Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, im thinking of living in Filbert Village next year, id just like to ask a few questions, if someone could try and answer them or just share your experience of living in Filbert i would really appreciate it

I just wanted to know what its like living there? do you find it hard getting to uni? and whats it like socially? is it mostly DMU or leicester? are the people generally pretty freindly? im coming from freemans which was completely dead lol

iv heard its pretty loud, but is it actually possible to get any work done? im going into second year so i need to start taking it a bit more seriously..

also does anyone know somewhere close where i could park? they want like £500 for parking !!

thanks for any replies

ReputationRep:
    I didnt live there but i nkow people that did. Me and my friends started calling it the student prison.. just coz of the way it looks.
    Your not allowed anyone on after 2am but theres tight secrurity so your gonna be safe i guess. Mostly Leicester students.. as for distance from the leicester uni campus.. ALL the Leicester uni accomodations are pretty far actually well with comparison to DMU anyway, but if you have a car its no problem.. im talking about walking so yea.

ReputationRep:
    Actually its mostly mostly DMU students.

Its 15-20 min walk from uni

I've brought loads of people back after 2, they have very rarely checked people at the gate, and if they were to ask, just say you live there and your keys are upstairs, its only a problem if they think you will cause trouble....none of my friends have ever been stopped/questioned about this.

It was built about 2 or 3 years ago and is more modern and spacious than most oadby accom.

I used to park on a nearby road, however whenever there is a match day at walkers stadium you cant park there, however there is a nearby carpark that the fans use, so if you really needed a car you would have to put it in there or you'd get a ticket/it would get towed.

Can be noisy, but not too bad most the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electromagnetic)

I used to park on a nearby road, however whenever there is a match day at walkers stadium you cant park there, however there is a nearby carpark that the fans use, so if you really needed a car you would have to put it in there or you'd get a ticket/it would get towed.
    thanks for all the replies so far,

which carpark was that? the morrisons one? and did you find it a lot of hassle moving your car around? im assuming the road you parked on was pretty close.. i went there the other day but i couldnt see anywhere at all to park.. it was all double yellow

ReputationRep:
    brazil street (very close) and the street next to is have single yellow lines, and signs saying you can't park there on match days, but otherwise its fine.

Morrisons have a limit of 1hour on matchdays, and i think they have a guy who walks round checking. there is also a pay carpark on the way into morrissons.

The carpark is on filbert street, i'm not sure how much it is because i never actually used it, but there is a smaller carpark on new bridge street which is £3 all day.

I never really had much hassle, most of the time i was going somewhere else when a match was on, or didnt have a car at that time. If you were always gonna have a car there i'd imagine it would be bad

Down the road a bit from filbert village, there is a gap in the green fence into a field, loads of people used to park there, but they put a notice up saying private property so not sure if it would be a good idea

I knew someone who used to park at mary gee :s

ReputationRep:
    Leicester's old football ground use to be here I assume?

ReputationRep:
    my friend hated it, simply because you can find yourself getting put in with some nasty flatmates. but apart from that the rooms are really really nice, you get your own bathroom, and big kitchens..and its quite a social place to be. i always used to be round my friends at ridiculous times at night, they say all that about the security but really its pretty easy to get in after hours. can be noisy at times, but i guess you could say its a lively place to be. there are mainly dmu students there, and ALOT of asians!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone going to live in filbert village on september 2009 or study law in dmu?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the replies, il have a look at Brazil street, hopefully i can figure something out, really cant afford to pay £500 just to park my car lol

if anyone else wants to share their experiences id really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    im pretty sure u wont be able to get parking for 500 i just paid £850 for parking in filbert !! i parked my car on road outside/around liberty for my first year, apart from getting about £500 worth of parking tickets for the year ppl also key'd the sh*t outta my car , every1s cars used to get trashed there, they'd either get egged or some **** would put every1s window wipers up, filberts mainly for 2nd and 3rd years to be honest, its pretty live but youd enjoy it more if u were living with your friends, it aint that bad for trouble, i mean your gunna get fights in every student halls, but no1 kicks off randomly its pretty much always something that starts of in the club and ends up at filbert lol, if you want a more quiet experience they've got a block for ppl who are really into "gettin their work done" that block is alot less noisey than others, i think it was c block last yr not sure tho. but filbert is only loud for the first couple of weeks after that every1 settles down and thats only if you have a court yard view , if ur room is facing outta filbert then its quiet all yr round ... unless ur living with some **** who keeps playin his music loud all the time :P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rocky225)
    im pretty sure u wont be able to get parking for 500 i just paid £850 for parking in filbert !! i parked my car on road outside/around liberty for my first year, apart from getting about £500 worth of parking tickets for the year ppl also key'd the sh*t outta my car , every1s cars used to get trashed there, they'd either get egged or some **** would put every1s window wipers up, filberts mainly for 2nd and 3rd years to be honest, its pretty live but youd enjoy it more if u were living with your friends, it aint that bad for trouble, i mean your gunna get fights in every student halls, but no1 kicks off randomly its pretty much always something that starts of in the club and ends up at filbert lol, if you want a more quiet experience they've got a block for ppl who are really into "gettin their work done" that block is alot less noisey than others, i think it was c block last yr not sure tho. but filbert is only loud for the first couple of weeks after that every1 settles down and thats only if you have a court yard view , if ur room is facing outta filbert then its quiet all yr round ... unless ur living with some **** who keeps playin his music loud all the time :P.
    **** off you paid £850 for parking?? holy ****.. is that what there asking for? have they started selling parking permits yet?

ReputationRep:
    yup i **** u not, 846.79 or something, i asked them how come its gone up n the lady at reception goes "it just has", yea u can get a permit now, but only if youve handed ur contract in and paid the 250 deposit , oh yea anotha thing u cant pay for anything in cash. the room , car park space everythin has to be either cheque or card for some reason , theres about 5 or 6 spaces left , i dont see them goin tht quick to be honest 850 is a ****** load of cash

ReputationRep:
    lol, its more than my cars worth ffs, looks like il just try around liberty then

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.