Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got my accomodation letter today for my uni, and all of the single rooms are gone apparently, and as it stands, I have to share with someone else, unless people drop out after results..
    I honestly feel like I can't do this, I've shared a room for 15 years..
    Ive had experience of sharing with random people before, like on PGL holidays lol, and it's not always been good..
    Have other people been in this situation? Is it really that bad?

x

ReputationRep:
    One of my flat mates last year thought she was in this situation before she arrived but the other girl had dropped out. I would say try it for a few weeks as people do drop out then you can move rooms if you feel you need to

ReputationRep:
    I would have major issues with sharing a room - I need my privacy! Plus there is no way I'd trust a total stranger with my jewellery or whatever - if I absolutely had to share a room, it'd have to be with someone I already knew and trusted, not some randomer.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i'd be scared about my stuff :/
    I just dont want to cause trouble by changing a week or two in, and then creating a fuss with the person i'm moving from if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    it would be so awkward to be expected to share a room, i dont think i could do it myself either. you should enrol and try it for the 1st couple of days, but keep on at the accomodation peoples to rehouse you, and it should work.
    because people need there own privacy!

ReputationRep:
    I'm dreading getting a shared room - I don't know why they're built in such abundance. Do people, aside from those who want to live with their ~TrU loVE~, actually want to share? I guess it would depend on how you are. Personally I'm germophobic so I get ocd about people touching my stuff, cleanliness and my privacy = please don't make me share.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I thought, i don't know why they still do it
    Nearly all my friends say it'll be fine and i might get someone I like, but its such a huge gamble, because I might NOT.
    :/

ReputationRep:
    its so much cheaper id share with my best mate if she did live at home.

ReputationRep:
    But..... what happens when you bring someone round for "fun time"? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Just be a total ***** when you get there and the other person will move out and you get a big double bedroom to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Your new room mate is probably just as worried about you as you are about them.

Don't leave your stuff on display and it won't be pinched.

I have enough friends who had room mates in the first year and they all got on okay.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't do it, forgetting the privacy issues for a minute, I have loads of expensive fragile electronics equipment (2 grand++) that I wouldn't be comfortable with anyone else using. I need my own space too I think I'd go crazy after not long (or drive my flatmate crazy :p:)

ReputationRep:
    My uni has a lot of shared rooms, so it wasn't a strange thing to have a roomate. To be honest, it was kinda nice at first, as I had an instant friend in hall to go to meals and events with etc, but eventually you need your own space. We had different groups of friends and different interests, so we'd chat about our days together in the evening, but not see each other otherwise. That was a really good thing. Sounds weird, but I reckon it's made me a more sociable, tolerant person. And we had an en-suite, so you could always escape from each other into the bathroom, if needs be.

Saying that, my roomate was lovely and considerate (if a little quiet). If I had the loud, rude, unhygenic (my friends roomie didn't shower for a week...) people that others did, i'd have moved out/ gone insane. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget that they do this in America all the time, so people DO survive from it

Why don't you contact the university and ask them to give you the name of the other person you're sharing with? You might be able to find them on Facebook and start chatting to them first, which might set your mind at ease a bit.

Remember that they're probably just as worried as you are, and as long as you both stick to some basic rules, you should be absolutely fine

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine found out she was gonna be sharing a room. She told me she cried for three days straight.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies

I dont know for DEFINATE until after the 20th, im number 35 or 39 on a waiting list...so if 40 people dont get in, i will get a single! Haha

ReputationRep:
    i would not share a room

i like my own space

ReputationRep:
    yeah i've been in my brothers room for 15 years too
    it's ****

ReputationRep:
    I don’t think I could share a room with a stranger... I’ve had to share a room with my sister at home for most of my life though, but I still definitely need to be alone sometimes.

I heard some people at my uni had to share rooms due to limited accommodation and I suppose it was OK for them. I think it’s too bad that they won’t give all students their own rooms though, considering the amount we pay to go to uni and for accommodation.

But I guess you should try sharing, it might be alright after all. I was dreading sharing bathroom facilities with complete strangers at uni, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought – everyone was in the same position, so we just had to adjust and deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    Well to give you an idea, 2 mates of mine who were very close had to share at room at Uni, it's now the end of year 1 and they've pretty much fallen out lol.

Absolute pain in the arse, had lots of problems with masturbation, bringing girls home, if one of them went out and the other had to be up early etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.