Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph708)
    Nopeee, free
    Everyone said i'd have to pay but my teeth must just be THAT bad.

You jammy little git :p:

Maybe you just gave a little flutter of your eyelashes and the dentist was at your whim? I'm sure your teeth aren't that bad.

ReputationRep:
    I think some people look good with braces but I HATED mine, they force your lips a few mm more forward than normal, cut your lips/gums up and generally made me look like a hamster.
    But, I am glad I had them, my teeth are lovely and straight now and I take good care of them because of what they've had to go through.

Anyone here have that brace that breaks the jaw bone slowly and widens it?
    That was a bugger!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowrax)
    I think some people look good with braces but I HATED mine, they force your lips a few mm more forward than normal, cut your lips/gums up and generally made me look like a hamster.
    But, I am glad I had them, my teeth are lovely and straight now and I take good care of them because of what they've had to go through.

Anyone here have that brace that breaks the jaw bone slowly and widens it?That was a bugger!
    What the sodding hell?!

Was your dentist down a back alley with a hacksaw and a hammer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)
    What the sodding hell?!

Was your dentist down a back alley with a hacksaw and a hammer?
    I know, right?!
    He didn't even try to make it sound pleasant.
    There was a little 'key' (which by the way looks nothing like a key) which my mom had to shove into it every night to twist it which would pull the two parts slightly further apart, thus breaking my jaw a little more each night.

I swear orthodontists are sadists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowrax)
    I know, right?!
    He didn't even try to make it sound pleasant.
    There was a little 'key' (which by the way looks nothing like a key) which my mom had to shove into it every night to twist it which would pull the two parts slightly further apart, thus breaking my jaw a little more each night.

I swear orthodontists are sadists.
    Oh my god. I think Childline was designed for people like you!

Aye I agree, my orthodontist is always smiling manically whenever I go, sinister looking clippers in one hand and wearing that weird welder-esque mask.

ReputationRep:
    You jammy little git :p:

Maybe you just gave a little flutter of your eyelashes and the dentist was at your whim? I'm sure your teeth aren't that bad.
    Haha my dentist is a woman so hopefully i don't have that affect on her! Though i get free surgery too, which i'm meant to pay for but they must have taken pity on me haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph708)
    Haha my dentist is a woman so hopefully i don't have that affect on her! Though i get free surgery too, which i'm meant to pay for but they must have taken pity on me haha.
    Oh Lol. I'm sure there's a few guys knocking about that hope you do have that Effect :p: I'm sure your teeth are fine, and from your picture I'm pretty sure most guys wouldn't be bothered by them :p:

I didn't get any pity. Next time I'll go in with puppy eyes and see if it's less painful xD

ReputationRep:
    I know of a few girls (including myself and a few people on this thread) that like braces on guys, but I've heard a few guys say they think girls with braces look cute... so just cause you're not sure about them, doesnt mean the guy sitting across from you on the train isnt thinking about how how you look :L

ReputationRep:
    braces on girls = V. CUTE :drool::coma:

ReputationRep:
    Never really bothered me apart from when I first had them and couldnt speak proplerly. My teeth were bad, now theyre nice and straight, so im glad I had them while I had the chance, it was only a year so no big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Call me strange, but I really think that braces are attractive!
    I mean, imagine Betty from 'Ugly Betty' without braces: she'd be 3 times less attractive!

ReputationRep:
    my girlfriend has braces, does not phase me one bit. still as geourgeous as ever.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Lol. I'm sure there's a few guys knocking about that hope you do have that Effect :p: I'm sure your teeth are fine, and from your picture I'm pretty sure most guys wouldn't be bothered by them :p:

I didn't get any pity. Next time I'll go in with puppy eyes and see if it's less painful xD
    haha thanks thought tbf i have my mouth shut, so you still can't see how rubbish they really are! Hmm nope still glad i don't have that affect, would make things veeeeery awkward if she's dealing with my mouth.

ReputationRep:
    I had braces for a year and a half, got them off last year. I missed them when they were taken off lol. But I'm getting braces again in a few weeks, top and bottom this time, but they don't make me feel any different towards myself :p: Forget they're there tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think braces are as bad as people make them out to be. I missed mine when I got rid of them lol.

ReputationRep:
    I have braces at the minute and am pretty self conscious about them (I'm 17 and, as mentioned by others, I'm just wishing I'd had them earlier..) but this thread has made me feel alot better about having them The stupid thing is that I think braces on girls are ridiculously cute but just don't seem to like them on myself lol

ReputationRep:
    My friend had braces and had a gorgeous smile with them, now they are off her smile is absolutely stunning! She looked good even with braces, looking back though, not as good, but only when you compare it with her perfect smile now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elucidation)
    I have braces at the minute and am pretty self conscious about them (I'm 17 and, as mentioned by others, I'm just wishing I'd had them earlier..) but this thread has made me feel alot better about having them The stupid thing is that I think braces on girls are ridiculously cute but just don't seem to like them on myself lol
    we are happy to be of help :woo:

ReputationRep:
    The end result is nice teeth so what's the harm in them? Some people look quite cute with them too.

i'll be 22 when i get my braces for about 1yr and half, then that'll be followed by jaw surgery, then braces for another 6 months or so! i'm just thinking of the outcome - nice straight teeth and finally a smile i won't have to hide!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.