Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who have applied to trainee marketing jobs in Newcastle or Sheffield Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, have a look here (I hope it works).

http://www.reed.co.uk/job/searchresu...=32&set=7&pg=1

Has anybody dealt with this particular recruiter before or applied to any of the jobs in the link? Did you get an interview? What kind of jobs are you expected to do?

Maybe I'm being cynical but I just think that some of the jobs there are quite vague and too good to be true.

ReputationRep:
    Typically these "no experience required" types of marketing roles are thinly disguised sales jobs (sometimes door-to-door or telemarketing), occasionally with some "marketing" aspects tacked onto the job description. When I was looking for a job in marketing earlier this year (not in your area or with that particular recruiter) I encountered a lot of ads like this and in my opinion they're all pretty much the same thing...

If you want a decent marketing job, you're best to go through a reputable recruitment agency such as Michael Page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_violet)
    Typically these "no experience required" types of marketing roles are thinly disguised sales jobs (sometimes door-to-door or telemarketing), occasionally with some "marketing" aspects tacked onto the job description. When I was looking for a job in marketing earlier this year (not in your area or with that particular recruiter) I encountered a lot of ads like this and in my opinion they're all pretty much the same thing...

If you want a decent marketing job, you're best to go through a reputable recruitment agency such as Michael Page.
    That's what I was thinking too. Marketing hasn't ever really been my thing. I was just attracted by the "no experience required" part and thought I'd apply for the hell of it and I have an interview pretty soon. I also get the impression that it may be some of these jobs that are advertised to fulfil some kind of quota or target when the company know very well that they cannot take anyone on.

ReputationRep:
    May well be one of those where you'll be doing door-to-door sales on commission, working til 9 or 10 at night and be promised you'll be on £1000000000000 within a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    May well be one of those where you'll be doing door-to-door sales on commission, working til 9 or 10 at night and be promised you'll be on £1000000000000 within a week.
    You are absolutely right!!!

So I didn't go to the interview last time when I first made this thread. But just last friday I re-applied, got an interview on monday, a call back and shadowing on the tuesday and today was my first (and possibly last) day.

I'll be selling telephone and broadband packages. Although I had some fun today, I'm quite sceptcal. My parents are really telling me not to go for it and wait for a better job in science or otherwise.

As the job isn't an actual salaried job, but on commission my parents and I are thinking that it's not so stable and if i'm not good at it, I get the sack and also lose my JSA which is keeping my CDL at bay at the moment.

Sales and Marketing isn't actually my thing, I think I'm more of an academic person (can't get research assistant jobs to save my life though). So i'm kind of thinking of packing it in and continuing to find a more suitable and stable job.

I don't know, am I crazy???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    You are absolutely right!!!

So I didn't go to the interview last time when I first made this thread. But just last friday I re-applied, got an interview on monday, a call back and shadowing on the tuesday and today was my first (and possibly last) day.

I'll be selling telephone and broadband packages. Although I had some fun today, I'm quite sceptcal. My parents are really telling me not to go for it and wait for a better job in science or otherwise.

As the job isn't an actual salaried job, but on commission my parents and I are thinking that it's not so stable and if i'm not good at it, I get the sack and also lose my JSA which is keeping my CDL at bay at the moment.

Sales and Marketing isn't actually my thing, I think I'm more of an academic person (can't get research assistant jobs to save my life though). So i'm kind of thinking of packing it in and continuing to find a more suitable and stable job.

I don't know, am I crazy???
    I lasted a week then left.

Firstly, the fact that it's dependent on commission put me off, I kept thinking of all the bills I had to pay and worrying about that. They all kept telling me it takes time to make the money but I just didn't have that time to waste. I recently bumped into one of the people who's been there well over six months and he's still only making £80 some weeks- considering the fact that he works 60 hours or so that's really apalling wages. Plus you straightaway have to pay for your travel so you're out of pocket before you start.

The hours also made me worry about it. You had to be there at 11 for the 'briefing' and didn't get into the field til about 2 so I felt that was a bit annoying firstly that you'd been at work for three hours with absolutely no chance of earning anything and then I often didn't get to leave the office til 10pm. So that's 11 hours of work everyday but you only get to earn for a maximum of 6 of them plus Saturdays we were meant to be there 10-6 so well over 60 hours of work for little return. I also felt it was a big sign that I think only one person in the office besides me was in a relationship, I spent hardly any time with my boyfriend that week even though we live together- if we didn't I wouldn't have been able to see him at all, likewise with friends.

Their social lives revolved around each other, nights out were with the 'crew' and they used to go for breakfast with each other in the mornings as well.

And one of the massive things I didn't like was how brainwashed everyone is, there are a few who are realistic about it but most of them are like 'I'm going to be a manager in 6 weeks' 'I'm going to be earning £4000 a week...' etc. it's just totally barmy.

I didn't like the fact that you were essentially lying to the customer as well, I don't know what theories you've had to learn but there was one about the fact that you have the right to be in someone's home, absolutely untrue! You don't have the right to barge into someone's home and demand they make you food and drink (which a lot of them did) it's just plain rude.

Oh and I found I had fun on the days when I was out with someone else but then you go out on your own and it's just a bit depressing, trudging round knocking on doors.

Sorry about the massive essay! Just my thoughts on it, I realise my view is 99% bad but apart from it being new and exciting for a couple of days I really hated it. Still, you live and learn...

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God, everything you said is absolutely true. I just thought the 10-10 monday-friday + an 'optional' (basically compulsory) 10-6 Saturday was a bit much. I do need some sort of a social life. And yeah there were loads of people who were on about how they'll be earning £1000 a week in a couple of months and have their own office. Maybe they will, and I hope it works out for them but I concluded that it wasn't for me. I lasted 1 day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    Oh my God, everything you said is absolutely true. I just thought the 10-10 monday-friday + an 'optional' (basically compulsory) 10-6 Saturday was a bit much. I do need some sort of a social life. And yeah there were loads of people who were on about how they'll be earning £1000 a week in a couple of months and have their own office. Maybe they will, and I hope it works out for them but I concluded that it wasn't for me. I lasted 1 day.
    Well done for making the decision to leave. Even in these tough times it's possible to get a job that actually pays you for the hours you're there! Even if you go and clean toilets as a make-do job, at least you can be certain what you're taking home at the end of the week/month.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.