Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    make sure u get ur paracetamol or whatever painkiller you prefer
    its going to hurt, your first night, morning after, and number of days after:eek3:

good luck
    Awww

Thank you, though

ReputationRep:
    your welcome,
    just making sure your as comfortable as possible lol :yes:

plus, ask your orthodontist for some dental wax, incase the braces start digging in

if your caught out without it...not nice

ReputationRep:
    I had braces for 5 years, which was a complete hell for me. It wasnt a happy time, because they were ugly and destroyed me.
    But they do ones you can barely see now... so thats not so bad. And a retainer you only wear at night is also possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elucidation)
    I'm pretty sure it can mean from damn to shiiit. But I'm not sure which one it means more often.
    Shy-sa or shy-za or something like
    Make it proper rough sounding and it's awesome.
    oh and be sure to kind of shout the end bit :yes:
    Ohhhhhhhhhh so that's how it's spelt! I've known how to say that for a while, but I never knew it was spelt like that. Poor day when you don't learn anything!

ReputationRep:
    your welcome,
    just making sure your as comfortable as possible lol :yes:

plus, ask your orthodontist for some dental wax, incase the braces start digging in

if your caught out without it...not nice
    Lots of it.

I hope it's not toxic because I swallowed half of mine :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    All you bracey people really bond, it's heartwarming! I'm gonna come back in 3 days and complain about My First Day With Braces and hopefully get a newbie welcome, and maybe some advice
    Moan away! We've got everybody hear from the ones who have savage dentists who break there jaws to those of us who only get mildly mutilated.

Not that I want to scare you or anything

One bit of advice - drink lots of warm tea! It's really soothing. And try to zone out whilst you're in THE CHAIR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)
    Lots of it.

I hope it's not toxic because I swallowed half of mine :cool:

Nah it isn't

just asked my mom (dentist)

ur safe:woo:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Aaah, I'm getting braces in a few months and I was wondering if I could get some reassurance from people who had their teeth pulled. How much does it hurt? What happens etc? Also, if I asked them to give me general anaesthetic, would they let me? :s

Sorry, I'm just terrified!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuzzySheep)
    Aaah, I'm getting braces in a few months and I was wondering if I could get some reassurance from people who had their teeth pulled. How much does it hurt? What happens etc? Also, if I asked them to give me general anaesthetic, would they let me? :s

Nope, you probably won't get general anaesthetic, and I doubt anyone would be desperately keen to cart you home!

It's no really painful when it's done, just weird mostly. The injection into your gum isn't pleasant, but having a numb mouth is a unusual experience - try not to embarass yourself by dribbling everywhere!

You get a few injections into various points in your mouth, and then told to sit there for a while. Your mouth starts to tingle, and then goes numb after about 4 or 5 minutes. They then get like these small clamps which just pinch your teeth (like nail clippers but for teeth) and then the dentist just tugs. At the time, it's just uncomfortable, but afterwards it will hurt like hell - sorry but I can't put it any nicer

And you're perfectly entitled to be scared senseless, it 's a daunting experience for all of us! However, no doubt you'll have your own amusing stories to tell us, whether it's the manically happy dentist, the one who does magic tricks or the one who seems to work in a carry on film, or one completely of you own.

ReputationRep:
    Moan away! We've got everybody hear from the ones who have savage dentists who break there jaws to those of us who only get mildly mutilated.

Not that I want to scare you or anything

One bit of advice - drink lots of warm tea! It's really soothing. And try to zone out whilst you're in THE CHAIR.
    Hehe don't worry! We're going on a bear hunt, we're going to catch a big one I'm not scared! I was going to have the jaw breaking surgery too, but everyone from my mother to my school librarian insists my face doesn't look out of shape, so just normal braces for me, yay!

Oh thank you for the warm tea tip!! No one's told me that one before.

Haha THE CHAIR! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Nah it isn't

just asked my mom (dentist)

ur safe:woo:

Good stuff. Ah, that must be handy then, although I'd probably be blissfully ignorant of some things dentistry-wise.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe don't worry! We're going on a bear hunt, we're going to catch a big one I'm not scared! I was going to have the jaw breaking surgery too, but everyone from my mother to my school librarian insists my face doesn't look out of shape, so just normal braces for me, yay!

Oh thank you for the warm tea tip!! No one's told me that one before.

Haha THE CHAIR! :eek3:
    Everybody seems to have dentists that are going to break their jaws :/ Maybe mine just hasn't told me it's going to happen yet :ninja: I've never trusted him! I hope you'd asked them whether they thought your face was out of shape, rather than they randomly went "Your face is fine!"

A cup of tea solves everything! British to the core
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Nope, you probably won't get general anaesthetic, and I doubt anyone would be desperately keen to cart you home!

It's no really painful when it's done, just weird mostly. The injection into your gum isn't pleasant, but having a numb mouth is a unusual experience - try not to embarass yourself by dribbling everywhere!

You get a few injections into various points in your mouth, and then told to sit there for a while. Your mouth starts to tingle, and then goes numb after about 4 or 5 minutes. They then get like these small clamps which just pinch your teeth (like nail clippers but for teeth) and then the dentist just tugs. At the time, it's just uncomfortable, but afterwards it will hurt like hell - sorry but I can't put it any nicer

And you're perfectly entitled to be scared senseless, it 's a daunting experience for all of us! However, no doubt you'll have your own amusing stories to tell us, whether it's the manically happy dentist, the one who does magic tricks or the one who seems to work in a carry on film, or one completely of you own.
    Oooh dear... I'm still a "maybe" on the pulling teeth thing but the idea does, like you said, scare me senseless. Doesn't help that I'm the most squeamish, panicky person ever! I suppose it's all for the end result though... :o:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Everybody seems to have dentists that are going to break their jaws :/ Maybe mine just hasn't told me it's going to happen yet :ninja: I've never trusted him! I hope you'd asked them whether they thought your face was out of shape, rather than they randomly went "Your face is fine!"

A cup of tea solves everything! British to the core
    Haha, like you'll just turn up on the day, get biffed over the head and wake up like a Picasso.

Hehehe yeah I asked them first! That would be worrying! Although I had a black eye from the operation and my teacher ended our last ever goodbyes with "I hope your face gets better soon!" which was a bit... yeah me too :o:

Edit: Just wanted to add something similarly British, like "Pip pip!"

ReputationRep:
    Haha, like you'll just turn up on the day, get biffed over the head and wake up like a Picasso.

Hehehe yeah I asked them first! That would be worrying! Although I had a black eye from the operation and my teacher ended our last ever goodbyes with "I hope your face gets better soon!" which was a bit... yeah me too :o:

Edit: Just wanted to add something similarly British, like "Pip pip!"

I love that teacher :p:

I hope my dentists ways of anestethising (hope it's spelt vaguely right!) are a wee bit more subtle than that. I've only ever had one black eye, and it's from when my brother whacked my in the face with a broom playing hockey with said brooms :/

I'm running out of British things to say. :cool: Cheer up old bean? Or we could always talk about the weather....

ReputationRep:
    Oooh dear... I'm still a "maybe" on the pulling teeth thing but the idea does, like you said, scare me senseless. Doesn't help that I'm the most squeamish, panicky person ever! I suppose it's all for the end result though... :o:

Thanks
    Glad to be of help!

ReputationRep:

Trust me you do NOT want a general anaesthetic for a mouth operation!! I can show you my black-eye-and-swollen-face photo if you don't believe me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Trust me you do NOT want a general anaesthetic for a mouth operation!! I can show you my black-eye-and-swollen-face photo if you don't believe me
    Oh wow, that sounds awful! :eek:
    It's just that I had general anaesthetic when I was younger and getting teeth pulled and I can't remember anything. Because I'm a big wimp, I want the same again haha. But I suppose if that's what happens then I'll bear with it. How did you get a black eye?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, that sounds awful! :eek:
    It's just that I had general anaesthetic when I was younger and getting teeth pulled and I can't remember anything. Because I'm a big wimp, I want the same again haha. But I suppose if that's what happens then I'll bear with it. How did you get a black eye?
    Oh OK that's fair enough They're my idea of hell, especially when you wake up afterwards and have to sit for half an hour in the bed, still with a needle in your hand, eurgggh.

I really don't know! It's obviously a common occurence though because my orthodontist saw me for the first time after it the other day (the operation was a few weeks ago) and said "Did it go OK? Did you get a black eye afterwards?"! Thanks for the warning mate :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I love that teacher :p:

I hope my dentists ways of anestethising (hope it's spelt vaguely right!) are a wee bit more subtle than that. I've only ever had one black eye, and it's from when my brother whacked my in the face with a broom playing hockey with said brooms :/

I'm running out of British things to say. :cool: Cheer up old bean? Or we could always talk about the weather....
    Haha me too she's hilarious.

OUCH! Did he do it on purpose? At least you have a good black eye story though! I just have "Had some teeth out..."

You never know! He might be like that eeevil dentist in Little Shop Of Horrors!

Hehe we could talk about the weather, but it's night so that'd be over pretty quickly :p: "Rather dark, what what?" "Indeed, Basil old chap."

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.