Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing computer forensics in september, or already doing?
    Hows the course? Is it worth it? Job wise, is it employable?

ReputationRep:
    I am starting in September...been looking for others but it seems there's not very many!

ReputationRep:
    Hey - I'm a third year on Computer Forensics (the first ones on the course at LMU).

Don't get too grand with what you think you'll be able to get job-wise, after graduation. The course is good, but there's an awful lot more to know about digital forensics. The course will give give you a good grounding, and, I think, should get you in the door somewhere, in a junior or trainee role, moving up when you've got experience. Obviously, this is just opinion, since I've not graduated yet!

A word to the wise: take a lot of time outside of the hours to learn about file systems and the layout of files on disk - it's vital, and it's too complex to be covered hugely (well, it wasn't for me, I dunno if the modules are changing). Buy File System Forensic Analysis by Brian Carrier - it's a bible for forensics. Also, get your head around command line computing - there are a lot of free forensics tools out there that use command line. Getting to grips with Unix/Linux/Mac commands, and MSDOS is a good idea, before Year 2.

If you can, budget for training in EnCase (the biggest commercial forensic tool), LMU use FTK (second biggest). An employer in the private sector (ie, not police) will love you if you have EnCase certification.

If i was you, I'd start to register on forums (www.computer-forensics.co.uk, or google "forensic focus" ) and get into the community. Follow @Disklabs, @Hirsty, @davehull, @guardiandf on twitter - just get your nose into it (I'm @ryanhurst btw).

Also, get used to the idea of working IOC (Illegal Images of Children) cases - we were told in 08, by West Yorks Police Hi tech Crime Unit, that nearly 70% of their work is IOC.

If you're serious about it as a career, you may as well go for it in a big way. That said - it's the first year, so make the best of it :woo: All this sounds heavy, but it'll make it more useful, I'm sure.

ESSAY OVER :p:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.