Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    GCSEs dont really count for that much, afaik
    I think the same. You need GCSEs for getting into A levels. You need A levels for getting into Uni. You need Uni to become a vet.

Then after that, sorted Surely not many job offers take into account GCSEs/A levels for vets?! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I got 5A*s 4.5 A's and a B

i didnt get an offer tho! work experience is WAY more important than GCSEs as long as u have good grades in maths and science and i think they like u to have B or higher in English.

ReputationRep:
    i got 9A + 2B
    realllyyy want to apply but i dont know if i should waste my time :/

ReputationRep:
    definatly not a waste of time if u can prove to them with yr predicted Alevels.
    u will need AAB predictions really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luuucyx)
    i got 9A + 2B
    realllyyy want to apply but i dont know if i should waste my time :/
    I got a lot lower than that, and I've still applied. My GCSEs really don't add up :p: especially with my AS level grades being as high as they were.

Example:

I got B in GCSE Geography, and a A in AS Level Geography :p: you can see when I started trying at school

My predicted grades from my GCSEs for my A levels were BCD....what I actually got predicted was A*AA :p:

In my opinion GCSEs don't count for much, as I perform better in class than fellow students that got 5A*s and 5As at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    I got 7 A*s, 5 As and 1 B.

From that I got 3/4 interviews but rejected first time round. Second time round I got 3/4 interviews again (yeah... I'm quite experienced at the whole interview thing!) but got two offers.

ReputationRep:
    I think camb is the only place that cares about gcses that was their excuse for rejecting me after interview as long as you get predicted aab for a level and have plenty of experience it's worth applying

ReputationRep:
    I got 11111111 (im scottish) so thats the best mark in all subjects, but i really dont think vet unis care!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shedlife)
    I got a lot lower than that, and I've still applied. My GCSEs really don't add up :p: especially with my AS level grades being as high as they were.

Example:

I got B in GCSE Geography, and a A in AS Level Geography :p: you can see when I started trying at school

My predicted grades from my GCSEs for my A levels were BCD....what I actually got predicted was A*AA :p:

In my opinion GCSEs don't count for much, as I perform better in class than fellow students that got 5A*s and 5As at GCSE
    omg you give me hope!
    ive started trying, but i still need to try harder..
    where have you applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luuucyx)
    omg you give me hope!
    ive started trying, but i still need to try harder..
    where have you applied?
    Well I do try

I've applied to RVC, Nottingham, Bristol and Liverpool
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm applying this year. ;P
    I got INT 2's A,A,A, A, B (our school offered quite a few Int 2 courses!) and Standard Grades 1,1,1. But then messed up on my highers a little, and royally messed up on my advanced highers - hence grad entry.

ReputationRep:
    Sort of highjacking the thread for a second, but do they ever take GCSE pass rates of your school into account?
    I'm applying this year with 5 A*s, 7 As and a B; just hope it's enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .captainsarah)
    Sort of highjacking the thread for a second, but do they ever take GCSE pass rates of your school into account?
    I'm applying this year with 5 A*s, 7 As and a B; just hope it's enough!
    those grades are great - i can't see you having a problem with those. just make sure you get the AS grades you need and a minimum prediction of AAB for A2

ReputationRep:
    I got 11A*'s and 1 A, but only have vet work xperience and charity w. experience

ReputationRep:
    I got 4 A* 4As and a Bin Maths (and the B in maths wasn't a particularly high one either)
    but I did do work experience in:
    Kennels,
    Catterys,
    RSPCA,
    Stables,
    Sheep farm/lambing,
    Dairy farms,
    A hatchery,
    Pig farm,
    small animal vets,
    mixed animal practice

so I think that really as longas you have a good amount of work experience, decent grades and you write a good and original ps, you should be fine getting an inerview- after that its up to you as a person to impress them

ReputationRep:
    I need some serious advice here, I have had two interviews with teachers who have all said that my GCSE profiles are weak for vet med, I got 2 A*s 5As and 2Bs. I also have 3 weeks observing a small animal practice, 2 years working at a riding shool, 2 weeks at a farm, 1 week observing an equine practice and I am trying to organise some lambing, observing another equine practice and some exotics. Am I really a weak candidate for vet med? should I just drop it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpw92)
    I need some serious advice here, I have had two interviews with teachers who have all said that my GCSE profiles are weak for vet med, I got 2 A*s 5As and 2Bs. I also have 3 weeks observing a small animal practice, 2 years working at a riding shool, 2 weeks at a farm, 1 week observing an equine practice and I am trying to organise some lambing, observing another equine practice and some exotics. Am I really a weak candidate for vet med? should I just drop it??
    hi there, first of all i would say that your gcses are perfectly fine, but you are lacking in work exp compared to a lot of other candidates. also, assuming you are in lower 6th, what are your predictions for your AS levels/what subjects are you taking and what are you hoping to achieve at A2?
    as for your work exp, you need to get some more animal husbandry stuff such as kennels/cattery, possibly some lab work or an abattoir and definitely try and get some large animal practice or if you can't get that, then mixed practice. but you want to see some veterinary practice with large animals that isn't just horses - it depends where you live though of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_vet)
    hi there, first of all i would say that your gcses are perfectly fine, but you are lacking in work exp compared to a lot of other candidates. also, assuming you are in lower 6th, what are your predictions for your AS levels/what subjects are you taking and what are you hoping to achieve at A2?
    as for your work exp, you need to get some more animal husbandry stuff such as kennels/cattery, possibly some lab work or an abattoir and definitely try and get some large animal practice or if you can't get that, then mixed practice. but you want to see some veterinary practice with large animals that isn't just horses - it depends where you live though of course.
    Thank you for your help, would work exp. at a uni be good?? Do you have any advice about the application process??:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpw92)
    Thank you for your help, would work exp. at a uni be good?? Do you have any advice about the application process??:rolleyes:
    what do you mean at a uni? if you live near liverpool then i think leahurst take students. as for advice, you have to really want this and interviews will be a place for you to prove that to the admissions staff - remember this isn't just a degree choice, but also a career choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_vet)
    what do you mean at a uni? if you live near liverpool then i think leahurst take students. as for advice, you have to really want this and interviews will be a place for you to prove that to the admissions staff - remember this isn't just a degree choice, but also a career choice
    I live in cambs and they can take in some work exp. students. Fantastic, thanks for the advice, i know that this is something that i want to do. Thank you for your reassurance.:yep:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.