Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is running not helping me lose some weight? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm slightly chubby, only just in the stomach area, but I want to be flatter. I'm doing cross country running three times a week, started about 2 and a half weeks ago and still no results. Each run lasts 20 minutes. I still see no results though. When will I start seeing results? My metabolism should be increasing, however when I look at the scales, I weigh the same.
    Need advice here.

Edit: Just to add my diet is average, I eat good food in general and eat within moderation and snack on fruit when hungary. My reasonable to sum up. Is this good enough? Also if I can't see results in two and a half weeks and my weight doesn't change, when will I start seeing results?

ReputationRep:
    Stupid question, but I'm guessing you've changed your diet to?

These things take time 2 and a half weeks is nothing.

ReputationRep:
    You have to be burning off more energy then you are taking in.

ReputationRep:
    Try 3 months.

ReputationRep:
    You're gaining muscle?

ReputationRep:
    try doing sprints instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    You're gaining muscle?
    Running alone will not replace fat with muscle equally.

Op, you need to address your diet aswell as looking into HIIT instead of steady state cardio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising)
    Running alone will not replace fat with muscle equally.

Op, you need to address your diet aswell as looking into HIIT instead of steady state cardio.
    can you advise me on what sort of HIIT? Am I not doing enough cardio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul McGann)
    Do you have a park next to you??

If you do, sprint from one side to the other, walk back down (reasonably fast) and repeat.

ReputationRep:
    Its not so much quantity as it is quality.
    A good HIIT session will last no longer than twenty minutes maximum.
    To begin with, try 2:1 intervals. Jog for a minue to warm up, then sprint for 30 seconds, then jog for 1 minute, then sprint for 30 seconds... by the end you will feel it. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    2 and a half weeks is no time at all !!!! increase your protein content, do more core exercises such as sit ups. Included progression in you runs, ie run longer, faster. You should be absolutely exhausted after each one of your runs, otherwise you're not working hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    Its not so much quantity as it is quality.
    A good HIIT session will last no longer than twenty minutes maximum.
    To begin with, try 2:1 intervals. Jog for a minue to warm up, then sprint for 30 seconds, then jog for 1 minute, then sprint for 30 seconds... by the end you will feel it. Good luck.
    My excercise feels intense enough and I feel a difference, is that enough, HIIT seems too much, I'd only do it somewhere like in a gym, but that costs..

ReputationRep:
    .... it is because you are running to McDonalds and eating a large BIg Mac meal.
    Burning calories from running, but putting them back on when u eat that Maccies!!!

ReputationRep:
    My excercise feels intense enough and I feel a difference, is that enough, HIIT seems too much, I'd only do it somewhere like in a gym, but that costs..
    As omeronidude said, results take time. If you want optimal results though, then its all about optimal practise, but you still have to be happy with what you are doing, have you addressed your diet?

ReputationRep:
    As omeronidude said, results take time. If you want optimal results though, then its all about optimal practise, but you still have to be happy with what you are doing, have you addressed your diet?
    no, however I eat within moderation and only snack on fruit. Also how much time could this take to lose weight?

ReputationRep:
    no, however I eat within moderation and only snack on fruit. Also how much time could this take to lose weight?
    I'm afraid that its impossible to say. If you stick with it, you should begin to see results, this wont necessarily be rapid given your only slightly chubby status. Can you join a gym?

ReputationRep:
    to the op, I've lost weight but I try to run an hour most days. and as everyone says your gonna hav to be patient to see results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonboym)
    try doing sprints instead.
    Haha, you spelled 'Guardian' wrong in your sig.
    That's funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafsaay)
    Haha, you spelled 'Guardian' wrong in your sig.
    That's funny.
    it was a typo, honest!:o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.