Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph708)
    Hahaha i can imagine that conversation
    "Mate, when did you get braces?"
    "err 2 months ago"
    "oh"

I'll see if i can beat your record :p:
    Haha, yeah he just sort of laughed awkwardly and tried to find something else to talk about :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have braces, but for another girl, wouldnt bother me much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)
    Haha, yeah he just sort of laughed awkwardly and tried to find something else to talk about :p:
    Haha take it as a compliment.

I wonder when the novelty of me having braces will wear off with the family? It's like show and tell everytime a relative comes round :no:

ReputationRep:
    Ah but I have four days longer to prepare for starting term, so I (hopefully) won't be a moody lil thing because of having a sore mouth - keeps me quiet though!

:O I hope he always talks about meatballs. Does he go "Yar"? I think it'd be more bearable having somebody tell you you're going to get mutilated if they said it in that accent. My orthodontist is asian and permanently happy. The latter is quite disconcerting.
    ohh. I hadn't thought about it but hopefully it'll have passed by then.. gahh
    ah just thinking about it is making me feel horrible. I don't mind so much in the day but when it decides to keep you awake at night, that's when it makes me have the anger.

meatballs?! I wasn't aware that that was a swedish thing :p:
    and that's exactly what I thought! She didn't seem so happy about it, apparently it was disconcerting that she couldn't really understand what he was telling her he was about to do..
    and lol, I suppose it must be a pretty good feeling to have all that power, having people be scared of you and being able to poke around without being told to stop..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elucidation)
    ohh. I hadn't thought about it but hopefully it'll have passed by then.. gahh
    ah just thinking about it is making me feel horrible. I don't mind so much in the day but when it decides to keep you awake at night, that's when it makes me have the anger.

meatballs?! I wasn't aware that that was a swedish thing :p:
    and that's exactly what I thought! She didn't seem so happy about it, apparently it was disconcerting that she couldn't really understand what he was telling her he was about to do..
    and lol, I suppose it must be a pretty good feeling to have all that power, having people be scared of you and being able to poke around without being told to stop..
    Your dentristry experiences are very different to mine, I can tell you that for sure!

Aye, when my orthodontist was going on about we're going to have to pull that out and stick this on and YOU WILL SCREAM WITH PAIN, I wasn't really taking too much in. There's a radio on which is a nice distraction. My mum told me again in the car what he'd said :rolleyes:

I can't say I'm kept awake at night, but when the appointment's an hour or so away I can't really distract myself, that time isn't very pleasant.

ReputationRep:
    Haha take it as a compliment.

I wonder when the novelty of me having braces will wear off with the family? It's like show and tell everytime a relative comes round :no:
    Ah, the novelty still hasn't worn of for some or my relatives :rolleyes: It's "Let's have a look" "Oh that's smashin' isn't it!" "They'll be done in no time" and I'm stood there like an exhibit.

Then I got contacts, and the next attraction was "Can you see the lens?"

ReputationRep:
    Your dentristry experiences are very different to mine, I can tell you that for sure!

Aye, when my orthodontist was going on about we're going to have to pull that out and stick this on and YOU WILL SCREAM WITH PAIN, I wasn't really taking too much in. There's a radio on which is a nice distraction. My mum told me again in the car what he'd said :rolleyes:

I can't say I'm kept awake at night, but when the appointment's an hour or so away I can't really distract myself, that time isn't very pleasant.

:p: :o: you know what I meant haha

you have a radio?! You're at a better establishment than I am by the sounds of it
    Somehow, I end up pretty relaxed anyway, I usually get up in a bit of a daze and feel like I've been dreaming
    I remember going to the dentist and having to get home on the bus having just had four teeth taken out and my mouth still numb from the injections and bleeding everywhere. That was horrendous.

ooh, I meant my teeth aching rather than the appointment but I know what you mean

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the novelty still hasn't worn of for some or my relatives :rolleyes: It's "Let's have a look" "Oh that's smashin' isn't it!" "They'll be done in no time" and I'm stood there like an exhibit.

Then I got contacts, and the next attraction was "Can you see the lens?"
    Haha i got the contacts thing too, only it was "if you look down do the fall out?!" etc. *shakes head*

ReputationRep:
    Haha i got the contacts thing too, only it was "if you look down do the fall out?!" etc. *shakes head*
    Haha! I never got that one. They were more interested in what i felt like to keep prodding yourself in the eye, which my optician made me do until she conveniently realised the lens was on the floor :cool:

I got lenses because I wasn't mad keen on the idea of starting college with glasses and braces :/ And getting a bit fed up of my glasses always falling of when I played football, or steaming up when I went from a cold place to a warm place!

ReputationRep:
    :p: :o: you know what I meant haha

you have a radio?! You're at a better establishment than I am by the sounds of it
    Somehow, I end up pretty relaxed anyway, I usually get up in a bit of a daze and feel like I've been dreaming
    I remember going to the dentist and having to get home on the bus having just had four teeth taken out and my mouth still numb from the injections and bleeding everywhere. That was horrendous.

ooh, I meant my teeth aching rather than the appointment but I know what you mean
    I can't help it, it's the way my mind works :p:

I nearly threw up my first time (at the orthodontists :p:) because I'd be lying with my head lower than my feet for half an hour. I got two times of two teeth getting taken out, but I was lucky enough to get a lift both times :gthumb: The sensation of a numb face is amusing until you have to keep manually removing your tongue from between your teeth :rolleyes: And when you nearly dripple the pink drink down yourself, that's so degrading. I might've already said this before but when my teeth were taken out the roots were like hooked at the bottom so they took longer to take out, it's all been a bloody horrible affair!

ReputationRep:
    I can't help it, it's the way my mind works :p:

I nearly threw up my first time (at the orthodontists :p:) because I'd be lying with my head lower than my feet for half an hour. I got two times of two teeth getting taken out, but I was lucky enough to get a lift both times :gthumb: The sensation of a numb face is amusing until you have to keep manually removing your tongue from between your teeth :rolleyes: And when you nearly dripple the pink drink down yourself, that's so degrading. I might've already said this before but when my teeth were taken out the roots were like hooked at the bottom so they took longer to take out, it's all been a bloody horrible affair!
    ahhr, that sounds awful ): did they make a worse sound when being taken out? I hate that sound anyway... makes me crinngee
    oh god, I hated not being able to control my own face.. it was just awful. I couldn't find it entertaining, although I wish I'd made the best of it now, should have got pierced or something heh. I kept touching it like, come back to life already!

do you have long until it's all finished?

ReputationRep:
    Haha! I never got that one. They were more interested in what i felt like to keep prodding yourself in the eye, which my optician made me do until she conveniently realised the lens was on the floor :cool:
    Hahaha. My optician got mad at me because i couldn't take mine out for aaaaages. I'm really bad with mine because i play with them when i'm bored. People must think i like touching my eye or something.

ReputationRep:
    ahhr, that sounds awful ): did they make a worse sound when being taken out? I hate that sound anyway... makes me crinngee
    oh god, I hated not being able to control my own face.. it was just awful. I couldn't find it entertaining, although I wish I'd made the best of it now, should have got pierced or something heh. I kept touching it like, come back to life already!

do you have long until it's all finished?
    Yeah, like a scraping against my other teeth. Yuk it was horrible. He nearly has his knee on my chest!

Well I normally can't control my mouth so it wasn't a new sensation for me :p: The entertainmet wore off afteraout half an hour or so when I was sat at home feeling like I'd had a stroke, but it was better than being in the chair. I bet you wished it was still numb once you got feeling back :rolleyes:

I have between 6 months and a year, depending on how co-operative my teeth act, then 6 months with a retainer in day and then 6 months at night. Just in time for me to have a winning smile for Uni. Nobody will e able to resist my perfectly straight teeth! What about choo?

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha. My optician got mad at me because i couldn't take mine out for aaaaages. I'm really bad with mine because i play with them when i'm bored. People must think i like touching my eye or something.
    O.o

I spent far too long learning how to do lenses, especially when they seem eager to jump out of my eye when I rub them a bit :/

I can understand that must seem a wee bit odd to see you sat there with a finger in your eye! Do you have like daily soft ones or what?

ReputationRep:
    O.o

I spent far too long learning how to do lenses, especially when they seem eager to jump out of my eye when I rub them a bit :/

I can understand that must seem a wee bit odd to see you sat there with a finger in your eye! Do you have like daily soft ones or what?
    Yeah i have the daily ones, see mine are the opposite they refuse to come out my eye, hence why i play with them haha. My optician went a bit mental when she saw me doing it but i don't realise i am half the time.
    I remember being told I'd only need one lesson to learn how to do them... it took me 4 and i'm still a bit rubbish. I wish i had the ones you can sleep in

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, like a scraping against my other teeth. Yuk it was horrible. He nearly has his knee on my chest!

Well I normally can't control my mouth so it wasn't a new sensation for me :p: The entertainmet wore off afteraout half an hour or so when I was sat at home feeling like I'd had a stroke, but it was better than being in the chair. I bet you wished it was still numb once you got feeling back :rolleyes:

I have between 6 months and a year, depending on how co-operative my teeth act, then 6 months with a retainer in day and then 6 months at night. Just in time for me to have a winning smile for Uni. Nobody will e able to resist my perfectly straight teeth! What about choo?
    haha xD sorry, it's awful but that was a brilliant image

:p:
    I'd definitely not do that again.. I much preferred it the first time I had teeth out when I was given laughing gas. There was one of those freaky posters on the ceiling too.. clouds and famous people merging into each other like an illusion.. I can just remember Elvis floating around lol

ahhh that sounds pretty good then
    I have no idea, I haven't asked yet.. I really ought to. I think (I don't keep track of these things..) I've only had it for about a year, though. Well, the proper one anyway.. I had a retainer for a fair few months before- lol at when he first put that in, I was sat in the chair laughing and apologising for dribbling all over his hand xD I hated that far more though cause of how awkward eating is .. ahh well, it's all worth it, right?
    I need to stop getting the crazy coloured bracket bits though, I must look like a freak.. most people seem to just get the pale colours and I'm like hell- neon green, how can that look bad?!

sorry, I'm rambling on.. I really should get the hell off TSR but it's raining outside and there's not much to do..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i have the daily ones, see mine are the opposite they refuse to come out my eye, hence why i play with them haha. My optician went a bit mental when she saw me doing it but i don't realise i am half the time.
    I remember being told I'd only need one lesson to learn how to do them... it took me 4 and i'm still a bit rubbish. I wish i had the ones you can sleep in
    Ah, it's probably due to "having a weird shaped eye" (as the optician so wonderfully put it :rolleyes: ) that mine seem to want to jump out. I never knew I had odd shaped eyes! It took me about 3 weeks of continously going back, and then going back a few weeks after that to prove I wasn't completely incompetent before they let me go.

There are ones that you sleep in and they let you see fine for the rest of the day aren't there? I think they're in the pipeline anyway. When I went on holiday it was a bit annoying having to go and take my lenses out everytime I wanted to go for a quick swim.

ReputationRep:
    haha xD sorry, it's awful but that was a brilliant image

:p:
    I'd definitely not do that again.. I much preferred it the first time I had teeth out when I was given laughing gas. There was one of those freaky posters on the ceiling too.. clouds and famous people merging into each other like an illusion.. I can just remember Elvis floating around lol

ahhh that sounds pretty good then
    I have no idea, I haven't asked yet.. I really ought to. I think (I don't keep track of these things..) I've only had it for about a year, though. Well, the proper one anyway.. I had a retainer for a fair few months before- lol at when he first put that in, I was sat in the chair laughing and apologising for dribbling all over his hand xD I hated that far more though cause of how awkward eating is .. ahh well, it's all worth it, right?
    I need to stop getting the crazy coloured bracket bits though, I must look like a freak.. most people seem to just get the pale colours and I'm like hell- neon green, how can that look bad?!

sorry, I'm rambling on.. I really should get the hell off TSR but it's raining outside and there's not much to do..
    Wow! Thinking about it, do you want to swap the radio for some of that gas?

I had to ask last time I went, and I only remembered because my dad kept telling me the morning before "ASK!!!"
    Lol, the only colours that really attracted me was Man City Blue although the pink did look rather fetchin :o: The white ones stain if you have curry apparently so that was a biiiiiiiig no no! I've just stuck with silver, seems as that was what I had for the first few months, before I earned the right to have colours :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Thinking about it, do you want to swap the radio for some of that gas?

I had to ask last time I went, and I only remembered because my dad kept telling me the morning before "ASK!!!"
    Lol, the only colours that really attracted me was Man City Blue although the pink did look rather fetchin :o: The white ones stain if you have curry apparently so that was a biiiiiiiig no no! I've just stuck with silver, seems as that was what I had for the first few months, before I earned the right to have colours :rolleyes:
    haha :p:
    do they even do gas anymore?! They probably only gave me it cause I was crying like a madwoman (in my defence, I was only small :rolleyes: )

:p: I feel pressured to choose quickly when they show me the sheet of colours though and end up going for the same thing :o:
    I tend to leave it to the orthodontist now and he tries to match it to my hair (everyone noticed when he matched it by alternating pink and green :p: I've got the funk )

get the pink- do it, do it! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, it's probably due to "having a weird shaped eye" (as the optician so wonderfully put it :rolleyes: ) that mine seem to want to jump out. I never knew I had odd shaped eyes! It took me about 3 weeks of continously going back, and then going back a few weeks after that to prove I wasn't completely incompetent before they let me go.

There are ones that you sleep in and they let you see fine for the rest of the day aren't there? I think they're in the pipeline anyway. When I went on holiday it was a bit annoying having to go and take my lenses out everytime I wanted to go for a quick swim.
    My eyes are "too big" which is why i can't get them out. I think opticians like insulting people's eyes, which i didn't think was possible really haha.
    I remember asking about ones you can sleep in but they don't do them for my prescription. Though sometimes I sleep in mine by accident :ninja:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.