Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    5As, 4Bs and 2Cs. I thought they weren't bad, but looking at this forum I think otherwise! However i got 3 offers so nevermind.
    At the end of the day, if you really want to be a vet you won't think twice about doing a 3 year degree and then applying for the accelerated course. so GCSE's are a moot point as long as they get you on to the A-levels needed.

ReputationRep:
    Would have loved to have applied for Vetmed, but based on my GCSE results I didn't even bother.
    Does anyone know if they look at GCSE grades if you go the postgrad route?

ReputationRep:
    Just to say, my GCSE's are nothing compared to some. I got 5.5A's and 6B's and got in, so i wouldn't worry about not having 12A*'s!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckybob)
    Just to say, my GCSE's are nothing compared to some. I got 5.5A's and 6B's and got in, so i wouldn't worry about not having 12A*'s!
    This. Absolutely. As long as you meet the minimum requirements, it's all about your attitude, personality and experiences for the rest!

ReputationRep:
    heloo, i'm in year 11 and sitting gcse's in summer..
    atm, my mocks give me 1A*, 3A's and 4B's. is it going to be worth trying to become a vet if these are the gcse's i am coming out with so far :/ i am getting the work exp, but i'm really worried whether there is any point because of my grades :/ ?

ReputationRep:
    That looks fine, Kim. You can usually expect to go up a little from your mocks as well, maybe 1 or 2 grades. Look at the vet schools requirements on the internet, some are specific about what grade you get in science, but that looks good.
    What work experience have you done?

ReputationRep:
    i have four and half weeks at a mixed vet practice. booked work exp for feb on a farm. thats it so far, however i have a LA practice in the area that requires me to be 16 and have GCSE's before i can get exp there, i do not meet either requirements, but am hoping to get exp there as soon as i get my results in august. i've filled in an app for a local pet shop. there is also a local kennels and stables i am looking to get in touch with for the summer or weekends.
    do you have any suggestions what exp placements are more important than others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim12345)
    i have four and half weeks at a mixed vet practice. booked work exp for feb on a farm. thats it so far, however i have a LA practice in the area that requires me to be 16 and have GCSE's before i can get exp there, i do not meet either requirements, but am hoping to get exp there as soon as i get my results in august. i've filled in an app for a local pet shop. there is also a local kennels and stables i am looking to get in touch with for the summer or weekends.
    get some small animal vet experience in there and its sounding good! I know you have mixed, but try and go to a specifically SA practice too. Try and get some lambing, hopefully your mixed vet can sort you out with that. Go to a kennels, cattery and stables and you're all sorted! Sounds like you've got ages to do it too! You can also try and go to an abattoir or a vet diagnostics lab, but they're extras really, and best to think about once you've got all the other stuff ticked off. I dont think an abattoir will let under 16s in anyway, ewwwww.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou soo much for the reassurance and advice! (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim12345)
    That's really good for vet, especially if you can get some small animal in there too. That's quite important.
    The other ones to look for are:
    lambing/calving
    kennels/cattery
    stables
    farm (dairy and/or sheep)
    day in an abattoir
    labs
    zoo

(The last three are "cherries" which add to your application but should not take precedence over more basic husbandry stuff)
    It's great if you can get a long term placement or two, at the kennels or stables perhaps, or even at a vet. Pet shop job would be quite good too.
    Seeing as you have 2 years or so left, you've got loads. The min. to aim for is Liverpool's requirements of 4 weeks vet and 6 weeks other, but more is always great.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AS levels now, but got 3 A*s 6A s 1B 1C and a D in Graphics :s
    and a B in additional maths

do i not stand a very good chance? seems like evryone on here is getting way better than me!

I am predicted 4 A s at AS though?

ReputationRep:
    This all makes you feel kind of inadequate, doesn't it? :P
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by poke*****93)
    I'm doing AS levels now, but got 3 A*s 6A s 1B 1C and a D in Graphics :s
    and a B in additional maths

do i not stand a very good chance? seems like evryone on here is getting way better than me!

I am predicted 4 A s at AS though?
    Of course you stand a chance, they look at as grades well before gcses, and your gcses are perfectly fine

ReputationRep:
    The only problem you would have with GCSE's is if your english, science or math are below a C and since your only grade below a C is graphics you've no problem at all with GCSE's.

I think the only thing that really interests the uni's about your GCSE's is that your english and math should be up to scratch and then they can also have an idea on how likely your A Level predictions are ie if you're predicted 3 x A at A Level but only got D's at GCSE's it'll flag up a warning, but if you got B's it's more likely you can up your game and achieve what you've got as predictions.

I spoke to Cam on the phone a couple of the colleges and they said as long as you have at least B's and at worse C's at GCSE you'll be considered on your A Levels still.

Don't panic.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i've practically got, or have already planned, all the necessary WE. I'll be applying next september, not this one, but i have family in Canada and I was wondering whether experience in animal environments abroad can be 'cherry' too? Seeing as though my nearest zoo is ages and ages away, would this rather expensive and timeconsuming option actually boost my application at all?? Or would it be seen as more of a 'well done for the effort, but you shouldn't have' type thing? I don't mind doing it, and i love the country but will it help me?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Definately a cherry, go for it . Just remember to get a reference.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I am on a gap year this year, as I didn't get an offer last year for vet school. So I think this may come in useful to some people about work experience and the issue over GCSE grades ( which I really don't think count, unless their trying to decide between 2 people).
    I applied to Liverpool, Bristol, Nottingham and the RVC. I got rejected from the RVC because of my BMAT results, so I am not applying there this year. I got rejected by Liverpool, Bristol and Nottingham because of my work experience. This is the work experience that I had completed for my application:

1. 1 year (part time) every Monday night from 5-7 in a small animal clinic, I also attended the clinic during my holidays for about 2 days a week 9-6.

2. 3 years (part time) in an Equine practice, every Saturday from 8-3, also my summer holidays for about 2 extra days a week.

3. Showjumping sables ( part time) for about 3 months, 2 days a week.

So just in case you were wondering what GCSE grades I got, here they are: 3A*'S, 6A'S (I am an average student).

I got AAA in my A levels and am reapplying this year again. I have completed a lot more work experience:

1. The University Of Connecticut Pathobiology and veterinary science ( anatomy and physiology, doing necropsy, bacteriology etc) for 4 weeks.

2. Willimantic spay/neuter clinic ( in Connecticut) for 4 days .

3. Connecticut Equine clinic for 4 days.

4. 4 days in an abbotoir

5. 1 week in local kennels

6. 1 week on dairy farm.

So hopefully I will get an offer for September 2011. I am applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bristol, Liverpool and Nottingham. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    I got 10 A's and 2 B's which I am soo pleased about - next up A levels and i need more work experience

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a vet student, but I am seriously motivated to become a vet, and just got my GCSE results, but slightly worried seeing what all you guys got on here... :/

Can I have some advice if I still have a chance...
    I got:

History - B
    Music - B
    Spanish - B
    French - A
    Chemistry - A
    Maths - A
    Biology - A
    Physics - B (two ums off A - going to re-sit/re-mark)
    Art - B
    English Lit - B
    English Lang - B

I didn't get any A*s and it worries me seeing so many people getting A*s :/
    I read on Nottingham website that you need minimum five As at GCSE, so I'm confident I can get an A in physics if I re-sit...

Do I still have a chance?

I've booked one weeks work experience at a SA vet next summer, and applied to farms and other LA +SA vets too.
    I've also been volunteering at an Animal Ambulance for the past year, and started volunteering at a dog kennel in July.

So yeah, advice would be appreciated (:

ReputationRep:
    I got AABBCCCCD and one of the Cs was in english, I'm guessing I'd be a no hoper

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.