs/hamstring, which is why i'm worried about tomorrow) I think my instructor said he's keeping me to dumbells not bars for 2 weeks at which point he'll do a proper thing with bars and everything.

And eating..well hmm. I am only 17 and quite an..inconsistent eater but I wil try my best to eat as much as I can when a proper meal is actually made :p:

ReputationRep:
    Is deadlift when its just you, and a bar, and weights (no bench or anything)?

You also mentioning squatting, so far i'm doing that with a dumbell in each hand.(i'm still feeling the effects pretty badly on my thighs/hamstring, which is why i'm worried about tomorrow) I think my instructor said he's keeping me to dumbells not bars for 2 weeks at which point he'll do a proper thing with bars and everything.

And eating..well hmm. I am only 17 and quite an..inconsistent eater but I wil try my best to eat as much as I can when a proper meal is actually made :p:
    A deadlift is just picking up the weighted barbell off the floor. Obviously there's more to it than that.

That sounds like 2 wasted weeks that could've added a minimum 15kg to your squat. Minimum.

I suppose once he shows you the lifts, do Starting Strength and tell him and his routine to **** off.

Good luck either way.

ReputationRep:
    I want to start going to the gym but I'm scared that as soon as I start doing any kind of weights people will look at my non existant arms and look at the size of the weight i'm doing, and just laugh to themselves

I have an inkling this might not be true but just reassure me to put me on the road to being happy with my body, thx
    No one cares, just don't make a fool out of yourself meaning..as in not sure how this machine works and you do the complete opposite that will injury yourself.

I see people skinny, fat to muscular. What counts to me, they actually at a gym doing something than nothing. What else can i say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2Av)
    No one cares, just don't make a fool out of yourself meaning..as in not sure how this machine works and you do the complete opposite that will injury yourself.

I see people skinny, fat to muscular. What counts to me, they actually at a gym doing something than nothing. What else can i say?
    Too much already.

Late to the game.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.