Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If one nuclear weapon is detonated, how much time until the human race's extinction? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eradicus)
    probably the ones with the word nuclear in front of them?
    so that excludes the easiest one to make, & the one that there would be no warning of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edge)
    er, it all depends on what you classify as a 'nuclear weapon':

nuclear missile
    nuclear bomb
    dirty bomb
    I think the OP is referring to nuclear weapons that are capable of mass destruction, able to destroy a city. These weapons are detonated by a fission reaction. Most are in missile form now.

A Dirty bomb is a piece of radioactive material attached to an explosive device. These have been detonated before and have caused little damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    I think the OP is referring to nuclear weapons that are capable of mass destruction, able to destroy a city. These weapons are detonated by a fission reaction. Most are in missile form now.

A Dirty bomb is a piece of radioactive material attached to an explosive device. These have been detonated before and have caused little damage.
    so essentially were talking about nation states

ReputationRep:
    It wont happen between two nuclear super forces.

The next nuclear weapon fired upon others will be a terrorist attack and it'll be of an almighty scale.

Imagine if ETA or AL Q placed a nuke in the middle of london?

They're all trying to get one, if immigrants can hide within a truck and 1,000's cross the borders each day, the chances of a nuke when in the hands of such evil people reaching our shores arn't as slim as we'd hope.

What would we do in retaliation? What can you do? It'd be the same reaction as the twin towers, wage war with the terrorist faction. Except it wont be sadam in charge who we can blame so we can't just attack a county, we'd be lost because you cannot wage war on a small amount of people in a huge country..

It a scarey thought. Hope it's not in my life time.

ReputationRep:
    A little radiation is good for the soul.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardozo)

The next nuclear weapon fired upon others will be a terrorist attack and it'll be of an almighty scale.

They're all trying to get one, if immigrants can hide within a truck and 1,000's cross the borders each day, the chances of a nuke when in the hands of such evil people reaching our shores arn't as slim as we'd hope.

What would we do in retaliation? What can you do? It'd be the same reaction as the twin towers, wage war with the terrorist faction. Except it wont be sadam in charge who we can blame so we can't just attack a county, we'd be lost because you cannot wage war on a small amount of people in a huge country..

Why would ETA want to nuke London in the first place? You make no sense, guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Why would ETA want to nuke London in the first place? You make no sense, guy.
    They want cornwall's independance. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I reckon nuclear weapons will be used in warfare in the next 10-15 years, there are lower yield tactical nukes available, I wouldn't be surprised to see the US or Israel use them against Iran. Given how hard Iraq and Afghanistan have been in a ground war, there would be no way anybody could stage a ground occupation of Iran, so they will need to use maximum power from the air.

ReputationRep:
    One weapon couldn't take out all of mankind.
    It would possibly take out a lot of people depending where it detonates but it wouldn't mean world wide havoc and lawlessness.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm Swiss, and we're not going to get fired at/fire at anyone, so I'll be sitting pretty in my chalet laughing at all the idiots who took sides.

ReputationRep:
    This thread makes me want to play some Defcon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    If you're assuming true rationality, there would indeed be no reason for the leader of the nuked country to retaliate, since he'd get nothing from it. Yet if we're still assuming true rationality, then other leaders know this, and therefore have an incentive to nuke their enemies before they get nuked themselves, knowing that the costs of doing so would be nil. It's a paradox really. Mutually assured destruction rests on an assumption of some degree of irrationality.
    How is there nothing to gain by retaliation? What about the taste of sweet sweet revenge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    If you're assuming true rationality, there would indeed be no reason for the leader of the nuked country to retaliate, since he'd get nothing from it. Yet if we're still assuming true rationality, then other leaders know this, and therefore have an incentive to nuke their enemies before they get nuked themselves, knowing that the costs of doing so would be nil. It's a paradox really. Mutually assured destruction rests on an assumption of some degree of irrationality.
    that made no sense at all

ReputationRep:
    Your sig says it all OP.

ReputationRep:
    i know it won't get to new zealand :P

ReputationRep:
    enought time for me to come and ask TSR what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    12 seconds
    WTF, that's exactly what I was going to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardozo)

Sorry I can't see how a nuclear weapon is that easy to come by, to be frank Immigrants cannot be compared to Weapons of mass destruction.

If the idea of Mutually assured destruction is still in force then it wouldn't be long until any number of nations are devastated.

ReputationRep:
    Remember - in the immortal words of Justin Timberlake and Maddona:

-We only got 4 minutes to save the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    It presents heads of state as a vengeful, rash, mindless, inhumane rabble, who don't contemplate the consequences of their actions.

Discuss.
    According to game theory, and MAD, THIS is how the leaders should behave. For nuclear weapons to be a successful deterrent, the leaders must show that they are crazy enough to use them if attacked - no matter the consequences - because then no one will be stupid enough to attack them in the first place. So, yes if a superpower used a nuclear weapon on another superpower 90% of the world's population would disappear in 30 minutes or so.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.