Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lib Dems Want To Ban Airbrushed Ads Aimed At Kids Watch

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think all adverts aimed at children should be banned.

(Original post by croissantfever)
    To be honest, I think all adverts aimed at children should be banned.
    That's outrageous!

ReputationRep:
    I agree completely. We should do away with all airbrushed ads though, really.

ReputationRep:
    What rubbish, people need to grow up. The solution shouldn't be to shield people from images that may make them feel ugly but to communicate to them that appearance isn't worth obsessing over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    That's outrageous!
    Why? I'm talking like under 12's, they don't make any purchasing decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    What rubbish, people need to grow up. The solution shouldn't be to shield people from images that may make them feel ugly but to communicate to them that appearance isn't worth obsessing over.
    Thing is, people are still vulnerable to the distortion of reality that doctored media spreads. Our perception of the world is influenced by the media, and much of the time we don't even realise it. You don't have to be gullible or vulnerable to fall prey to the haze of mass media.
    Advertisements, paid infomercials, public relations firms, biased news... every word and every jingy tune is something people can't escape. Children should be the most shielded against messages which make an easy impression upon them.

ReputationRep:
    What, so children should be allowed to think being chubby and spotty is normal? It works both ways, I'm afraid. Yes, it's bad for little girls to be bombarded by images of skeletal women but it's just as bad to give exposure to equally unhealthy children who appear overweight and perhaps have bad skin etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undiscovery)
    What, so children should be allowed to think being chubby and spotty is normal? It works both ways, I'm afraid. Yes, it's bad for little girls to be bombarded by images of skeletal women but it's just as bad to give exposure to equally unhealthy children who appear overweight and perhaps have bad skin etc.
    Well sure, but nobody suggesting that. (Btw, what isn't normal about being spotty? loads of kids get acne when puberty hits.)

I personally think it's a good idea even though it might not be the most important issue in the world. It's in fact a lot fairer that advertisers have to show us what people actually look like when the use their products. It doesn't mean they have to use bad looking models, it doesn't mean the models can't wear make up and have good lighting etc. It just means they have to show the reality rather than something that's misleading and unattainable.

I don't even understand the point of airbrushing anyway, i mean jesus, people aren't THAT ugly in real life. If people don't mind watching emmerdale they'll be able to handle unairbrushed models.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    That's why any ban would be specifically aimed at childrens adverts - most adults know the adverts are edited and unreal, so it doesn't worry them, but most 9 year olds wouldn't realise or know about Photoshop. Therefore some would always be slightly insecure as children then become insecure teenagers with a host of psychological problems.
    Why would a child be comparing itself to an adult model?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Why would a child be comparing itself to an adult model?
    Where do you think they get their inspiration from? Why are 'child' ranges in shops just mini versions of adult clothes, for example. Because children want to grow up faster, and now we have 8 year old anorexics and 12 year olds who want boob jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytk)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8181499.stm

What do you think? Seems a bit trivial to me.
    Good idea - should be rolled out to every advert!"!!!! They should only be able to show pictures of what it actually is / does... not som ebull-crap made up better than reality verison!

bit of common sense

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.