Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever consider having an arranged marriage? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Theres different types of arranged marriages and they are misunderstood.

Type1 - The "oldschool" pre rights hardcore arranged marriage - You have no choice but to marry the person of your parents choice - Disobey and you get killed. This won't happen these days though.

Type2 - The you will marry this person are we don't want to know who you marry.

Type3- Here are your chocies. Pick your match and marry them. If not then findsome else (same culture) but we won't be happy.

Type4- Find someone of the same culture and tell us so we can see if their family is good.

These days its type3 and type4 which are most common. Type 1 and 2 are horrible. I would not want that.

ReputationRep:
    I have always wondered why people seem to give in to arranged marriages as a 'last resort' or because they havent got a bf by the time they are like 23, its ridiculous, are people that desperate to validate their existence by living with someone and passing on their DNA?

If I died alone, I would still die happy because I think there is so much more to life than hooking up and propagating your DNA.

And anyway from my experience and all available sources many 'arranged' marriages are actually often forced by duress, lots of people dont seem to get that shame, not living up to community expectations, disowning and the threat (whether intended or not) of emotional abandonment by parents is a forced marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    wow can you be anymore narrow minded there
    am i lying? the truth hurts

ReputationRep:
    A THOUSAND TIMES NO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    Yes you are, because arranged marriages have been common in most cultures and religions throughout the world at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness and Mist)
    Yes you are, because arranged marriages have been common in most cultures and religions throughout the world at some point.
    i agree but its common with muslims

ReputationRep:
    No.. Simply because I want fate to decide things for me.

ReputationRep:
    Yah because it's the only way I'd get a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Oh God NO!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KumakoXsd)
    No.. Simply because I want fate to decide things for me.
    That seems to imply that an arranged marriage isn't something affected by fate.

Which is just confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    Well the worlds youngest billionaire is 35, so hotness may be somewhat limited.
    Although saying that one of my friends was on an environmental research project with a (potential billionaire) guy who she thought was cute. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact his family owned walmart :p:
    That is so wrong. There are some hot old guys out there - Hugh Laurie for example. :drool:
    Although my fascination and love for him developed because of the SEXY character he plays and not Hugh Laurie himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    yes you are. arranged marriage exists is many cultures around the world and it is nothing to do with religion, its called CULTURE and TRADITION not RELIGION. get your facts straight before you have the audacity to post untruths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    yes you are. arranged marriage exists is many cultures around the world and it is nothing to do with religion, its called CULTURE and TRADITION not RELIGION. get your facts straight before you have the audacity to post untruths.
    wow it seems like ur on your period, i know that it happens in many traditions but, mostly its has something to do with the religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaroid13)
    That is so wrong. There are some hot old guys out there - Hugh Laurie for example. :drool:
    Although my fascination and love for him developed because of the SEXY character he plays and not Hugh Laurie himself.
    I'm not disputing the hot old guys exist, but the overlap between guys who at hot, old, and billionaires may well be the null set.

ReputationRep:
    No. What your parents like might not be what you like? I'd rather pick the one I love. I don't need parents to pick that for me. Plus, parents can pick somebody as if they were an object/shopping around for a commodity. They would pick somebody who they think is 'ideal' for you. Conclusively, nothing beats true love like when you first laid eyes on your loved one, you just knew they were the one. That's all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    To the predominant element - good looking with following personality. Why not.

ReputationRep:
    Well, africans work in mysterious ways. One of my uncle's marriage was technically arranged. It's not like it's forced. It's just introducing a girl and a guy by two families to see whether they click. they have no clue it's arranged until afterwards. So yeah, if my parents did that, I wouldn't really care. It's almost like someone playing matchmaker (actually exactly like that)

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Absolutely not. I am glad that I am not from a culture in which this is how young men are married.

ReputationRep:
    No - I'd rather meet someone by chance or be friends with someone and gradually build up a relationship with them. I guess if I was still single and I was getting on a bit, in my mid-to-late 20s or something, I'd consider it but only in a 'Here's this nice young guy, he's looking for someone, why don't you meet him and see if you get on?' kind of way. Rather than, 'Do you think he's a nice chap? Right then, let's plan the wedding!' It's just like matchmaking really I suppose, but I'd rather it happened in a more organic way!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.