The Student Room Group

Braces - Eww?

Hey. I've realised some people's confidence really takes a plunge when they get braces, but is this founded on anything? Do you feel braces make somebody far less attractive? For example, some girls really suit them, until they get retainers and are constantly flicking them off their teeth :yucky:

Both genders feel free to comment :biggrin:

Teeth braces by the way, not trouser kind :p:

Scroll to see replies

When I was younger, at the time loads of my friends were getting braces (14/15) I used to really fancy guys with braces lol. Weird I know.
Now that I'm getting them myself in a couple of months (Im 20), I don't feel there are any positives about having metal strapped to my teeth for 2 years, other than the outcome at the end, and I'm sure I'll feel quite self-consious for a while too.
I've got braces and I'm 17. I got them a week before my 17th birthday!
At first when I got them and my teeth were moving I thought they looked awful. I went from having one gap in between my two front teeth to having two gaps either side when the middle one had shut and braces! I've had them for 5 months now and I'm fine with them. My confidence did go down when I first had them but now my teeth are straightening out I feel fine with them, although sometimes when I have to have pictures taken I wish I didn't have them. I don't mind them on the opposite sex, they don't get in the way so I don't see why thet matter :wink:
Reply 3
Meh I have braces and I just forget they're even there...
Reply 4
ive got braces and used to feel really awkward about them but now im used to them and i think my teeth actually look better with them on, strange i know, but i will be glad when they are off it gets annoying constantly brushing your teeth
Reply 5
Once you get used to someone having them, you hardly notice them. Probably the same goes for the wearer! It doesn't affect attractiveness imo.
Reply 6
Smile88egc
When I was younger, at the time loads of my friends were getting braces (14/15) I used to really fancy guys with braces lol. Weird I know.
Now that I'm getting them myself in a couple of months (Im 20), I don't feel there are any positives about having metal strapped to my teeth for 2 years, other than the outcome at the end, and I'm sure I'll feel quite self-consious for a while too.

That's the only reason I got them at this age - because It'd be worse to get them when I was older.

My teeth weren't even bad, I just got them for the future.

Coming off soon, though ;]
I had them for three years and I hated them. I never wanted to smile but as soon as they came off I noticed my teeth were so much better.
Now I smile at everyone :awesome:
I think some people look fine with them on though, it can be quite cute.
Reply 8
I like braces on girls :p:

Dunno why...
Reply 9
mikeytk

Dunno why...

Just to clarify, girls ages 18+.
I think they can be cute on some people. The whole cute teen girl look lol.
Reply 11
I remember one of my friends saying she really wished she had had braces and another missing them when they got taken off. I never understood their attraction towards them.. ever.
Reply 12
I think people with braces are incredibly HOTTT! (Yes. Three 'T's) :biggrin:
I just got some about a month ago.

I was self-conscious for about 3 days... then I got over it.
The pain bit is not fun, though.
I got braces a week before my 18th birthday (I was 18 in March) and at first I was REALLY self conscious, I hated them. Now I've just sort of got used to them, I tend to forget they're there.. and I've never had any complaints from guys, either.
mikeytk

Dunno why...

Seconded
Reply 17
i think they're quite cute looking some times.... definitely make you look younger though :frown:
Reply 18
My boyfriend had braces when we first got together and it didn't change my opinion of
him in any way, I still think he's gorgeous. I actually found the braces to be quite cute.
I'm 17, nearly 18 and have them. I did have some insecurities towards them at the beginning but now I just forget they're there - and so do all my friends.
But yeah, they do make me look younger. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending