Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello ..
    a newbie here ...

I will be departing for Cambridge for an interview. I am applying for NatSci(Bio) at Cambridge. Can anyone give me some tips on interview or tests ??
    or can anyone simply PM me and hv a nice chat ?

thanks much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gremney)
    hello ..
    a newbie here ...

I will be departing for Cambridge for an interview. I am applying for NatSci(Bio) at Cambridge. Can anyone give me some tips on interview or tests ??

thanks much
    What College?

ReputationRep:
    hello ..
    a newbie here ...

thanks much
    Hi, I'm also applying to do BioNatsci at cambridge. Which College are you applying to and when is your interview?

ReputationRep:
    it's Robinson College and the interview will be on 16/12 ..
    how about u guys ?

ReputationRep:
    how about u guys ?

ReputationRep:
    how about u guys ?
    Magdalene. I can't find anyone else who's going there for an interview though!! 16th's quite late, isn't it? One of the latest? Mine's on the 11th and I thought waiting that long was bad enough. I'm afraid I don't know anything about NatSci interviews lol. Helpful aren't I?! Good luck though (to both of you and everyone else who might happen to read this)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Emmanuel college on the 16th (cant wait!). What are you doing to prepare?
    well ..
    actually i dunno what's happening ..
    it's such a great opportunity that I am going to study my A Level subjects before I go ..
    and of course .. find a native speaker in my current school for some nice chat.. (I'm a n overseas student)

ReputationRep:
    well ..
    actually i dunno what's happening ..
    it's such a great opportunity that I am going to study my A Level subjects before I go ..
    and of course .. find a native speaker in my current school for some nice chat.. (I'm a n overseas student)
    Where you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyche)
    Magdalene. I can't find anyone else who's going there for an interview though!! 16th's quite late, isn't it? One of the latest? Mine's on the 11th and I thought waiting that long was bad enough. I'm afraid I don't know anything about NatSci interviews lol. Helpful aren't I?! Good luck though (to both of you and everyone else who might happen to read this)
    ya ..
    it's such a long time ..
    gd luck to you =)

ReputationRep:

Yeh, I was considering applying there. In the prospectus for Magdalene it gives an average of 2.7:1 applicants to places for natural sciences averaged over the last five years.

ReputationRep:
    Where you from?
    Hong Kong , Southeast of China , Asia ..
    you can find a small spot in a world map ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Yeh, I was considering applying there. In the prospectus for Magdalene it gives an average of 2.7:1 applicants to places for natural sciences averaged over the last five years.
    Not bad at all. So why did you choose not to apply there huh?! For my subject it's about 9:1 I think.

Hong Kong , Southeast of China , Asia ..
    you can find a small spot in a world map ..
    Cool! If I knew how, I'd say something in Chinese right about now.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently at Christ's doing Physics, but the basic format of the interviews is the same for the physical and the biological sciences. You will probably have one or two subject interviews, where you will be asked questions relative to the course. Some of these you will not be able to do - you are not expected to give a perfect answer to everything, rather they are looking for your ability to work through a problem methodically. If you use principles that you already know and apply them to the new situations you will be given in the interview, you should be able to answer the majority of the questions.

In the general interview (if you have one), you will be asked about yourself and your hobbies etc. Try to think before you go about what you will say if you are asked "Why did you choose Cambridge?" or "Why is this course right for you?" - these are very common questions. Also be warned that it is not unheard of for the interviewer in the general interview to ask you some subject specific questions, especially if he is in the same field as your subject (this happened to me).

Finally, don't be scared of the interviewer, they are looking for reasons to accept you, not reject you. I think you should make some sort of effort with your appearance for the interview, as it gives a good first impression of you, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a suit. I know some people that got in having worn jeans and a t-shirt for their interview.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbphd)
    I am currently at Christ's doing Physics, but the basic format of the interviews is the same for the physical and the biological sciences. You will probably have one or two subject interviews, where you will be asked questions relative to the course. Some of these you will not be able to do - you are not expected to give a perfect answer to everything, rather they are looking for your ability to work through a problem methodically. If you use principles that you already know and apply them to the new situations you will be given in the interview, you should be able to answer the majority of the questions.

In the general interview (if you have one), you will be asked about yourself and your hobbies etc. Try to think before you go about what you will say if you are asked "Why did you choose Cambridge?" or "Why is this course right for you?" - these are very common questions. Also be warned that it is not unheard of for the interviewer in the general interview to ask you some subject specific questions, especially if he is in the same field as your subject (this happened to me).

Finally, don't be scared of the interviewer, they are looking for reasons to accept you, not reject you. I think you should make some sort of effort with your appearance for the interview, as it gives a good first impression of you, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a suit. I know some people that got in having worn jeans and a t-shirt for their interview.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for ur advice ..
    they're useful

In addion ,
    What's the test all about ??

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm a Bio NatSci from Cambridge - there are quite a few of us about! Chris didn't think to tell me about this thread - shame on him.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really know what to think because my subject interview finished 15 minutes earlier than it was meant to, having started on time (so I was reasonably confident as Dr Rees said "OK, I think I have seen enough, and I hadn't made a mistake with his questions), but the general interviewer seemed to take me apart. I must have done OK though, I'm here now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Hello, I'm a Bio NatScifrom Cambridge - there are quite a few of us about! Chris didn't think to tell me about this thread - shame on him.

Ben
    Hmphety hmph with big brass bells on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbphd)
    I didn't really know what to think because my subject interview finished 15 minutes earlier than it was meant to, having started on time (so I was reasonably confident as Dr Rees said "OK, I think I have seen enough, and I hadn't made a mistake with his questions), but the general interviewer seemed to take me apart. I must have done OK though, I'm here now!
    Haha - I didn't have any 'general' interview, just 3 specific ones. I've posted about my interview experience a few times, now - just look through some of the threads with giveaway titles.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Do I need to know a lot beyond the Alevel syllabus?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.