Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I know that universities are far more interested in your AS and A levels than GCSEs, but I'd be interested to get a rough idea what sort of grades current vet students got - e.g. x A*s, y As, z Bs etc.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    4A*s, 4A's and 3B's.

a*S in double science, maths & food tech.

Got me 3 interviews out of 4

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what the equivalent is in Scotland for GSCEs - either standard grades or highers - but I got A1111111 for SGs etc and AAAAA for Higher, if that helps.
    I would imagine that AS and A Levels would be the main ones considered though. Maybe the GSCES would be considered as a last resort, when they're deciding between two very similar applicants.

EDIT: Oh, I got 3 out of 4 interviews btw.

ReputationRep:
    I got 4A* 5A's and a B - 3/4 interviews and 2 offers

ReputationRep:
    Aww, I only got on A*, and it was in Maths, hehe. I love maths. 5A's, and 5B's as well.

ReputationRep:
    I got 11111111 for standard grades AAABB at higher in 5th year (but they were biology, german, italian, english and art - hence why im a grad entrant!) and AAA in chemistry and geography and
    advanced higher biology in 6th year.

ReputationRep:
    Since Ive been in scotland for 2years I should understand the whole education system but I dont. So Standards --> Highers-->?
    And whats 1 mean for a standard?

Edit : 5As, 5A*s --> no offers D: (2 interviews)
    Got AAB for Alevels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PawPrints91)
    4A*s, 4A's and 3B's.

a*S in double science, maths & food tech.

Got me 3 interviews out of 4
    thats exactly what i got my A*s in!

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who had 9A*s at GCSE, 4As at AS, had 2 years of doing work experience in a vet's surgery at weekends and didn't get a single interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    I know someone who had 9A*s at GCSE, 4As at AS, had 2 years of doing work experience in a vet's surgery at weekends and didn't get a single interview.
    thats hardly surprising if that was his only work experience, i severely doubt he was rejected on the basis of his grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    thats hardly surprising if that was his only work experience, i severely doubt he was rejected on the basis of his grades.
    SHE did what amounts to more than 6 months of work experience! How on earth is that 'only'?!

ReputationRep:
    SHE did what amounts to more than 6 months of work experience! How on earth is that 'only'?!
    The universities require more than just vets - e.g. dairy, lambing, kennels etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stickinsectak)
    The universities require more than just vets - e.g. dairy, lambing, kennels etc
    that's shocking :eek: she was so so good! In London there's no way to do lambing or working in a dairy or whatever - they just don't exist near where we live, it's a good hour or so to get to those sort of places She was really upset bout the rejections though, it's so narrow minded of them to rule her out for not doing something that's it's near impossible to do here Will pass that on though - maybe she'll be able to do some sort of residential thing in her gap year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egglet)
    Since Ive been in scotland for 2years I should understand the whole education system but I dont. So Standards --> Highers-->?
    And whats 1 mean for a standard?

Edit : 5As, 5A*s --> no offers D: (2 interviews)
    Got AAB for Alevels
    Haha dont worry. Standard grades ->Highers->Advanced Highers , and a 1 in standard grade i guess is your A*, whatever it is, its the top you can get!

ReputationRep:
    I got 4A*'s, 5A's and a C (in latin lol!)

Re work in London it can be done, you can go to the city farms you can travel out for an hour and commute or go and stay with the farmer. This is what the universities expect from you, saying you live in a city is not a good enough reason for them.

ReputationRep:
    that's shocking :eek: she was so so good! In London there's no way to do lambing or working in a dairy or whatever - they just don't exist near where we live, it's a good hour or so to get to those sort of places She was really upset bout the rejections though, it's so narrow minded of them to rule her out for not doing something that's it's near impossible to do here Will pass that on though - maybe she'll be able to do some sort of residential thing in her gap year...
    I live in the city too, and yes its difficult, but its not impossible. A lot of farms will offer you accommodation if you're doing lambing or sometimes you just have to pay to stay at like a B&B near a farm you're at. Its tough, and seems unfair in comparison to kids that grow up in the countryside, but people do do it, and it shows how much they want it. If your friend still wanted to go for it she definitely could, would just need to spend some time building up her work experience, but i reckon if she REALLY got moving she could still apply this october.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batty_hatty)
    I got 4A*'s, 5A's and a C (in latin lol!)
    LOL... I'm pretty similar (re: latin compared to others)! Did you get a lot of work experience?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I didn't explain the standard grades thing. Yeah, a 1 is the top grade and I did one intermediate 2 exam as well (between SGs and Highers) which explains the A in there.

ReputationRep:
    I got 8A*s, 4As and a B (though 1 A* and 1 A were only short courses)

Got 2 out of 4 interviews and 1 offer

ReputationRep:
    No unis had a problem with my GCSEs and I got 1A*, 9As, and 3 Bs. (Three of those being half/short course)

Tbh I think the "you must have 10A*s at GCSE AND good A levels thing" is just all hype. GCSEs dont really count for that much, afaik

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.