Turn on thread page Beta

Barcelona or Madrid? watch

• View Poll Results: Barcelona or Madrid?
    Barcelona
    56.67%
    Madrid
    43.33%

ReputationRep:
    Which one would people say is a better place to visit around the beginning of October?
    Any recommendations as to why and especially prices (hotel, flights and alcohol/food) would be especially helpful .

Edit: Would be looking at staying maybe two nights and three days.

ReputationRep:
    i thought you meant football teams haha, um i'd go to barcalona i guess...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Less_then_zero)
    i thought you meant football teams haha, um i'd go to barcalona i guess...
    I still keep thinking that myself even if it is my own thread..... ha!

ReputationRep:
    I went to Barcelona on a school trip a few years ago. I only spent 3 days there but it was spectacular and it's on my to-go list. It's worth going to just to see the cathedral but there are plenty of nice parks, restaurants etc.

I haven't been to Madrid but I doubt you'd regret going to Barcelona.

ReputationRep:
    Barcelona everytime! However accom. in BCN is much dearer than Madrid. I know a great hostel in Madrid, absolutely superb. It's called Cats Hostel - I promise there are no cats! http://www.catshostel.com/ Madrid though isn't superb.

edit: just realised I hadn't bigged BCN up enough. There are tonnes of touristy stuff to do - lots of parks, museums, brilliant shopping & best of all the beach!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Barcelona is amazing. Catalonia for the win.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to Barcelona so I'm pretty biased towards Madrid! Madrid is such a nice place, I stayed there for two nights/three days like yourself and really enjoyed it I went with my brother who's been to both Madrid and Barcelona and he said Madrid was a much nicer place. I would love to go to Barca though.

ReputationRep:
    I'll recommend Madrid. Mostly because anything can happen here. When you go out you never know what will happen, where you'll end up and who you'll meet :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Outa interest those of you who have been to Barcalona, are nights out exspensive???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    Outa interest those of you who have been to Barcalona, are nights out exspensive???
    You're looking at 9euros easy for a spirit & mixer in a club. Bit cheaper in the bars and very cheap in the late night cafes. I think I was paying about 1.50 euros for a beer in the cafes. ...But not much ambience obviously unless you're in a big group playing drinking games!

There are lots of touts for the clubs and they generally give free entry passes to girls only. So boys or those without passes are looking at paying around 20euros a pop to get in (mostly with a drink included in this price).

Taxis aren't that expensive. The metro doesn't run all night so that's not an option. But the buses are really cheap and run all night - they are really safe too.

If I remember rightly, a night out in BCN cost me more than in Madrid - but it was a few years ago that i last went to the capital.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    You're looking at 9euros easy for a spirit & mixer in a club. Bit cheaper in the bars and very cheap in the late night cafes. I think I was paying about 1.50 euros for a beer in the cafes. ...But not much ambience obviously unless you're in a big group playing drinking games!

There are lots of touts for the clubs and they generally give free entry passes to girls only. So boys or those without passes are looking at paying around 20euros a pop to get in (mostly with a drink included in this price).

Taxis aren't that expensive. The metro doesn't run all night so that's not an option. But the buses are really cheap and run all night - they are really safe too.

If I remember rightly, a night out in BCN cost me more than in Madrid - but it was a few years ago that i last went to the capital.
    ah okay thanks a lot for that... graaah at the 9 euros!!!.... and entry fees, but ah well!

thanks for info about buses etc. very helpful. Wish id brought more going out shoes, ive mainly got flip flops!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ah okay thanks a lot for that... graaah at the 9 euros!!!.... and entry fees, but ah well!

thanks for info about buses etc. very helpful. Wish id brought more going out shoes, ive mainly got flip flops!! :rolleyes:
    Are you the one au pairing it near BCN at the mo?

Pop over to Sfera for really cheap shoes! You'll need either flats or to take your flip flops with you anyway - 'cos clubs don't close to dawn!

As long as you look for the touts you'll get in free :p: Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    Are you the one au pairing it near BCN at the mo?

Pop over to Sfera for really cheap shoes! You'll need either flats or to take your flip flops with you anyway - 'cos clubs don't close to dawn!

As long as you look for the touts you'll get in free :p: Have fun!
    yes i am the au pair, ive found another english au pair here to go out with.

ah okay i think il just wear flip flops in that case
    I wasn't sure if there was like a dress code like some places in england or whatever, but i know its more relaxed around here.

ReputationRep:
    yes i am the au pair, ive found another english au pair here to go out with.

ah okay i think il just wear flip flops in that case
    I wasn't sure if there was like a dress code like some places in england or whatever, but i know its more relaxed around here.

That's good then! ... I don't think many of the clubs will let you in wearing flip flops, unless they were snazzy sandal type ones. Have a great night!

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to Barcelona, but my sister used to live in Madrid so I've been there a few times. It's a great city, although I'd strongly advise against visiting in the summer - it can unbelievably hot.
    The nightlife and general buzz after dark is amazing, and quite unlike anything I've seen anywhere else. One of the most sociable cities in the world :yep:

ReputationRep:
    The nightlife in Madrid is something else! Barcelona's a really cool city, but it feels absolutely clogged with tourists and that can get a bit annoying. Madrid is slightly off the beaten track so it feels a lot more authentic. It's also a bit cheaper because of that.

Plus people there appreciate your attempts to speak Spanish, whilst Barcelona is full of uppity Catalans who look down on you if you try Spanish there.

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise you to go to Madrid. You'll have lots of things to do there; plus you can improve your spanish.
    If you have time, you can do a day trip to Segovia (only 40 min by train). Segovia is a medieval town, probably the most beautiful town in Spain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segovia

ReputationRep:
    I strongly recommend Madrid.

In Madrid there are

* English Cinema's showing films in English but with Spanish subtitles
    * 2 Theme Parks (You can get to Warner Brothers Madrid on the train)
    * The Zoo
    * Nightlife and Shopping

You can also get around using the subway which is very cheap.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd head for Madrid first, because I'd want to practise my Spanish there and get myself into some proper Spanish Spanish culture. Barcelona would almost definitely follow though. I wonder if the AVE is built yet... If so then I'll do both when I finally get down there.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.