Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm trying to grow a beard and failing miserably. It's really patchy and frankly pretty lame.

I'm 22 and should be genetically predisposed to beard growth (father, uncle, and grandfather have beards).

Has anyone grown or tried to grow a beard? How long did it take to start looking acceptable? How old were you at the time?

What do people think of facial hair in general?

p.s. Frankie Boyle: 'What is it about that look that children find so attractive?!'

ReputationRep:
    I first started shaving in year 9 (14 years old give or take) and now can grow a full on beard. I shave daily or every other day if i'm keeping it smooth but i recently went hiking in scotland, didnt shave and it was probably about 2cm long all over. Cant really give you any tips as to grow a beard as i dont know how i "grew" mine. My brother is 3 and a half years older than me (21 now) and he cant grow a proper beard. =]

ReputationRep:
    Just shave loads and it grows back stronger. Obviously not a good thing to say to someone wanting to grow a beard but that's the general pattern i feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bighairedmike)
    I first started shaving in year 9 (14 years old give or take) and now can grow a full on beard. I shave daily or every other day if i'm keeping it smooth but i recently went hiking in scotland, didnt shave and it was probably about 2cm long all over. Cant really give you any tips as to grow a beard as i dont know how i "grew" mine. My brother is 3 and a half years older than me (21 now) and he cant grow a proper beard. =]
    I started shaving when I was 16 or 17 (pretty late, I think). Probably something to do with it. :rolleyes:

Seems like every part of my body is hairy except my face :mad:

:beard:

ReputationRep:
    yeah i have a "shadow beard"

hope i've been of assisstance

ReputationRep:
    As Jeremy Clarkson has shown, men with beards are uncool! :rolleyes:

Not but in all seriousness, stop being a used tampon man, you're 22...you should know enough about beards by now, no need to be consulting other dudes about your 'look', that's what girls do, in fact...just make sure you don't grow one on your vagina.

ReputationRep:
    Try an extension

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    As Jeremy Clarkson has shown, men with beards are uncool! :rolleyes:

Not but in all seriousness, stop being a used tampon man, you're 22...you should know enough about beards by now, no need to be consulting other dudes about your 'look', that's what girls do, in fact...just make sure you don't grow one on your vagina.
    Just canvassing opinion. Doesn't mean I give crap or it'll change my mind. Politics, I think it's called.

I'll try not to 'grow one on my vagina'; I'm finding it hard enough to cover one set of lips in hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbanjeet)
    Try an extension

LOL @ the dumbledore look ..who'd go for that one? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbanjeet)
    Try an extension

Oooooh! Victorian gent or Jesus, what a wide selection!

ReputationRep:
    I am 16, have shaved since 13, and have a full beard. (I'm talking BEARD. And for reference, this is 5 1/2 months growth, no trimming.) And just to clarify, I, too, fell for the trap that shaving makes hair thicker, stronger, longer, grow faster, etc. for 3 years. It is not true. Mowing grass does not make it come back thicker, only planting seeds. In a beard's case, that means developing more folicles, which just takes time, and will happen no matter how much you shave or don't shave. My advice would be to grow what you can for at least a month (6-8 weeks is best), and then you will really know what your ability is. If you need to shave down to sideburns, or a goatee, or a solo mustache, then you can do so with confidence, knowing you are sporting the best you have, and be proud of it. A great place for more information or support is beardboard.com,

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.