Daniella
    12.50%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Aren’t you a Muslim?
    lol, why yes of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Well I have seen sunnis claiming that is also constitutes as female imitation, thus banned.
    There are probably Shia who claim he same thing. But it doesn't make all that much sense, because these things are relative to the culture in which a person resides. Perhaps in Arabia, only women wear neck- jewelry, and thus chains are still a feminine thing, but here it's not the case.

Islamic laws should always be interpreted in the context in which they are applied.

ReputationRep:
    I think the storyline is ridiculous. It makes me laugh it's so ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    It won't be accurate until someone is murder in one of these honour killings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Same in Shi'ism. Necklaces aren't allowed, but male jewelry like chains are.
    even for females?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Same in Shi'ism. Necklaces aren't allowed, but male jewelry like chains are.
    The mouse guy is right when he quoted

No. Many sunni scholars explicitly stated that any form of necklaces is harem whether it is Gold or sliver has Allahs name or the devils. It is mushaba. I don’t know how to explain the meaning of that word. It is basically a word that describes men who imitate women.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) declared that a woman should not wear a man's clothing or vice versa. He cursed men who imitate women and women who imitate men. (Reported by Al-Bukhari and others.) Aspects of such imitation include the manner of speaking, walking, dressing, moving and so on.

Watches and particular silver/other rings with stones are allowed. Apart from that you are not allowed. Allah knows best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    even for females?
    Necklaces are allowed for females. The point is that males should not look like females and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owais B)
    The mouse guy is right when he quoted

No. Many sunni scholars explicitly stated that any form of necklaces is harem whether it is Gold or sliver has Allahs name or the devils. It is mushaba. I don’t know how to explain the meaning of that word. It is basically a word that describes men who imitate women.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) declared that a woman should not wear a man's clothing or vice versa. He cursed men who imitate women and women who imitate men. (Reported by Al-Bukhari and others.) Aspects of such imitation include the manner of speaking, walking, dressing, moving and so on.

Watches and particular silver/other rings with stones are allowed. Apart from that you are not allowed. Allah knows best.
    Yes I know, because necklaces are perceived as female-specific. The hadith states that the two sexes should not imitate each other in mannerism and looks, but this is not a blanket ban on all items of clothing. For example, trousers were once a male-specific item of clothing, but now they are common for both sexes, so the principles of mushabaha does not apply, whereas in previus times it would have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0201Bean)
    I don't think they're portraying the 'muslim family' in the right way.
    Yes, it has gone too far, a lot of muslims i know are disgusted by the way muslims are portrayed in the soap.
    I personally think they haven't researched it properly, and they're just going to twist the plot further and further, to the point where it's not going to have any aspect of islam in it anymore.
    All it really shows is how 'homosexuality' isn't condoned in islam.
    What about all the other things muslims stand for?
    They just axe them/.
    i know. they should have the muslim community of east london stoning an adulterer and cutting the hands off of a shoplifter. ooh and beheading an apostate. then it would be fair.

ReputationRep:
    i meant to say chains are allowed, not neckalces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billinge1991)
    I know they're trying to make a point about the way that some Muslims are trapped, but surely this is all just going to add to the tension in our society against any other culture. It's gone on for so long now, without any break in the negative, that it seems to be an entire protest against anyone of Islam.
    Bad times when our culture is determined by the Eastenders storyline

I don't think it'll really have a huge effect.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Bad times when our culture is determined by the Eastenders storyline

I don't think it'll really have a huge effect.
    Lol, tis bad times indeed, Eastenders has turned into a way of procrastination :P:

I also doubt it'll have a huge effect, but it's still annoying lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I suppose I'm not welcome here :ninja:

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    The family isn't really an average Muslim family (I'm Muslim), but the reaction to Syed coming out isn't something I would be surprised with if it happened in real life.

ReputationRep:
    Also the square Albert Sq is modelled on is Fassett Square in Dalston, LBH Hackney, where the houses all cost 700k and up and you cannot move for Ocado vans and Wisteria.
    The E End isn't just one place, Whitechapel does have a lot of Muslims, Dalston has too, but they tend to be predominately Turks so no burkas.
    Hackney unlike Tower Hamlets is mixed Turks, Africans, Swedes, Euro Hippies.

But however they cast it it would still be TV and therefore not real life.

ReputationRep:
    more of a realistic portrayal of muslim or even pakistani families would be nice.
    Yeah, but the same could be said about the portrayel of east-london families

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    Yeah, but the same could be said about the portrayel of east-london families
    There are more non-muslim families in eastenders, therefore they have a variety.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the storyline. Accurate or not, it's prompted conversation about homosexuality between me and my parents and that can only be a good thing. I love the Masood family, but I do think that the storyline should come to an end soon. It's been incredibly drawn out; I thought it was going to peak at New Year!

ReputationRep:
    There are more non-muslim families in eastenders, therefore they have a variety.
    More variety doesn't necessarily mean more accuracy...

...anyway, my point is more about the fact that its a soap - It doesn't deal with life in the same way that normal people (Muslim or cor-blimey-mate-cocknies) do.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.