Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How how how?

I'm finding it really hard, and I think my hair is too short? It's almost shoulder length, but it's not thick because it was butchered a while ago. It's not all one length at all, it's quite layered.

I think there's not enough hair for it to work tbh, I dunno, I think it will just fly out?

Anyway, I really want to do a french plait across the front of my head, rather than just doing a plait and clipping it over and to the side (though my hair is too short to even go all the way across my head and just ends half way now :sad:).

Anyone have any easy ways to help me French plait?

ReputationRep:
    Extensions?

Or get it cut all to the same length and wait!

ReputationRep:
    my friend kinda does a swurveeee
    so she starts at the front of her head....goes deeper back into the hair plaiting then works it back around to the front.....
    sounds abit rubbish but she looks nice with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Examboy*)
    Extensions?

Or get it cut all to the same length and wait!

Lol I can't afford decent extensions, and getting it cut all to the same length would mean having it up to my ears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Lol I can't afford decent extensions, and getting it cut all to the same length would mean having it up to my ears.
    Well I don't have a clue then!

My excuse is i'm a guy. :p:

I will suggest just waiting for a while or saving up though. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't have a clue then!

My excuse is i'm a guy. :p:

I will suggest just waiting for a while or saving up though. :dontknow:
    Lol this isn't about my hair length! It's about french plaits!!

I just want pretty hair!!! :rant:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could start a little further along your forehead (if you know what I mean? Not from by your ear) letting your parting sit there instead and plait before clipping it behind your ear. Or you could start from one side and then plait as far as you can before clipping it underneath so your hair will fall forward and cover it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Lol this isn't about my hair length! It's about french plaits!!

I just want pretty hair!!! :rant:
    A pretty face and body not good enough for you? :p:

What needs to be done, you need your hair all the same length?

ReputationRep:
    your hair probably isn't long enough. you might be able to do it, but it would have to be pretty tight and small for it to hold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watermelon sugar)
    your hair probably isn't long enough. you might be able to do it, but it would have to be pretty tight and small for it to hold.
    This.

I would probably do another style for now, let it grow and when it is long enough then you can do French Plaits.

ReputationRep:
    maru <3

ReputationRep:
    go on youtube - they're bound to have a video about how to french plait with shorter hair.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To_JQrYyCs

ReputationRep:
    A pretty face and body not good enough for you? :p:

What needs to be done, you need your hair all the same length?
    you username, lulz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    you username, lulz
    What?

ReputationRep:
    Just... do a normal plait, but pull in extra bits from the side you're on as you go. And pull quite tight. That's the only way I can explain it :dontknow: Not sure how to make it more helpful for short hair I'm afraid!

ReputationRep:
    Tools and other items you will need:

* Covered elastic bands
    * Paddle or similar brush to remove tangles
    * A little hair spray
    * A clip to keep hair not being plaited out of the way
    * Possibly a few pins or grips or odd pin if you have layers to secure any stray bits!

Simple French Braid

This is a single braid that follows the curve of the back of the head. Your hair needs to be quite long for this, a few layers won't matter as long as they reach from the side of the head to the centre back and pass it by about 10cm. You will need to know how to do a basic plait to understand the instructions. If you need some help with this first then return to simple plaiting.

Method:

1. Separate the front (including sides) of your hair from the back. Some people prefer to separate the top leaving only the sides to be added in later but this is a little more difficult. Draw the separated hair back to the crown of your head and divide it into 3 equal strands.

2. Do a quick left over centre, right over centre (as in the simple plait) to start.

3. As you continue, add extra hair taken from directly underneath each new section about to be crossed over. Then go ahead and cross it over. The amount of hair you pick up should be about the same each time.

4. Your braid will naturally follow the curve of the head as you pick up and include the new hair. Keep going until you reach the nape and all of your hair has been included.

5. Finish with a simple plait and secure with your covered band when you reach the ends of your hair .

Tips:

* Don't try to make the braid too neat to begin with, master the technique then improve on the neatness.
    * Try to keep your tension and section size the same when working on neatness.
    * Use your little finger to section, this will allow you to hold the rest of the hair firmly whilst picking up the new hair.
    * For a variation, you can finish the braid just above the nape and turn it under to form a roll that can be pinned in place.

ReputationRep:
    What?
    your username made me lol. that is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    your username made me lol. that is all.
    Yeah it is kinda cool! :cool:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.