Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right guys, here's what I've been doing to keep sharp and maintain my shape, a very simple HIIT session every other day for a month and a half almost:

12 minutes on an exercise bike, cycling at a minimum of 85 rpm on level 12, 1st minute cycling hard at that speed, second minute of rest, cycling slowly and alternating like that till the twelfth minute, so I've had six minutes cycling hard and six minutes of relative rest altogether.

Next, 12 minutes on the treadmill, 1st minute and a half walking on 1.2 incline (random number but whatever ), then 30s of hard, all out sprinting at 18km/h, so that's a total of two minutes, then the pattern repeats till I've been on it twelve minutes.

So far I've noticed an improvement of general well-being - I just feel better - my stamina's improved. Also, I dunno if it's coincidence, but I've grown like half an inch, since I have to check my BMI's good (it's 18.5, literally scraping into the healthy range).

Just wondering if you guys could rate this workout, give me some pointers and stuff if you think I need to fix parts of it, tell me if it's any good, that kinda thing

ReputationRep:
    Use compound exercises.

ReputationRep:
    What does it matter what we think? If your seeing benefits (in your mind or real physical changes) then your doing it right.

ReputationRep:
    tips:

1) eat more

i'm 12 stone at 5 foot 10 (BMI 24) and i'm a long distance runner (so unless you are sedentary BMI is a bit of a joke).

a BMI of 18.5 at my height is less than 9 and half stone. how is that good shape? eat more!

two think milkshakes a day, four meals a day, excess meat - it'll do you good. i lost a three quarters of a stone when i was revising for exams. i was eating less and running a lot more due to the stress and since i'm already skinny and i run so much i dont want to lose weight. managed to put on about a stone in 2 weeks and i look better for it. so dont go with the BMI measurements, it is a bit meaningless for fitness goals.

http://www.caloriecounting.co.uk/res...charts/bmi.htm

2) build an strong aerobic base

when i started running in a gym 5 years ago i used to run / row / ride at a constant speed.

the last time i went to the gym i ran 10k (50 mins), 10k on the rower (45 mins), cycle 30m - to get in good shape you need to train yourself to exercise more and train consistently moderately hard. if you have no energy to run and if you are already so skinny you wont be able to do this.

3) HIIT

i have heard it said that intervals burns more calories but you must be unfit if you think that.

i normally run one very long run (1h30m), two long runs (1h), 2-3 short runs (40-50m). that averages out about 35-40 miles a week (normal for a runner). when i do speedwork it's normally a 'tempo run' - a set course e.g. 5 miles in as quick as possible. intervals i rarely do. if you want to do them do them properly. HIIT interval training is not what you are doing - it is very hardcore track intervals - i'll give you some.

1) 400 fast, 200 slow x 12
    2) 800 fast, 200 slow, 200 fast, 200 slow x 6.
    3) 'pyramids' - 1m fast, 1m slow, 2m fast, 2m slow, 3m fast, 3m slow, 2m fast, 2m slow, 1m fast, 1m slow
    or on the track
    200m fast, 200m slow, 300m fast, 200m slow, 400m fast, 200m slow, 800m fast, 200m slow, 400m fast, 200m slow, 300m fast, 200m slow, 200m fast, 200m slow.

THAT is what i understand as 'high intensity interval training'. when i heard people that sprint on a treamill and walking, how can you think that is high intensity? where have you got that idea from. as for the bike, i never tire myself enough on the bike to need a break so i can't undersderstand the concept of intervals on the bike. as for the rower i found that when i lowered the intensity right down from the top 10 to like 3/4 i was actually able to row for 45 mins instead of 5. still very slow at the rower, i doing 500m in 2:30-2:40 which apparently is rubbish but i dont care, i love it, and i only think i'm slow because i'm on it for so long. it is actually the funniest cardio do in the gym, you should definitely try it, get a friend to teach you the technique.

i find a lot of people talk HIIT here in the gym but i dont see how it is possible. i do see high intensity intervals as people being overambitious and having to take a break. until you have a solid aerobic base then i dont think intervals will not do you much good (particularly not at the gym). i have to say that high intensity intervals (which gives you a chance for a breather) actually become shorter and easier than a tempo run (where you are running for a high intensity for a long time and you dont get the break). HIIT you really have to do it with other people of a similar standard so you are actually racing yourself to the limit. unless you are doing them properly you'll probably get more out of it by working at a lower intensity and doing a lot more miles.

just some of my thoughts, hope some of its helpful. i'd say that even if you just want to do cardio that you at least attempt some weights as that's the whole point of the gym. i never had the strength for compound exercises so i wouldnt be able to do these hardcore strength programs without weeks of effort. what i ending up doing was just adapt a simple circuit training program where you take out all the shuttle runs that you cant do in a confined space and just do the do simple set of exercises. you only need to use dumbells and you end up working all the body a bit so it is a good alternative if you are too lazy to bother with complicated strength programs. if you find one like that and spend about 15 mins at the start doing that in the gym (as it is still cardio you need to try and do it without any breaks until the end and then when you get better try and repeat it three times).

my short answer (if you cant be bothered to read my random speel is eat more, more cardio lower intensity, work up to a solid aerobic base then introduce speedwork / intervals, start rowing + adapt circuit training program if too lazy for weights.

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    tips:

1) eat more

i'm 12 stone at 5 foot 10 (BMI 24) and i'm a long distance runner (so unless you are sedentary BMI is a bit of a joke).

a BMI of 18.5 at my height is less than 9 and half stone. how is that good shape? eat more!
    I eat loads of good food, I just have a really high metabolism - not my fault

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldlock)
    I eat loads of good food, I just have a really high metabolism - not my fault
    carry on eating good food, just increase your portions bit by bit

ReputationRep:
    3) HIIT

i have heard it said that intervals burns more calories but you must be unfit if you think that.
    No, Endurance Training burns more calories.

THAT is what i understand as 'high intensity interval training'. when i heard people that sprint on a treamill and walking, how can you think that is high intensity? where have you got that idea from.
    Because you're going from low intensity to high. It's kind of the point.

as for the bike, i never tire myself enough on the bike to need a break so i can't undersderstand the concept of intervals on the bike. as for the rower i found that when i lowered the intensity right down from the top 10 to like 3/4 i was actually able to row for 45 mins instead of 5.
    HIIT: You're doing it wrong.

i find a lot of people talk HIIT here in the gym but i dont see how it is possible.
    Why can't it be possible? Millions of people do it, ergo it's possible.

i do see high intensity intervals as people being overambitious and having to take a break. until you have a solid aerobic base then i dont think intervals will not do you much good (particularly not at the gym).
    Why can't they build up a base using HIIT?

i have to say that high intensity intervals (which gives you a chance for a breather) actually become shorter and easier than a tempo run (where you are running for a high intensity for a long time and you dont get the break).
    Have you actually tried it? Running at 90% of your max for 30-45 seconds with 30 seconds rest is easier than consistently at 60-70%?

HIIT you really have to do it with other people of a similar standard so you are actually racing yourself to the limit. unless you are doing them properly you'll probably get more out of it by working at a lower intensity and doing a lot more miles.
    I disagree. I and many others here get along fine doing it alone. Get more? Depends what you're training for. For most people it's fat-loss. In that respect you're wrong.

i never had the strength for compound exercises so i wouldnt be able to do these hardcore strength programs without weeks of effort.
    Isn't the point to build your strength up? If you had it you wouldn't need to train.

ReputationRep:
    i wrote a list of my HIIT interval sessions on the track. interval training only lasts 15-20 mins and you get breaks every lap or two so i find it easier than the very long run. tempo runs and long runs at pace are killer.

i would post a bit better reply but you do annoy me brotherhood. soz x

ReputationRep:
    i wrote a list of my HIIT interval sessions on the track. interval training only lasts 15-20 mins and you get breaks every lap or two so i find it easier than the very long run. tempo runs and long runs at pace are killer.

I can do 40mins of endurance exercising without a break. I can't do more that 10mins of HIIT (excluding warm-up, cool-down).

Ergo, your doing it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I do interval training in spinning... that is a killer! :eek:

ReputationRep:

No worries mate, I think you're a **** anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Feel the lurve in here :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    i only ever go to the gym when i can't run. i have no idea why you guys think you know what you are talking about. the guy is walk / sprinting on a treadmill, jesus?! in any case, my longest run is 2h40mins (no one cares) so to me 15-20 mins intervals is not as hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    No worries mate, I think you're a **** anyway!
    Though so.

Loves and kisses, Revenged

ReputationRep:
    my longest run is 2h40mins (no one cares)
    I'd care if you told us the time you done that in.

ReputationRep:
    Conveniently all the people who've never tried HIIT are the only ones to tear it down

ReputationRep:
    why bring this crap up from a week ago?

i run track intervals with my athletics club and am going back to it when uni term starts again.

your walk/sprinting on a treadmill is retarded - it is not a 'HIIT fest'.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.