Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scared of the gym, reassure me that its a pleasant environment Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem when I started going to the Gym, the one I attend tends to be filled with 300 lb body builders...

It was really intimidating at first, but you soon realise that none of them really seem bothered about the size of your muscles lol... Infact they tend to be a bunch of really friendly people, most of them know what they are doing and tend to give you tips on what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil Selway)
    Is deadlift when its just you, and a bar, and weights (no bench or anything)?

You also mentioning squatting, so far i'm doing that with a dumbell in each hand.(i'm still feeling the effects pretty badly on my thighs/hamstring, which is why i'm worried about tomorrow) I think my instructor said he's keeping me to dumbells not bars for 2 weeks at which point he'll do a proper thing with bars and everything.

And eating..well hmm. I am only 17 and quite an..inconsistent eater but I wil try my best to eat as much as I can when a proper meal is actually made :p:
    Dead lift is done from a squatting position, with a bar bell without weights or very light weights in your case, lifting it to your thigh. It's a great workout for your back but make sure you have the instructor help you with your form, the quality of your lift and reps. programme is far more important than the weight at this stage.

As for your workouts, be consistent in which days you attend, the pain is good (as long as it's not serious), and will only get better if you go. Working out three times a week on intermediate days, is a solid regime.

Remember your training your internal organs to consistently produce development hormones and muscle, which requires consistency to be most effective, while the bodies natural disposition is to maintain and repair.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.