Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, i was just wondering if anyone who has had their cartilage pierced could advice me on how to get it done. i have heard that using the normal gun as on lobe piercing might shatter the cartilage... is this true? if so then what other ways are there of getting it done?

ReputationRep:
    The alternative to the gun is them pushing a needle through your cartilage. Takes longer and hurts more. I've had 2 in the cartilage with a gun and they were fine.

ReputationRep:
    Needles are much preferable to guns. Ignore everyone who will appear telling you theirs were fine - of course not everyone is going to have problems. My gunned lobes were fine but now I know better I certainly wouldn't recommend them, and from personal experience a needled piercing is much faster and easier to heal, and hurts less. Guns have a much higher chance of causing infections, cartilage collapse and just general irritation. The studs are low quality and an unsuitable design, and the people using guns often have very little idea of how to properly perform or look after a piercing. A needle makes a clean cut, a gun stud is very blunt in comparison and is just forced through your cartilage, causing more trauma and damage.

http://www.compunction.org/guns.txt

Go to a proper piercer who actually knows what they're doing.

ReputationRep:
    A gun CAN shatter the cartilage, but I've not heard of anyone actually having that problem; all the people I know who had theirs done with a gun have done a lot better than mine which was done with a needle, where my ear swelled, and has never reduced.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. Don't get it done with a gun as it is a) unhygienic as you cannot auto clave a guun properly and b) bad for your ear as you are shooting a blunt piece of metal through your ear and then they stick butterfly studs in which are also not good for you. Go to a proper piercer, get it done with a needle, yes it's a little more painful but hell it's a piercing, if you're not prepared for the pain why bother? YOu will also get the best aftercare advice from a professional. Lastly do not go to claires accessories or blue banana for the procedure. Hope that helps.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I stupidly had mine done with a gun but I would recommend going for the needle. A lot more hygienic and a lot safer.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest OP id listen to the people with more then one or two mods and are members of the bod mod soc. Just saying :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Lastly do not go to blue banana for the procedure.
    Good advice.

ReputationRep:
    I had mine done with the gun - and nothing happened. It hurt for quite a while after but It was okay in the end - no shattered cartilage

ReputationRep:
    I had a cartilage piercing with a gun many many years ago. It certainly made me realise how bad guns really are. It punched through 2 veins, which meant that it would never heal, it wouldn't clot and created a large amount of scar tissue which I can still feel to this day.

Guns are NOT recommended and should not be recommended. A needle piercing is the only way to guarantee a 100% sterile piercing therefore reducing the risks of bloodborne diseases that can be passed from person to person with the use of piercing guns.

Go to a reputable piercer, where they use a FRESH pair of gloves, autoclave all equipment and use sterile needles. Do NOT go for a gun.

ReputationRep:
    Had my upper ear done in claire's accessories with a gun when I was very young. Didn't heal and left a nasty scar. My sister had hers done with a gun in a piercing place and it had to be removed with pliars. Avoid guns.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice... anyone recommend a place with a good reputation for safe piercings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _abc_)
    thanks for the advice... anyone recommend a place with a good reputation for safe piercings?
    Where are you?

ReputationRep:
    oh yeh... im south london, epsom/sutton/reigate area....

ReputationRep:
    I got mine done with a gun at Claires when I was about 9 or 10. Went a bit sore but nothing drastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _abc_)
    oh yeh... im south london, epsom/sutton/reigate area....
    Can't help you there i'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Go to your nearest beauty salon and ask if they do it with needles, definately not claire's they messed up my ears big time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobaline)
    Go to your nearest beauty salon and ask if they do it with needles, definitely not claire's they messed up my ears big time!
    Don't go to a beauty salon :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I had a cartilage piercing with a gun many many years ago. It certainly made me realise how bad guns really are. It punched through 2 veins, which meant that it would never heal, it wouldn't clot and created a large amount of scar tissue which I can still feel to this day.

Wut!? There are no veins in cartilage..

ReputationRep:
    Both my sister and myself got our done with a gun and we both suffered. We didn't get them done in the same place but my hole was so swollen the butterfly nearly got swallowed and I had to get a professional to remove it. My sister got a recurring abcess on hers and was told if it kept growing back she'd need an operation. So I agree with the above- some people are fine but some people aren't and I don't think it's worth the risk!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.