Megathread of Eastenders Watch

• View Poll Results: Better Sam?
    Kim
    87.50%
    Daniella
    12.50%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Exactly. Soaps that reflect our lives, scenarios we can relate to. That is the point of them. That means they have to be as realistic as possible. Why do you think they chose the E20 crew to be chavs rather than sophisticated teenagers?
    As realistic as possible? I thought the point was that they were realistic (to an extent) enough to believe and relate to but also exagerated and over-dramatic to be interesting

(but again they did mess up a bit with this family)

ReputationRep:
    All Eastenders plots are ridiculous.

I guess some Muslims are so out of touch with the rest of the country that they didn't realise this.

ReputationRep:
    They are portrayed stupidly just as the whole murdering priest storyline, its just so stupid but entertaining at the same time :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    plus i dont see knowing complaining about a murdering priest :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I thought it was unrealistic when Masood didn't honour kill his son for being gay. That's what the Quaran says to do isn't it? At the very least i'd imagine he'd settle for throwing some battery acid in his face. He also forgot to beat Zanab for disobeying him. Some Muslim he is.
    No. That is a south east asian culture. The Qu’ran tells him to guide his son to the right path. It also tells him that if his son doesn’t change his ways that he should hate/curse his son. This is because the Qu’ran says if you see evil, stop it by hand, if you can’t stop it by tongue, if you can’t stop it by your heart, that is the weakest of faiths. As for the law prohibits Masood to carry out any actions, he must curse/hate his son. And Muslims don’t beat their wives. They may pat with a small toothbrush for symbolic purposes. There are many things you can criticise Islam on. Why make up some?

ReputationRep:
    all the actors in the family are indian.
    i dont understand why they used indian and not actual muslims

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprilterri)
    lol
    Yh it was quite weird and if I wasn't religious, or didn't understand religion, I'd be like wtf is going on here. :eek:
    Eastenders may only be a TV show but it can influence people's views subconsciously.
    More than that...
    I went to an all-girls school. Eastenders WAS the Bible. Jeremy Kyle, Rowan Williams.
    I always worry how seriously some people will take it. There was aguy that played a paedophile on EE, he ended up getting hate mail and needing bodyguards... What a nation! :p: ha ha

ReputationRep:
    No. That is a south east asian culture. The Qu’ran tells him to guide his son to the right path. It also tells him that if his son doesn’t change his ways that he should hate/curse his son. This is because the Qu’ran says if you see evil, stop it by hand, if you can’t stop it by tongue, if you can’t stop it by your heart, that is the weakest of faiths. As for the law prohibits Masood to carry out any actions, he must curse/hate his son. And Muslims don’t beat their wives. They may pat with a small toothbrush for symbolic purposes. There are many things you can criticise Islam on. Why make up some?
    That is total bs about the toothbrush and you know it. You know that many Muslims more learned in the ways of Islam have taken that verse to mean that they have free reign to beat their wives if they aren't subservient enough. You must also know that Muslims are commanded not to submit to our laws too. They only answer to Sharia. And Sharia says kill him. Many Muslims upon finding out their daughter has had pre-marital sex, or their son is gay, have just straight up killed their children because the Quaran tells them that it's the only way they can get into heaven.

In majority Muslim societies these honour killings happen every day of the week.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...k-1971345.html

His name is Mohammed - what a surprise!

ReputationRep:
    Probably has, but it's only tv :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodmen)
    So you muslims want only positive things displayed about your religion? You might want to look for your pro-islam propaganda else where.
    As I said in the intro. post. I'm not Muslim, and this isn't pro-Islam. It's not the fact that I want to see only positive things, it's that they only seem to write negative plotlines

I don't agree that they should be shown in a perfect light, but they've had a negative storyline for over a year. And I'm not sure when they have had a positive storyline.

I agree with the sentiment of your opinion, but it's misplaced. That wasn't the intention of this group, sorry if it led you to think so.

ReputationRep:
    That is total bs about the toothbrush and you know it. You know that many Muslims more learned in the ways of Islam have taken that verse to mean that they have free reign to beat their wives if they aren't subservient enough. You must also know that Muslims are commanded not to submit to our laws too. They only answer to Sharia. And Sharia says kill him. Many Muslims upon finding out their daughter has had pre-marital sex, or their son is gay, have just straight up killed their children because the Quaran tells them that it's the only way they can get into heaven.

In majority Muslim societies these honour killings happen every day of the week.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...k-1971345.html

His name is Mohammed - what a surprise!
    No it is not. I am an ex-Muslim and trust me I criticize Islam a lot, but I don’t like false criticism. You are only allowed to hit your wife after reasoning with her twice and refusing to share the same bed with her. After that fails you can ONLY hit her with the toothbrush. It must not leave a mark nor cause any pain. And this is where your general ignorance shows. Muslims are told to respect this law to an extent. They are told to listen to it as long as it doesn’t stop them from their religious practises. A Muslim is not allowed to kill his daughter for finding out she had pre-martial sex. The punishment for pre-martial sex is lashes. The punishment for adultery is death. There is a difference. There has to be four witness present. It is not something the individual carries out, rather the state. This is why Muslims respect the UK government. You are a Christian, am I right? Do you know south Africa has the highest rape rate? It is a Christian majority country. Does Christianity tell it to rape people? No! Your whole post is flawed. Like I said, read upon the Sharia and some stuff you may find genuine things you can criticise Muslims on, but these points are not one of them.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was unrealistic when Masood didn't honour kill his son for being gay. That's what the Quaran says to do isn't it? At the very least i'd imagine he'd settle for throwing some battery acid in his face. He also forgot to beat Zanab for disobeying him. Some Muslim he is.
    the sarcasm really hurt just so you know.... i do advise that you dont speak about a subject you obviously no valid knowlegde on. It a shame that the above seems to be your view of the character a a muslim.

ReputationRep:
    No it is not. I am an ex-Muslim and trust me I criticize Islam a lot, but I don’t like false criticism. You are only allowed to hit your wife after reasoning with her twice and refusing to share the same bed with her. After that fails you can ONLY hit her with the toothbrush. It must not leave a mark nor cause any pain. And this is where your general ignorance shows. Muslims are told to respect this law to an extent. They are told to listen to it as long as it doesn’t stop them from their religious practises. A Muslim is not allowed to kill his daughter for finding out she had pre-martial sex. The punishment for pre-martial sex is lashes. The punishment for adultery is death. There is a difference. There has to be four witness present. It is not something the individual carries out, rather the state. This is why Muslims respect the UK government. You are a Christian, am I right? Do you know south Africa has the highest rape rate? It is a Christian majority country. Does Christianity tell it to rape people? No! Your whole post is flawed. Like I said, read upon the Sharia and some stuff you may find genuine things you can criticise Muslims on, but these points are not one of them.
    So what you're telling me is that even though tooth brushes as we know them didn't exist during the time of Mohammeds life, he managed to instruct the people of the future that they can hit their wives with a toothbrush? You know as well as I do that many many men go and hit their wives because of that part of scripture. I already knew about the order they are supposed to go in. With the state refusing to carry out Sharia, that leaves it down to you to use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fish222)
    the sarcasm really hurt just so you know.... i do advise that you dont speak about a subject you obviously no valid knowlegde on. It a shame that the above seems to be your view of the character a a muslim.
    I have plenty of valid knowledge thanks.... Like opening the paper every other day just to see that another savage has killed his offspring because the Quaran told him to. I know there are moderate Muslims about, but the feeling I get from reading the Quaran and some haddiths is that if Mohammed were alive today and his son turned out to be gay, he would be with the stone throwing majority rather than the accepting minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    But the way they portray the Masoods is ridiculous and far-fetched and Muslims (and many non muslims) can tell its so odd. One example is the Masood guy, y'know the dad. He doesn't act really muslim-y.
    Perhaps he is not as religious as the rest of the family? Is that not realistic?

ReputationRep:
    So what you're telling me is that even though tooth brushes as we know them didn't exist during the time of Mohammeds life, he managed to instruct the people of the future that they can hit their wives with a toothbrush? You know as well as I do that many many men go and hit their wives because of that part of scripture. I already knew about the order they are supposed to go in. With the state refusing to carry out Sharia, that leaves it down to you to use it.
    many men do go and hit there wives however this is not something of a religious basis however more of a CULTURAL basis. In many asian culture men hit women as a way of showing control however this is simply cultural thing. And what is allowed in islam is not your allowed to beat your wife everyday and everytime your foods not infront of you! the people that try and justify it without valid reason wil all be judged accordingly

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was unrealistic when Masood didn't honour kill his son for being gay. That's what the Quaran says to do isn't it? .
    No :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I have plenty of valid knowledge thanks.... Like opening the paper every other day just to see that another savage has killed his offspring because the Quaran told him to. I know there are moderate Muslims about, but the feeling I get from reading the Quaran and some haddiths is that if Mohammed were alive today and his son turned out to be gay, he would be with the stone throwing majority rather than the accepting minority.
    ok i apologise if i offended you you may have plenty of valid knowledge.. if was wrong of me to assume so.... however im just rasing awareness that not everything that your read is true and representative of muslims. if you really want to know what islam teaches study the religion not the people(muslim) because 9 times out of 10 the people will not be following it in the manner if is meant to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    No
    Then why do so many do it? I think, in the abscence of a Sharia state who will do it for you, it is down to you to kill your son, as according to Sharia the only way to be absolved of a sin so big is to be murdered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fish222)
    ok i apologise if i offended you you may have plenty of valid knowledge.. if was wrong of me to assume so.... however im just rasing awareness that not everything that your read is true and representative of muslims. if you really want to know what islam teaches study the religion not the people(muslim) because 9 times out of 10 the people will not be following it in the manner if is meant to be
    But when I pick up the Quaran it takes some pretty bendy interpretation to come to the conclusion that this religion is in any way peaceful or tollerant. I mean it has clear examples and corporal punishments against non-violent people enshrined within its pages. It even directly instructs you to kill those who convert away from Islam. I actually think the people are better than the religion they follow.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.