The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It looks like the EE script writers must be chuffed at the "success" of their genius baby swap storyline..

Around 3,400 viewers have complained to the BBC about an EastEnders storyline involving cot death and a baby swap.

In an episode on New Year's Eve, Ronnie Branning, played by Samantha Womack, swapped her deceased baby for the new born son of Jessie Wallace's character, Kat Moon.

Complainants have branded the hard-hitting plotline "insensitive", "irresponsible" and "desperate".

The complaints have been received since the storyline was revealed in November.

The majority have come in to the BBC since Friday's episode.

One midwife described it as "so far from realism it will be the last time I will watch this programme."

EastEnders executive producer, Bryan Kirkwood, said: "We appreciate this is a challenging storyline and have taken care to ensure viewers were aware of the content in advance of transmission.

"We also provided action line numbers at the end of each show, offering advice and support to those affected by the issues."

Monday's episode, in which Ronnie struggled to cope with the baby she had taken and Kat did not recognise the infant in the chapel of rest as her own, was watched by 10.6m viewers.

Joyce Epstein, director of the Foundation for Sudden Infant Deaths (FSID), told BBC Five Live that the charity advised on the issue of cot death but not on the "drama line".

She confirmed the charity had put the soap in touch with a woman who had gone through a similar bereavement and who had subsequently spoken to the actors in advance of filming.

Ms Epstein said parts of the script were changed following the Foundation's advice.

SOURCE

All criticism throughly deserved, awful work by the script writers.
Not looking forward to watching Eastenders anymore, but I can't hold back. :pcguru:
Original post by The Stig

:zomg: - AGES AGO! ... so you missed the whole Phil on crack storyline aswell?

Nah, it's not his, it's some other guys. She was planning on running away with him at one point aswell.

Phil on crack :eek: I've got to see that :biggrin:

Found youtube channel that's got episodes during the summer but cba to watch all so when did Phil start using?
They've really gone a bit far with this storyline, it's upsetting. I hope they don't drag it out over a long period. I found it really, really horrible when everything had depended on Ronnie realising the extent of what she'd done just a few minutes earlier!
Reply 5724
More than 3000 complaints, bloody hell
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5725
How the Hell does Alfy not realise that it's not his son?
Original post by Teveth
How the Hell does Alfy not realise that it's not his son?

Wasn't his son anyway.
Reply 5727
Original post by Converse
Wasn't his son anyway.

True, but he spent time with him at the hospital, brought him back home and presumably spent a good deal of time with him there. I know some babies do look very alike, but this is just not very believable.
Original post by Teveth
True, but he spent time with him at the hospital, brought him back home and presumably spent a good deal of time with him there. I know some babies do look very alike, but this is just not very believable.

That's true.
Tiff. :colonhash:
Original post by Ladipidoo
Tiff. :colonhash:

The little one had more sense than her!
Reply 5731
The bitchiness between Tanya and Vanessa and Max is so funny.
Original post by Roobsa
The bitchiness between Tanya and Vanessa and Max is so funny.

Tanya is M.I.L.F
Vanessa is such a boring character, who wears the same clothes all the time. Apart from being Max's partner she has no role.
Reply 5734
What a **** episode
Tanya's an annoying fat bitch.

And this whole storyline is bull****. As if Alfie wouldn't realise the dead baby wasn't his son. When is it gonna be over, does anyone know? Cos I'm bored already.
Reply 5736
Tanya is M.I.L.F

She's got nothing on Glenda. :sexface:
Wasn't his son anyway.

That's ridiculous. Just because Tommy isn't his biologically does not mean that he is not his son.
Original post by Roobsa
She's got nothing on Glenda. :sexface:

Woman who plays Glenda is like 55, but I still would. Prefer Tanya though.

Original post by CookieDoughLove
That's ridiculous. Just because Tommy isn't his biologically does not mean that he is not his son.

Yes it does.
This is too sad. They need to stop longing it out.

Latest