Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Braces :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the severity. If the person's teeth were fairly awful to begin with, then yes, a brace placed on would probably cause insecurities to begin with. The person may also feel that the brace attracts attention and accentuates their 'problem'. However, it's only a big deal if they make it a big deal. I don't know how long people have been through treatment, but I've seen people with braces where the severity isn't great. In this case, I don't even notice they have braces sometimes because I'm too busy concentrating on other things, rather than staring at their mouth.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I thought the social stigma associated with braces was more of a 90's thing. I had visible braces for most of my early and mid teens and no one said a thing about it, positive or negative.

ReputationRep:
    braces are hot

but when i tell someone with braces that, they usually get offended cos they think i'm insulting them =|

ReputationRep:
    I think they look fine! I have them and lots of people say they look cute. Wouldn't go that far but you know :p: I was actually having a conversation with my brother's girlfriend yesterday and we both agreed that braces on boys in particular look quite adorable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EFG)
    Meh I have braces and I just forget they're even there...
    Exactly, you forget the person you're talking to has braces as well...

ReputationRep:
    i had them for 5 years, yes i know, my teeth were straight for most of that but the dentist just fannyed around!
    i think there is nothing worse than people who wear braces but try to hide it by not smiling or covering their mouth with their hands, just show your teeth and forget about them!
    i when i first had mine off i thought i looked better with them on, i soon lost that thought though
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    9 out of 10 times i cant resist agirl wih braces, think they can make girls look so cute, but maybe thats just me

ReputationRep:
    hmm i have braces. i used to be fine with them, but now it's been 2 years, i just really want them off! no one can even remember how i look without them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haydoncrewduk)
    thanks mine took over an hr to fit coz she couldnt get the brackets to sit apparently, all i know is it hurt lol
    Eek! An hour??

It feels pretty brutal doesn't it when they're doing it. You feel all your teeth being pulled different ways and it isn't pleasant. I used to keep waking up in the middle of the night with my teeth screaming at me :/ And then on top of all that I had the torture of the Spice Girls being on the radio whilst he did it :p:

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, it's worth it. I had mine off a few months ago and I'm still amazed at how straight my teeth are! I can't stop smiling lol. But yeah, having braces really knocked my self esteem, but you get a huge boost to your self esteem when they're off . I had a few problems with them too, one of the wires kind of bent, flicked out of the brackets and stabbed me in the gum. It got stuck in my gum, was bleeding quite a bit and my dentist had to get it out for me. Scary! (I was actually scared of my own braces for a while after that! haha but it won't happen after the first few months because you get stronger wires which wont bend and flick out like mine did). Well anyway, even after all that, I still believe it was worth it, but only if your teeth really are wonky (mine were awful, I actually got sores on my lip because my teeth were so wonky, so having braces was actually comfier lol).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm getting braces in a couple of months, was a bit concious of the fact that I'm going to have both braces and glasses at the same time but to be honest, I don't really care anymore. People will usually notice you have them for a few days and then forget about it, it's not as if you're going around with a neon light. Even if people do feel a bit insecure with them on, the end result is more than enough a reason to get them. I'm actually quite excited about getting them, minus the possibility of getting my teeth pulled. :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuzzySheep)
    I'm getting braces in a couple of months, was a bit concious of the fact that I'm going to have both braces and glasses at the same time but to be honest, I don't really care anymore. People will usually notice you have them for a few days and then forget about it, it's not as if you're going around with a neon light. Even if people do feel a bit insecure with them on, the end result is more than enough a reason to get them. I'm actually quite excited about getting them, minus the possibility of getting my teeth pulled. :\
    Aye I had both, and you're right you do stop caring after a bit. The first time I looked in the mirror when I got home I was a bit, unhappy, let's put it that way. But you get used to them, and at the beginning you don't care how it looks as long as they stop hurting :p: They're so unnoticeable too, that one guy I went to school with asked me when I got braces about 6 weeks after I'd got them!

Play your cards right and you'll find it's not only the teeth that are getting pulled :p:

ReputationRep:
    I got braces yesterday (I'm 18) and thought i'd hate them, they're not that bad i barely notice them, don't think I look any different.

ReputationRep:
    Definately decreases the attractivness of a guy..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph708)
    I got braces yesterday (I'm 18) and thought i'd hate them, they're not that bad i barely notice them, don't think I look any different.
    Do you have to pay full whack if you're 18? That's a reason I got mine early :cool:

ReputationRep:
    only idiots wear braces

ReputationRep:
    I only fap to girls who have braces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)
    Do you have to pay full whack if you're 18? That's a reason I got mine early :cool:
    Nopeee, free
    Everyone said i'd have to pay but my teeth must just be THAT bad.

ReputationRep:
    When I was a kid I remember wanting braces because all my friends had it and thought it was cool, so I used to alluminium foil and stuck it on my teeth. But I don't see the problem with them, it's rather immature in this day and age not liking someone because they wear braces........

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.