Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got braces when I was 13 before looks bothered me... It depends how hygenic people are when it comes to them, food in them is gross :nn:

ReputationRep:
    I had them and I looked awful with them but it's the end result that counts!

ReputationRep:
    I got braces when I was 11, 6 years ago, and then nobody I knew had them, so I felt a bit.. like a freak actually haha.

I got used to them, and kindof missed them when I got them taken off, 2 years later. To top it all of, most of my friends then got braces so I was once again the odd one out haha

ReputationRep:
    I got mine about 8hrs ago and i hate them! they hurs sooooo much!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I had them for 3 years when I was younger....sadly my teeth moved a little [apparently I am the only person who can see this lol] but I now have permanent braces behind my teeth to stop them...so I actually still have braces, you just can't see them

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend is 19 and she has braces - it takes absolutely nothing away from her at all, still think she looks just as gorgeous... though maybe I am a bit biased. I think she thinks it's worse than it is, I doubt many people notice them at all.

Honestly though, I have met lots of girls with braces who were still really attractive.

ReputationRep:
    My young sister has braces and I never stop teasing her :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I had a horrific time with braces. I had them when I was about 14/15 and only wore them for 9 months.
    I got used to them, I actually wish I'd have paid more attention to what I looked like?!
    I really can't remember now.

But if you think braces are bad just wait for the annoyance of retainers!
    I must admit, I still wear them at night after like.. 2 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haydoncrewduk)
    Don't worry - it wears off eventually! Mine stopped aching about 12 hours after I had them put in, and then I just had to eat mushy stuff for 2/3 days afterwards. I don't really notice them now (had them in about 4 months).
    And it's worth it in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Stopped aching after 12 hours?!? You lucky thing!!!

Every couple of months you have an unpleasant couple of days, the first time is the worst by far. It took about half an hour for mine to be done :/ I've forgot about mine too so it's all good :gthumb: Taking the teeth out it worse than the brace being put on IMO, probably because my roots were hooked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haydoncrewduk)
    Just keep popping the paracetamol!

ReputationRep:
    i used to really want braces!
    i thought they were cooooll

ReputationRep:
    Some people find braces to be quite erotic.

:love:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I know hated having them, I've never had them though so I can't comment!
    My ex often had to wear a retainer - it didn't bother me in the slightest. It's not like dirty or change the way you look.

ReputationRep:
    braces look OK ! ( as long as they are kept clean)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)
    Stopped aching after 12 hours?!? You lucky thing!!!

Every couple of months you have an unpleasant couple of days, the first time is the worst by far. It took about half an hour for mine to be done :/ I've forgot about mine too so it's all good :gthumb: Taking the teeth out it worse than the brace being put on IMO, probably because my roots were hooked!
    thanks mine took over an hr to fit coz she couldnt get the brackets to sit apparently, all i know is it hurt lol

ReputationRep:
    Retainers - eww
    Braces - fine.

ReputationRep:
    Im getting braces just after i turn 18 and im really not looking forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    I dont mind them on other people, cant stand em on myself.
    I had a retainer for a little while, then i "lost" it...So im ok for now

ReputationRep:
    my girlfriend has braces, so does the girl im cheating on her with

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.