Turn on thread page Beta

Music is dead. watch

ReputationRep:
    It lacks creativity. It is too manufactured. Record companies know just waht sells and churn out 1000 bands the same, on a production line where their hair gets put on with a machine and looks the same as the previous. It doesn't evolve. It doesn't grow. Its stuck in a rut. There's no talent anymore. Most music that is classed as popular an average guitarist could play within a few months of playing, not years of practice. Computers have taken over and aren't giving it back. We need to take a stand, save music, it is dead but we can revive it, with your help.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to pop music then...

It's that simple.

ReputationRep:
    far from it, people just need to go out a find new stuff to listen it, music is just not your mainstream pop. indie emo

music is not dead, saying that just shows your closed to a small area of music with looking at other stuff

ReputationRep:
    I thought HipHop was "Dead" ....Now it's the whole of music?? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    the Jonas Brothers and I disagree with you!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Not true. In the last few months I've heard a couple of new albums that are brilliant. I'd recommend 'The Sleeper' by the Leisure Society, and 'Oh My God Charlie Darwin' by the Low Anthem to anyone who says that music is dead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    It lacks creativity. It is too manufactured. Record companies know just waht sells and churn out 1000 bands the same, on a production line where their hair gets put on with a machine and looks the same as the previous. It doesn't evolve. It doesn't grow. Its stuck in a rut. There's no talent anymore. Most music that is classed as popular an average guitarist could play within a few months of playing, not years of practice. Computers have taken over and aren't giving it back. We need to take a stand, save music, it is dead but we can revive it, with your help.
    Popular music that chavs play, agree with your view (but some of it is fun, despite the lack of music poweress); music that emo's like, yes, quite a bit of time. HOWEVER, there are a lot of damn good artists and music around now, and tbh there has been in every decade. Every decade has its bad music, EVEN the 60's/70's (got over it people :p: ), simple. Just like films, books etc.

ReputationRep:
    Musicis dead. Music remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

Relax, it's not dead!

ReputationRep:
    You can't enforce music on people.... for example

I'm black and when i meet a lot people there like..
    yo, you like that new N DuBZ with STryder song.. I`m like no, I don't listen to rap, grime.. etc..
    They freak out! and try to get me into it...... No.. I much rather listen to some jazz or 70's-80's funk/disco/pop.... But that stuff isn't really mainstream anymore and I'm not gonna be like saying it's DEAD! because of it.

But i hear what you're saying OP.

PS - I LIKE DRUM N BASS... Weird for someone who likes jazz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    I thought HipHop was "Dead" ....Now it's the whole of music?? :eek:
    Getting a Nas lyric in, nice I agree with others though, the OP is looking at one genre too much and generalising way too much. Oh, and with the new Jay-Z album out soon-ish...woop!

I like so many types of music and it is only when you open up to various styles that you see how much good music is out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nhala)
    Getting a Nas lyric in, nice I agree with others though, the OP is looking at one genre too much and generalising way too much.
    I think the OP Just listens to too much Hannah Montanna :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Pieb)

It's that simple.
    Listen to this man here, for his post is all you need OP.

ReputationRep:
    just go back to the future mcfly, music was better then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Pieb)

It's that simple.
    This is one of those times that you can honestly say - this post just ended the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    This is one of those times that you can honestly say - this post just ended the thread.
    Really though? As does dance music come into pop? As pop music by definition in its original term is popular music, i.e. chart music, but it also means a style of music too. And a lot of chart music now crosses genres and some is not bad. Pop music, the style, never has reached ANYWHERE near the pinaccles (however spelt) of the 1990's...Brimful of Asha, All that she wants, Tubthumping, Boom, Boom, Shake the Room, C'est la vie, Save tonight...etc *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    Music criticism is dead.

It lacks creativity. It is too manufactured. People just know what strikes a nerve and churn out 1000s of inane comments, on a production line where their hair gets put on with a machine and looks the same as the previous (I dont even know what that means, but im going to use it anyway). It doesn't evolve. It doesn't grow. Its stuck in a rut. There's no talent anymore. Most criticism that is classed as popular an average critic could write within a few months of critiquing, not years of practice. Computers have taken over and aren't giving it back. We need to take a stand, save music criticism, it is dead but we can revive it, with your help

ReputationRep:
    Good music is still out there, you just gotta look harder for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NavalChicken)
    Music criticism is dead.

It lacks creativity. It is too manufactured. People just know what strikes a nerve and churn out 1000s of inane comments, on a production line where their hair gets put on with a machine and looks the same as the previous (I dont even know what that means, but im going to use it anyway). It doesn't evolve. It doesn't grow. Its stuck in a rut. There's no talent anymore. Most criticism that is classed as popular an average critic could write within a few months of critiquing, not years of practice. Computers have taken over and aren't giving it back. We need to take a stand, save music criticism, it is dead but we can revive it, with your help
    these more the one genre of music, that your talking about sound very much like pop and hiphop
    thats only 2 genre

computers take over in some cases as they sound they produce is a lot better, and that is it easier to loop a beat on a computer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nhala)
    Really though? As does dance music come into pop? As pop music by definition in its original term is popular music, i.e. chart music, but it also means a style of music too. And a lot of chart music now crosses genres and some is not bad. Pop music, the style, never has reached ANYWHERE near the pinaccles (however spelt) of the 1990's...Brimful of Asha, All that she wants, Tubthumping, Boom, Boom, Shake the Room, C'est la vie, Save tonight...etc *sigh*
    dance dosn't come under pop

and which form of dance music are we talking about house, garage, trance

pop music is not popular music, it has a focus on commercial recording, often orientated towards a youth market, usually through the medium of relatively short and simple love songs. While these basic elements of the genre have remained fairly constant, pop music has absorbed influences from most other forms of popular music, particularly borrowing from the development of rock music, and utilizing key technological innovations to produce new variations on existing themes.

Popular music belongs to any of a number of musical genres, and stands in contrast to art music, and traditional music which was disseminated orally. Although popular music sometimes is known as "pop music", the term pop music usually refers to a specific musical genre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    yes the 70's was the best for music

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.