Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

so it takes decades and billion of dollars... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    The climate changes over time
    The climate is changing over time
    I am confused where the panic arises from
    Climate change that causes sea level rise may well panic people who live at or below sea level, don't you think? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parfait-ego)
    Haha been watching Futurama?
    No, wherever did you get that idea from :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    Welp, that's evidence enough for me. Hey guys, CASE IS CLOSED. It's fine, this guy is totally chill with it.

:facepalm: it's like something from the Jeremy Clarkson school of geography.

As to the OP, the main reason people aren't acting NOW, is because the actions we need to take would be extremely unpopular. It would mean the Western World would have to scale back by a hell of a lot - there is quite simply no way we could sustain this standard of living and hit the Environmental targets we aspire to, with current technology.
    Hilarious
    It appears we have a choice to make; Adapt to the demands of the new climate, or master the earth and make it bend to our will.

People will die and the standards of living will have to become more modest, but what is the alternative to inexorable and natural climate change?

ReputationRep:
    Hilarious
    It appears we have a choice to make; Adapt to the demands of the new climate, or master the earth and make it bend to our will.

Yeah, but seriously it appears you think that Humans are both insignificant (so that we're not actually contributing to climate change), but at the same time able to "master" the planet and somehow ... make it bend to our will. I dunno what you're saying there, unless you suggest going out there and getting lairy with the Sahara to stop desertification.

Also, pro tip: Humans are significantly contributing to climate change. Key word 'contributing'. Climate change is a natural occurrence, yes, but we seem to be undergoing an uncharacteristically large change relative to the past - here's a graph from the US department of agriculture:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dougiemacs)
    and go where exactly?
    Well considering our planet will probably not be totally destroyed for some time there are a number of possibilities. Terraforming Mars, making very large space stations, possibly even traveling to another star system if our technology has progressed far enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Well considering our planet will probably not be totally destroyed for some time there are a number of possibilities. Terraforming Mars, making very large space stations, possibly even traveling to another star system if our technology has progressed far enough.
    possible, although im sure fixing our own planet, even is it is completely scorched and glassed, will be far easier and require less technology than transforming mars (surely our own planet wont get worse than mars in terms of ease to live in?), or housing 7 billion in space stations.

ReputationRep:
    We can't even accurately predict the weather for a couple of days, not to mention this was supposed to be the best british summer in a long time yet all it's done (again) is chuck it down. So why are we trying to predict the climate for 100's of years in the future when we can't even predict when to do our own washing?

We shouldn't be trying to change ourselves to save the earth through desparate measures and taxes, we should be doing it for the greater good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    We can't even accurately predict the weather for a couple of days, not to mention this was supposed to be the best british summer in a long time yet all it's done (again) is chuck it down. So why are we trying to predict the climate for 100's of years in the future when we can't even predict when to do our own washing?

We shouldn't be trying to change ourselves to save the earth through desparate measures and taxes, we should be doing it for the greater good.
    Predicting the weather is quite a bit different to climate modelling. Climate modelling is about predicting how hot it will be X years from now as a global average, and the effects that will have, not whether it will rain in London on July 1st 2076.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    Predicting the weather is quite a bit different to climate modelling. Climate modelling is about predicting how hot it will be X years from now as a global average, and the effects that will have, not whether it will rain in London on July 1st 2076.
    No different to me, this easter we were told this summer was going to be one of the hottest and sunniest we have had in a long time. This was for all of the UK. Would you not say that was a climate model for the UK? We couldn't even get it right for 3 months in advance, what chance have we got of being right for 30 years down the road?

As an architecture student I am interested in knowing the climate I am supposed to be building for but I'm not buying this "save the world" rubbish. I want to design so we are less dependant on resources purely because of the way we are taxed and shafted by companies for needing their materials. If it really was as big as they make out they'd be after the largest polluters, instead all our government want to do is tax the public because they can.

ReputationRep:
    when it gets close to oil running out everything will change anyway
    it will be far too late to reverse climate change but the human race will definitely survive and thrive

ReputationRep:
    No different to me, this easter we were told this summer was going to be one of the hottest and sunniest we have had in a long time. This was for all of the UK. Would you not say that was a climate model for the UK? We couldn't even get it right for 3 months in advance, what chance have we got of being right for 30 years down the road?

As an architecture student I am interested in knowing the climate I am supposed to be building for but I'm not buying this "save the world" rubbish. I want to design so we are less dependant on resources purely because of the way we are taxed and shafted by companies for needing their materials. If it really was as big as they make out they'd be after the largest polluters, instead all our government want to do is tax the public because they can.
    It's still a different science. When they claim a hot summer is coming in Spring they're still predicting the weather and not climate change. They base that weather prediction on what they think the jetstream will do, not whether the Earth as a whole has heated up. Global warming doesn't really have an effect on the timescale of months. We're talking decades for a noticeable effect.

The problem with fixing climate change is the cost. No one wants to make less profits if they can get away with it or spend more buying greener products and cars, especially in a recession. If we do nothing we'll be fine, but the next generations will be screwed and many people are selfish like that.

I think they're screwed anyway, because all current plans just involve reducing emissions. Until emissions are negative (CO2 being removed more than inserted) we'll never be doing enough and just delaying it. After all it makes little difference if we reach the point of no return at 2100 or 2300. But one would assume by the latter part of the century we'll have the technology to remove CO2 from the atmosphere in large quantities and store it underground.

ReputationRep:

You haven't had a lobotomy recently by any chance, have you?

ReputationRep:
    The climate changes over time
    The climate is changing over time
    I am confused where the panic arises from
    Hi Jeremy, sorry didn't see you down there, your head was too far up your own arse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.