Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just want to get people’s views on my situation.

Just finished my AS going to A2s in September.....my dream is to become an airline pilot but having researched various flying schools such as oaa , ctc etc and reading on forums on (pprune)...I believe September 2010 would be a bad time to train because of no-one getting jobs after they finish.

I would like to get other peoples view on this as the training cost around 70k with no prospect of a job at the end......

Or the other viable option will be to wait a couple of years until things start to pick up then start training.

I would like your views on this.....and if anyone knows a pilot can get me some information with regards to my query.

In the meantime if you’ve read up to this point I would your view on what to study at degree level as vie chosen a funny option for A-levels ....geography, politics, media.

i like economics which i regret choosing at the beginning of the year...

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I'm halfway through an engineering degree but becoming a pilot has always played on my mind. I've kept up with pprune as well so can see where you're coming from about it being a bad time to start learning now.

I'm more than likely going to start with my PPL this year, not being too hasty with it, and building up some hours by the time I graduate when I can assess the job situation and see if it might be a good idea to commit the rest of the money required to become a commerical pilot.

Is there a degree that interests you that you could do? By the time you graduate, the market may well have picked up nicely, remembering that you need to leave some time to let the people being made redundant at the moment find jobs again before the airlines will take on new recruits.

If you do decide on uni, it would also be worth checking out to see if there are any flying related societies, such as gliding or air reserves

ReputationRep:
    Considered the Royal Air Force?

ReputationRep:
    raf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    raf?

Yes thats what the Royal Air Force is lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)
    Considered the Royal Air Force?
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    raf?
    If the OP wants to be an airline pilot as opposed to flying in a combat situation, that's not really a good route to go down imo. Plus there's nothing to say they'd even be eligible since you need 20/20 vision to fly for the RAF whereas you don't to be an airline pilot.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who is starting at ERAU (www.erau.edu) in August on an aeronautical science degree. The university has its own aircraft fleet for flight training while an undergraduate and a bridge programme with airlines in the USA to get flight training after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia)
    If the OP wants to be an airline pilot as opposed to flying in a combat situation, that's not really a good route to go down imo. Plus there's nothing to say they'd even be eligible since you need 20/20 vision to fly for the RAF whereas you don't to be an airline pilot.
    On the other hand he hasn't said that he is not interested in flying in a combat situation (although thats far from everything the RAF do on a daily basis) and he has also not mentioned eligibility for the RAF.

Was just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    sorry for not putting it in but raf is not my sort of thing ......its always been to fly for the airlines...

besides you need to do at leat 11 years service with them.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.