Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an admin of Freeside, which is a Hull University student run linux and alternative computing services cluster, and we're looking for new people to join our ranks.

Our website is www.freeside.co.uk and we have an IRC server running on irc.freeside.co.uk you can come idle on

So if you're a 1337 linux h4xx0r, or just even a newbie who wants to learn, come pop in and say hi - we're a friendly enough bunch :]
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    JUst out of interest do you have any setup details to allow linux to work at the halls of residence because at present no version of linux is supported by computer services

ReputationRep:
    Normally we just recommend following the Mac instructions, however when I was in the Halls 2 years ago everything 'just worked'. If this isn't the case anymore I'll have to bob into the lawns some point early this year with a laptop and write a new tutorial for everyone :-)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks. I'velived on the lawns over 7 years now and use to run linux, mac and windows now due to the cloud program services have brought in my connection has gone on all but my XP machines.

This might change with the new upgrades however it is unlikely

ReputationRep:
    Are you still in Ferens now? If you're free next week or something I could pop through and try and get it all working again - be just like old times, minus Kris. :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm a geek, but im not a smart geek.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sounds good however i need to re-instal debian on one of my laptops. This has prooved problematic but theres always a solution

ReputationRep:
    This actually sounds really kool. Im not really clued up on computor stuff, but a group promoting open source technology would be great.

Also what do you think of stuff like Pirate Bay and free media?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    There probably wouldnt be an issue if media companys and the those are employed by them got paid a regular wage rather than the obcene amounts that they do.

ReputationRep:
    Caring is sharing, IMO.

Freedom of information is a great thing.

Jaager: you should join the IRC channel, even if you're not all that techie. There's a nice guide on our wiki http://wiki.freeside.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    what method of downloadin do u guys use? i use usenet newsgroups - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_...ary_newsgroups - explains how it works

ReputationRep:
    Usenet's pretty cool, Karoo (hull's only ISP) is one of the few ISPs who provide a binary usenet server.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Halls of residence are conneceted directly to the main campus and no longer use karoo however its exact structure for september is undecided and will likely follow the majority of the previous restrictions to download programs.

ReputationRep:
    what are the internet speeds like for each of the halls and are there any download restrictions or checks by the uni itself?

ReputationRep:
    Alright.. so P2P will be banned but will direct downloads be banned? eg. off websities, one click downloads, ftp??

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I spent all year downloading from rapidshare at (mostly) 1MB/sec, enjoy!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Internet having an upgrade and has a blackice fiberoptic connection now directly to the university.

Stable 10MB connection at present and with hardware server updates should range upto 100MB standard.

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to getting some decent download speeds. get about 10kb/s in the middle of nowhere

ReputationRep:
    << Geek going to scarborough campus Shame cause I've got a few spare machines that would make good gaming servers :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Cod4

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.