Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am preparing my masters applications for admission next year, but I am increasingly running into questions which I can not answer by myself.
    Currently, I am a Politics/International Relations major but I would like to do something more Economics related in my masters. After studying Politics/IR I know that I totally love my degree but I want to work in a good and interesting job in the private sector (and I believe I have a better chance to get one if I add at least some aspects of Econ to my life).

The two courses in the headline both sound extremely appealing and fascinating to me from the description on the LSE website and from what I have heard so far. I was wondering if anyone can give me some more information about them.

1. My quantitative background is not very strong (but my Math skills and my Econ knowledge are not too bad). How much of a disadvantage would this be for admission to any of the two courses (and also; would I be disadvantaged compared to other students if I get admitted?)
    2. The Management program sounds really nice to me since it is a) two years long and b) it seems I could catch up with some Econ (I wish I had more of it in my Bachelor...). But would it make sense to have a Politics/IR Bachelor and then a Management master? I mean wouldn't private sector companies consider this inferior compared to Econ graduates? What would be my chance to land private sector jobs, for example in Banking/Consulting?
    3. As for International Political Economy, how do you believe are the job prospects compared to the Management program (and on which fields would I be more likely to work after such degree?)?

Hmm, thats a lot of questions and some are very specific. But I thought I would give it a go, maybe someone here can help. Thanks in advance guys!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have been admitted into the MSc IPE and may start the program this fall, unless I receive an offer for the MPA program (currently I am on the reserve list).

1- Surly the lack of quantitative background will not harm you if you choose to pursue the MSc IPE program, as it is not quantitatively based but for one course which is Comparative Political Economy. In addition, it won't harm you if you pursue the MSc Management as you will be taught the necessary math skills for the program during your study. Remember that the latter is open to students from all backgrounds.

2- It would make the "best" of sense to pursue a master in management after your IR 1st degree. You would learn in 2 years on that program what a business major would learn in 4 years. This is why I always think that it is useless to pursue a management degree as an undergraduate. It is better to take courses that enable students to acquire good analytical and writing skills, such as Econ and IR. Finally, the Management program at LSE does not at all have a strong Economic aspect. In fact, if you are interested in learning about some economic theories, you would be better served at the IPE program. You can also take Econ courses at LSE while being a student from either program.

3- The job prospects for both programs are high. But each one would prepare you better for a different type of career (although it is not impossible for a graduate from one program to have a career typical of the other program). Your best course of action here would be to check the websites of LSE that show where the graduates of past years of these program went for work to see which one has lead to interesting paths. http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/gra...atecareers.htm and http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/gra...atecareers.htm

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot. Thats really helpful! I had the same thoughts about Management and was hesitant to take it as my first degree but I might apply for it for postgraduate.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.