Turn on thread page Beta

Why is running not helping me lose some weight? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul McGann)
    I'm slightly chubby, only just in the stomach area, but I want to be flatter. I'm doing cross country running three times a week, started about 2 and a half weeks ago and still no results. Each run lasts 20 minutes. I still see no results though. When will I start seeing results? My metabolism should be increasing, however when I look at the scales, I weigh the same.
    Need advice here.

Edit: Just to add my diet is average, I eat good food in general and eat within moderation and snack on fruit when hungary. My reasonable to sum up. Is this good enough? Also if I can't see results in two and a half weeks and my weight doesn't change, when will I start seeing results?
    Do some strength exercises to built up your muscles so that your muscles will help burn the fat more.

Drink a cup of green tea. It speeds up fat oxidation and stuff..

Make sure you're not eating too many carbs! Take carbs in moderation and replace all the white stuff with the brown..

Have a balanced diet and indulge sometimes in sweet stuff but don't over indulge otherwise you'll get cravings..

Drink 1.5 to 2 litres of water to help keep your body hydrated and also to help burn off additional calories (a glass burns off 27).

I hope I kind of helped.. If you have any further questions (I know so much more about diet and fitness than what I have stated) feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you need to do some sprinting, HIIT like others mentioned. Put in some cycling or swimming and eat many small meals throughout the day to raise your metabolism, should get you looking sharp, as long as you take care of your diet. Also, you might want to think about exercising specifically your stomach muscles

ReputationRep:
    It's normal.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people put questions like this in the sex forum (thats basically what it is) rather than the fitness forum where people who are into this sort of stuff will give you advice?

Running to lose weight : FAIL
    Hello knee problems...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sean kefw]Why do people put questions like this in the sex forum (thats basically what it is) rather than the fitness forum where people who are into this sort of stuff will give you advice?
    /QUOTE]

Got to agree with this statement, I only saw it because it was on the front page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul McGann)
    I'm slightly chubby, only just in the stomach area, but I want to be flatter. I'm doing cross country running three times a week, started about 2 and a half weeks ago and still no results. Each run lasts 20 minutes. I still see no results though. When will I start seeing results? My metabolism should be increasing, however when I look at the scales, I weigh the same.
    Need advice here.

Edit: Just to add my diet is average, I eat good food in general and eat within moderation and snack on fruit when hungary. My reasonable to sum up. Is this good enough? Also if I can't see results in two and a half weeks and my weight doesn't change, when will I start seeing results?
    BE PATIENT! Drastic weight loss is no good thing, gradual weight less is much healthier. With a right exercise plan it will happen.

Fat will be turning to muscle, muscle is denser...do not just go by weight, but overall tone and body fat %. EDITED (due to typical TSR patronising g*t): I meant---I do not mean that all fat will be turning to muscle, just the ratio of fat will be less and muscle increasing...NOT literally fat turning to muscle. So

Further, if you are doing a run at one pace approx you need to be doing 25mins+ to be losing more fat. Need to increase the time/intensity of your runs for sure. As others have said, do HI-IT...see Runners World website for advice, but basically you run at full pelt for varying times (based on fitness) and then jog for recovery-this can be done on flats, but it is more effective uphill.

I would advice HI-IT particularly on treadmills, as you can vary the pace and time better via this format, though hill-running outside during speedwork is very effective.

Other HI-IT of particular benefit: a rower- do full pelt for 1mins30, then rest for 30 secs approx whilst doing a slow, slow row, then do the same x3 more times.

Cycle and swim, both effective at helping lose weight, cardio health and tone.

For weight loss and reducing body fat % you really need to do weights and core work alongside running. Also overtime your body will become "used to" (so to say) do one form of exercise and the benefits will be less, so you need to vary the type you do.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    because you need to burn 3500 calories for just one pound of fat a week. the exercise probably gives you a bigger appetite...nd even if doesnt, your probably not burning enough calories

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nhala)
    Fat will be turning to muscle, muscle is denser...do not just go by weight, but overall tone and body fat %. Further, if you are doing a run at one pace approx you need to be doing 25mins+ to be losing more fat. As others have said, do HI-IT...see Runners World website for advice, but basically you run at full pelt for varying times (based on fitness) and then jog for recovery-this can be done on flats, but it is more effective uphill.

I would advice HI-IT particularly on treadmills, as you can vary the pace and time better via this format, though hill-running outside during speedwork is very effective.

Other HI-IT of particular benefit: a rower- do full pelt for 1mins30, then rest for 30 secs approx whilst doing a slow, slow row, then do the same x3 more times.

Cycle and swim, both effective at helping lose weight, cardio health and tone.

For weight loss and reducing body fat % you really need to do weights and core work alongside running. Also overtime your body will become used to do one form of exercise and the benefits will be less, so you need to vary the type you do.

Hope that helps!
    Fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leemkule)
    Fail.
    Patronising much? I know what I meant, I do not mean that all fat will be turning to muscle, just the ratio of fat will be less and muscle increasing...NOT literally fat turning to muscle. So :p:

ReputationRep:
    If your trying to loose weight off your stomach try doing 20-30 situps a day in reps of 10 with a 30 sec pause between each rep. Should help to tone up your stomach, plus i heard it helps digestion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nhala)
    Patronising much? I know what I meant, I do not mean that all fat will be turning to muscle, just the ratio of fat will be less and muscle increasing...NOT literally fat turning to muscle. So :p:
    Ah - sorry, you see I take what people actually say and react to it. Not what they meant to say - I'm not psychic. Despite that, it's very unlikely that he is building muscle doing distance running. Even if he was, what is the likelyhood that he lost the same weight in fat that he gained in muscle? Would have to be a huge coincidence.

Since he hasn't really mentioned his diets specifics, I'm gonna go with 'you can't out train a bad diet'.

ReputationRep:
    Ah - sorry, you see I take what people actually say and react to it. Not what they meant to say - I'm not psychic. Despite that, it's very unlikely that he is building muscle doing distance running. Even if he was, what is the likelyhood that he lost the same weight in fat that he gained in muscle? Would have to be a huge coincidence.

Since he hasn't really mentioned his diets specifics, I'm gonna go with 'you can't out train a bad diet'.
    I know what you mean, it wasn't clear, so sorry, but from what I said you can see I knew what I was on about. 20mins is not distance running I have to say though, clock up 1hr+, more close to 1hrs30-2hrs and beyond, that is distance running. And THAT is where true weight-loss would be shown, but OP would not have the fitness levels for that time yet, have to build-up.

I agree that although he only snacks on fruit, I think there may need to be a change in diet as others have said. You tend to eat more as you do more exercise, obv, but you need a healthy starting diet and extra calories need to come from non-junk food. Got to admit when I first started at the gym at 14 I ate a choc bar when I came back, almost eradicicating all the work I did, but if you do hard enough work you can justify a dark choc bar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobaline)
    If your trying to loose weight off your stomach try doing 20-30 situps a day in reps of 10 with a 30 sec pause between each rep. Should help to tone up your stomach, plus i heard it helps digestion!
    :facepalm: Seriously, if you haven't got a clue - don't try to give advice. Completely misleading.

ReputationRep:
    If your trying to loose weight off your stomach try doing situps
    Cant tell if you're being serious (some people have a strange sense of humour here).

Spot reduction of fat does not exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nhala)
    I know what you mean, it wasn't clear, so sorry, but from what I said you can see I knew what I was on about. 20mins is not distance running I have to say though, clock up 1hr+, more close to 1hrs30-2hrs and beyond, that is distance running. And THAT is where true weight-loss would be shown, but OP would not have the fitness levels for that time yet, have to build-up.

I agree that although he only snacks on fruit, I think there may need to be a change in diet as others have said. You tend to eat more as you do more exercise, obv, but you need a healthy starting diet and extra calories need to come from non-junk food. Got to admit when I first started at the gym at 14 I ate a choc bar when I came back, almost eradicicating all the work I did, but if you do hard enough work you can justify a dark choc bar
    Well I agree with you. However, what I really meant was the perception of a 'good' diet. I had a friend who couldn't work out why she wasn't losing weight when she 'didn't eat any junk food'. Found out pretty much all she ate was refined carbohydrates like white bread sandwhiches, pastries etc. Imo if you're trying to lose weight you should only be eating wholemeal bread/oats, lean meats, fish, nuts and a load of fruit and vegetables.

ReputationRep:
    well, i read sum where that you have to exercise for more than 45 minutes to actually start burning fats,
    so u suggest you run for a longer time each time !

ReputationRep:
    Well I agree with you. However, what I really meant was the perception of a 'good' diet. I had a friend who couldn't work out why she wasn't losing weight when she 'didn't eat any junk food'. Found out pretty much all she ate was refined carbohydrates like white bread sandwhiches, pastries etc. Imo if you're trying to lose weight you should only be eating wholemeal bread/oats, lean meats, fish, nuts and a load of fruit and vegetables.
    See I class white bread and pastries as junk food :rolleyes: hah! See where you are coming from, think I was coming from it at the same angle. Agree with your diet suggestions, along with chick peas, soups, stir-frys, pitta bread with houmous, tofu/quorn (low fat), pasta (night before actual long runs) and actually jacket potatoes or wholemeal toast with baked beans and orange juice work really well as a meal 1/2 times a week---the oj release some nutrient/vitamin, think a B-vitamin, from the baked beans...a dietician told me when I went to see her! Cannot remember what it was exactly though :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nhala)
    See I class white bread and pastries as junk food :rolleyes: hah! See where you are coming from, think I was coming from it at the same angle. Agree with your diet suggestions, along with chick peas, soups, stir-frys, pitta bread with houmous, tofu/quorn (low fat), pasta (night before actual long runs) and actually jacket potatoes or wholemeal toast with baked beans and orange juice work really well as a meal 1/2 times a week---the oj release some nutrient/vitamin, think a B-vitamin, from the baked beans...a dietician told me when I went to see her! Cannot remember what it was exactly though :o:
    Aye can't argue with that, a few things on there I don't tend to eat (tofu/pasta) but the rest sound good. I forgot to mention sweet potatoes, they're awesome. Whilst we're on the subject of diet, has anyone actually found a wholemeal bread that isn't still crammed full of loads of E numbers and unpronouncable chemicals? My local tesco only sells totally crap breads so I've barely been eating it. Blah - now I'm hijacking the thread a bit :p:

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: Seriously, if you haven't got a clue - don't try to give advice. Completely misleading.
    Actually i got that out of an exercise book. Sit-ups tone the stomach, it's a known fact. The bit about digestion came out of Fabulous magazine a while back so probably is a load of crap.

ReputationRep:
    Actually i got that out of an exercise book. Sit-ups tone the stomach, it's a known fact. The bit about digestion came out of Fabulous magazine a while back so probably is a load of crap.
    The OP has excess fat around his stomach, sit-ups are useless. Despite what this book says - it won't help him, you can't reduce fat from a specific area. Even though sit ups can improve ab definition, if there is a layer of fat over them they won't be visible.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.