Turn on thread page Beta

Music is dead. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    It lacks creativity. It is too manufactured. Record companies know just waht sells and churn out 1000 bands the same, on a production line where their hair gets put on with a machine and looks the same as the previous. It doesn't evolve. It doesn't grow. Its stuck in a rut. There's no talent anymore. Most music that is classed as popular an average guitarist could play within a few months of playing, not years of practice. Computers have taken over and aren't giving it back. We need to take a stand, save music, it is dead but we can revive it, with your help.
    playing, creating, writing and recording music have become far more accessible in the last 30-40 years. All that means is you have to look that little bit harder for talent, and believe me my friend, there is some astounding talent out there.

ReputationRep:
    Music is still alive.

I have such varied taste nothing gets old!

ReputationRep:
    How many threads have there been like this? It lacks originality.
    It's different for everyone, because everyone is different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    these more the one genre of music, that your talking about sound very much like pop and hiphop
    thats only 2 genre

computers take over in some cases as they sound they produce is a lot better, and that is it easier to loop a beat on a computer
    What? My post was purely a mock up of the original post. Intended for a small lol!

ReputationRep:
    If anything kills music it will be its division into 'genre'.

Record companies and radio stations work like factories now. People are paid huge amounts of money to find music they are certain millions will love and advise the bosses to sign contracts so the record company can sell a lot knowing people will love it. The radio stations will play it knowing its popular. This will draw more advertising revenue and listeners. Radio 1 doesn't have adverts but its influence is very influential and very tightly integrated into the music industry. It plays the songs which get into the top 40 a lot knowing it will gain more power and influence in the industry, as well as promoting the image of the DJs such as Jo Whiley as they also play popular music to feed their own interests of fame and money.

If you don't like this don't buy into it. Find music that you like.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe don't listen to just what's in the charts and on the radio then and go listen to some unsigned bands? Go to some pub gigs? Go support bands who aren't signed, who are different and actually make them become popular instead of sitting there complaining.

I'm being so moody today so don't take that personally.

ReputationRep:
    I Hate Flo Rida. Everything I Detest In Music. Cheesy ******* Rap ****. Ergh. Had To Get That Off My Chest Because My 13 Year Old Sister Loves Him :\

ReputationRep:
    Music was dead in the 70s but then electronic synthesizers gave it CPR in the 80s. Now it's just old and a bit demented and can't remember where it put the car keys.

ReputationRep:
    thats the kinda thing my dad says lol

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to the internet it's easier than ever to find music that you will like. I agree that popular music is absolute knob rot though

It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain It's gonna rain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NavalChicken)
    What? My post was purely a mock up of the original post. Intended for a small lol!
    fair enough, :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)
    You can't enforce music on people.... for example

I'm black and when i meet a lot people there like..
    yo, you like that new N DuBZ with STryder song.. I`m like no, I don't listen to rap, grime.. etc..
    They freak out! and try to get me into it...... No.. I much rather listen to some jazz or 70's-80's funk/disco/pop.... But that stuff isn't really mainstream anymore and I'm not gonna be like saying it's DEAD! because of it.

But i hear what you're saying OP.

PS - I LIKE DRUM N BASS... Weird for someone who likes jazz.
    I like Bloc Party a lot and enjoy the odd Daft Punk track - pretty weird for someone who likes thrash metal, eh? A bit of diversity is always good mate.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, why does all music have to be ''different'' for it to be good?

And tbh, it is just music, hardly the be all and end all. Find another hobby :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cabbaman98)
    Maybe don't listen to just what's in the charts and on the radio then and go listen to some unsigned bands? Go to some pub gigs? Go support bands who aren't signed, who are different and actually make them become popular instead of sitting there complaining.

I'm being so moody today so don't take that personally.
    This.

(Btw, I see you're going for History at Sussex, I'm going to try and change to History after results day - may see you around!)

ReputationRep:
    It lacks creativity. It is too manufactured. Record companies know just waht sells and churn out 1000 bands the same, on a production line where their hair gets put on with a machine and looks the same as the previous. It doesn't evolve. It doesn't grow. Its stuck in a rut. There's no talent anymore. Most music that is classed as popular an average guitarist could play within a few months of playing, not years of practice. Computers have taken over and aren't giving it back. We need to take a stand, save music, it is dead but we can revive it, with your help.
    First of all, complexity does not equate to creativity and good music. As a prime example of a case where complexity has led to anything but creativity, listen to Rustey Cooley. And that works in inverse - there are many examples of creative music that isn't technically difficult to play. I myself am a technical guitarist, and I strive to play technical music, but I do recognise that there's a line between being creating technically creative music, and creating dull but extremely technical music, and the largest part of my 'struggle' in composition is trying not to stray over that line.

Secondly, not all music is 'stuck in a rut'. Sure, if you go to Kerrang! or Scuzz, or any other music channel or radio station, you will find manufactured music. But that's always been the case. Music outlets play music that is popular, and currently, manufactured talentless music. But there are musicians out there, just like you, who hate popular music, hate the stuff that gets airplay, and create music that they feel is true to the art of composition. And there are even record labels, shock horror, which have the same ideals for truly creative music, and reject all forms of music that lacks creativity. You just have to look into it a bit harder, a bit longer and a bit deeper to find this music. It's not handed to you on a plate, but it exists.

And when all is said and done, music is pretty much eternal. If you don't like the way music has gone in the past 20 years, there's still quite a large number of thousands of years of great music that preceded the 1990s which is there for your enjoyment, and it's not going to go out of date any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    Computers were the best thing to ever happen to music, ever.

As for the rest of it, it's hardly "music's" fault you can't be arsed to look for the good stuff. I absolutely do not ever, in any era, endorse the view that there is no good music around at all, and even if there weren't, there are like a million great bands out there from other eras whose brilliance hasn't yet reached your ears, so there is no excuse for ever complaining about music. You are echoing the lazy complaint of thousands before you and doubtless thousands ahead. Ahh, that fictional golden age. How wonderful it would be if it did exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    This.

(Btw, I see you're going for History at Sussex, I'm going to try and change to History after results day - may see you around!)
    Oh awesome yeah I may do. We'll have to go to a pub gig sometime lol.

ReputationRep:
    for everyone who says the 70s/80s was the best for music, i disagree. i think this decade as produced some of the most wonderful bands of all time. people who say that all music nowadays is similar are possibly forgetting that people probably thought this in the 70s/80s as there was arguably even less variation within genres compared to now when bands are stretching and combining lots of different genres.

bottom line is, there's millions of bands out there, you've just gotta look for them

ReputationRep:
    maionstream pop music is dead. fact

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.