Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Wut!? There are no veins in cartilage..
    Im pretty sure your ears have a blood supply...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Wut!? There are no veins in cartilage..
    No, but there are veins in the SKIN!!!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    No, but there are veins in the SKIN!!!! :p:
    I'm not being all pedantic on purpose, but the skin over your cartilage is thin, is it not just a few blood vessels which are neither here nor there.. :confused: Meh.

ReputationRep:
    Sister got hers done by a gun. No problem there.

Listen to the good advice and go for needle.. ouch.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Guns shouldn't be used on cartilage because it forces a blunt earring through the ear which can cause tearing/make it shatter.
    Go to a reputable piercer and have it done with a needle. It is all over in a few seconds and they can be more accurate about the exact location that you want it.

ReputationRep:
    While we're at it, is there anything wrong with having a lobe done using a gun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeTSR)
    While we're at it, is there anything wrong with having a lobe done using a gun?
    The same problems about the lack of sterilisation, crap jewellery and additional trauma still apply, just without the specific risk of cartilage collapse. A needle is still safer, more sterile and makes a sharper, cleaner cut. It's like cutting vs ripping a piece of paper. A blunt stud being forced through any part of your body isn't good - lobes just tend to have less problems in general than cartilage piercings do so less people have problems with them. I've had needle and gun pierced lobes and the needle ones were better in every way - less pain, much faster healing, more comfortable immediately after, no horrible pointy butterfly backed stud to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    I've got cartilage and lobe piercings all done with a gun and i've never had any problems!
    But I think what people are saying about the benefits of needle piercings are true.
    And DO make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing! =)

ReputationRep:
    Oh god this thread has really put me off geting another piercing:eek: . What's involved with getting it done with a needle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    The same problems about the lack of sterilisation, crap jewellery and additional trauma still apply, just without the specific risk of cartilage collapse. A needle is still safer, more sterile and makes a sharper, cleaner cut. It's like cutting vs ripping a piece of paper. A blunt stud being forced through any part of your body isn't good - lobes just tend to have less problems in general than cartilage piercings do so less people have problems with them. I've had needle and gun pierced lobes and the needle ones were better in every way - less pain, much faster healing, more comfortable immediately after, no horrible pointy butterfly backed stud to deal with.
    Ah, kk, thanks!

What would be a good place to get one done with a needle?

ReputationRep:
    Any reputable piercer in your local area. Ask people where they got theirs done and if they had problems etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ßlαcksωαn)
    Oh god this thread has really put me off geting another piercing:eek: . What's involved with getting it done with a needle?
    Well, I go to Cold Steel in Camden for all mine and this is what they do:
    You go in, say what you want, book the appt.
    Go back, fill in a consent form, pay, then they show you up to the studio upstairs.

They lie you down on a medical couch, put on some fresh gloves and make placement markings with a pen then get you to have a look at it. If you like it, they open the STERILE needle ask you to take a deep breath and they pierce your ear. The jewellery goes straight in on the end of the needle so you don't feel anything.

They get you to lie there for a minute or two, wipe away any blood, and then get you to sit up slowly. Then she'll give you some advice/how to clean it what not to do... and then send you away!

ReputationRep:
    I did mine myself, just shoved the earring through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren__x)
    I did mine myself, just shoved the earring through.
    :rolleyes: how hardcore. Youre lucky you didnt get an infection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    :rolleyes: how hardcore. Youre lucky you didnt get an infection.
    Your wrong, Im more than hardcore.:yes:
    Its been fine for like 2 years. I do all my ear ones myself, I dont see any point in spending money when I can easily do it. As long as everythings clean theres no problem, its not exactly a big deal having an ear piercing anyways now is it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren__x)
    Your wrong, Im more than hardcore.:yes:
    Its been fine for like 2 years. I do all my ear ones myself, I dont see any point in spending money when I can easily do it. As long as everythings clean theres no problem, its not exactly a big deal having an ear piercing anyways now is it.
    You hardly gave the impression that you were doing it properly by saying you just stuck it in. No they are not difficult to do but id rather have a professional do it in a clean environment with new needles then in my bathroom with a pin and piece of cotton wool :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    haha..i did mine myself with a safety pin, and its still a bit scabby (did it last year) but generallly fine i have heard that needles the way to go though

ReputationRep:
    As other people have told you, avoid guns. Most parts are plastic and probably don't get much cleaning. Avoid beauty salon/jeweler's and go to a proper piercing studio.

ReputationRep:
    Never get it done with a gun- always go to a peircing studio where they do it with needles. I got my helix done with a gun, and only found out about the risks later.

ReputationRep:
    I had mine done with a needle,
    but before it was pierced the guy used some sort of spray on my ear which numbed it and I didn't feel a thing.

Had it done in January and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.