Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Lib Dems Want To Ban Airbrushed Ads Aimed At Kids watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8181499.stm

What do you think? Seems a bit trivial to me.

ReputationRep:
    Why not ban them altogether and show what is actually possible?

ReputationRep:
    maybe they should just give people photoshop so everyone can make themselves look prety =]

ReputationRep:
    Adverts that use extensive editing and effects are misleading not only to children but also to consumers, all adverts that utilise airbrushing should be stopped. Lets show these L'oreal skin creams for what they really are, overpriced gimmicks. All of the make up adverts are nonsense, if you can make out the convenient white small print at the bottom of the screen they always have disclaimers about how the lashes are not real, or how they've been digitally enhanced.

It's all a misleading con and the interesting video entitled Dove evolution on youtube highlights it perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    It's an idiotic & vaguely fascistic idea
    classic lib dems
    popularist nonsense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytk)

My MP deals with this counties big issues:
    1) Tax on Sun cream
    2) Parliament Youtube videos
    and now 3)Airbrushing of photos.

She's got to start somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    This whole "adverts make normal looking people feel bad" thing is such a ******* farce, people just need a better grip on what reality is and how advertising actually works.
    I don't think its really a government's place to censure or ban things like airbrushing just because stupid people might get upset by it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bete noire)
    This whole "adverts make normal looking people feel bad" thing is such a ******* farce, people just need a better grip on what reality is and how advertising actually works.
    I don't think its really a government's place to censure or ban things like airbrushing just because stupid people might get upset by it...
    Is it not a cultural thing though?
    There's some scary statistics related to advertising and its effect on people's minds.

2% of America's GDP is spent on advertising.
    1% of Britain's GDP is spent on advertising.
    0.5% is spent in other Western European Countries such as France and Germany.

Is it any worder we've got twice the level of mental illness and affluenza in English speaking countries compared to mainland Western Europe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytk)

Seems like another reason why the party should be renamed "Illiberal Democrats."

ReputationRep:
    Great response to this on Liberal Vision's blog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bete noire)
    That's why any ban would be specifically aimed at childrens adverts - most adults know the adverts are edited and unreal, so it doesn't worry them, but most 9 year olds wouldn't realise or know about Photoshop. Therefore some would always be slightly insecure as children then become insecure teenagers with a host of psychological problems.

ReputationRep:
    Well they wouldn't..

Advertising is a big market and production companies pay alot to be on TV, so in this climate I don't think they would ban ads.

ReputationRep:
    Loose women were talking about this yesterday I think, and I agree with Carol who said that, in fashion magazines, I don't want to see fat, spotty people. People need to be able to differentiate from reality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Adverts that use extensive editing and effects are misleading not only to children but also to consumers, all adverts that utilise airbrushing should be stopped. Lets show these L'oreal skin creams for what they really are, overpriced gimmicks. All of the make up adverts are nonsense, if you can make out the convenient white small print at the bottom of the screen they always have disclaimers about how the lashes are not real, or how they've been digitally enhanced.

It's all a misleading con and the interesting video entitled Dove evolution on youtube highlights it perfectly.

That is a fantastic video!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandro)
    It's an idiotic & vaguely fascistic idea
    classic lib dems
    popularist nonsense
    ^ :laugh: really? I think airbrushing is idiotic and fascist. Accurate representation of reality is simply straightforward and honest. What do you know, the media pressure isn't put on you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It's true that people have lost touch with what humans look like. They find naked people gross, ugly, etc.

That's a problem. People are overly concerned with looking in ways they are not designed to look like.

In an era of boob implants and (shockingly) pecs implants, something is wrong. People are feeling undesirable if they look... like... people. Which is commonly what is seen as "ugly". No, people are not ugly. This is what people look like (look around, look in the mirror) and those who aim for something better are diluded.

I am 100% for the art of photoshop and the art behind fashion, but making this the norm for the general population is putting stress on people and is simply bad-hearted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Shakespeare)
    There's some scary statistics related to advertising and its effect on people's minds.

Is it any worder we've got twice the level of mental illness and affluenza in English speaking countries compared to mainland Western Europe?
    In that case, a ban seems like a bad idea if it's going to have such a negative impact on the economy.

People just need to get a grip and pull themselves together. Get over it or GTFO. God, I hate the nanny state.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be demonstrating a childish attitude towards adverts - or indeed visual media in general - if you thought that this was a good idea.

(Original post by Bill Shakespeare)

"Correlation does not imply causation" is yapped so often by anyone who wants to appear well-informed on this forum that I'm surprised you're not familiar with it already.

This will put a lot of people out of work, and without a good enough reason - I don't think the government banning more things is required. I want to see the government start doing the opposite of that in fact.

Why not ban women wearing makeup on TV as well, oh and nice expensive clothes shouldn't be allowed either - it makes people feel bad about themselves. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    "Correlation does not imply causation" is yapped so often by anyone who wants to appear well-informed on this forum that I'm surprised you're not familiar with it already.
    I was responding to a claim that "advertising making normal people feel bad is a ******* farce."
    When there is evidence of a connection.

I recommend 'The High Price of Materalism' by Tim Kasser, if you're looking for direct evidence on causation of the rates of mental illness.

Of course it is a complicated subject and the impetus placed upon advertising is merely a symptom of a wider issue.

In the English speaking world, compared to the others I mentioned, we have other areas which can be seen as the causation:

Buisness' run for short-term share price.
    Viewpoint concerning Privitisation.
    Employment conditions and the Tax System.
    Belief in a Neo-Liberal 'market can meet all our needs' belief.

It is this materalism, which drives us towards money, image, possessions and fame, which creates double the levels of depression, anxiety, substance abuse and personality disorder.

The advertising levels are a symptom of this - a small issue, but important nonetheless.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.