Turn on thread page Beta

Norethisterone - Do the benefits outweigh the side effects? watch

Announcements

Says it all in the title really! I'm thinking of taking Norethisterone to delay my period whilst I'm on holiday but I'm really worried about the side effects. I know it depends on the person and how their body will adjust to the pills but if you've taken this pill before, what was it like for YOU, personally?

Would you recommend it?

Oh, I'm quite scared of taking something that could mess up my cycle but then there's no point me going on my swimming holiday if I'm on my period - dilemma

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have any side effects, whereas my friend took it and she was in agony when she stopped taking the tablets. Everyone's different!

(Original post by Belle-x)
    I didn't have any side effects, whereas my friend took it and she was in agony when she stopped taking the tablets. Everyone's different!
    That's what I'm afraid of!
    Well actually, I don't mind being in pain afterwards XD

My main issue is the side effects DURING the holiday? It's for 10 days =\

ReputationRep:
    I had no effects during the holiday, but the worst pains when I stopped taking it. From then on I've always suffered with bad period pains which I'd never done before so I don't know if I can blame it for the pains (at the time I mean, not now) or it was just coincidence. They were REALLY bad though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's what I'm afraid of!
    Well actually, I don't mind being in pain afterwards XD

My main issue is the side effects DURING the holiday? It's for 10 days =\
    Didn't have any on holiday but just to be safe, take them when you next come on (if you're due on before holiday) just to see how you react to them!

(Original post by thatone)
    I had no effects during the holiday, but the worst pains when I stopped taking it. From then on I've always suffered with bad period pains which I'd never done before so I don't know if I can blame it for the pains (at the time I mean, not now) or it was just coincidence. They were REALLY bad though.
    Oh goodness!
    So you were fine before the pills and then your periods got messed up afterwards? Are they still messed up (if you don't mind me asking)? How long has it been?

ReputationRep:
    When I took it, it didn't work properly, but then I don't think I started taking the tablets enough in advance. Personally I wouldn't recommend it. It made my pms a million times worse, and I starting randomly crying until my bf confiscated the tablets but it is different for everyone

(Original post by Belle-x)
    Didn't have any on holiday but just to be safe, take them when you next come on (if you're due on before holiday) just to see how you react to them!
    I'm going in a week and a half, I'm due to come on around the 4/5th day of my 10 day holiday! So you can see why it'd be ****** - days 1, 2 and 3 would be the horrible pre-period feeling I get (sore boobs, bloating) and then a few days of heavyness (4, 5, 6) and the light-ish (7, 8, 9)... Holiday gone!

Maybe I could take them at the end of this week (ie. a week before I'm due) and see what happens in the next few days? I don't know, I'm scared of my GP!

ReputationRep:
    I never had a problem with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh goodness!
    So you were fine before the pills and then your periods got messed up afterwards? Are they still messed up (if you don't mind me asking)? How long has it been?
    I think it's been far too long for it to be the pills' fault. Just a coincidence. But it stops me saying whether the pills had a negative effect.

(Original post by Nynyflower)
    I never had a problem with it
    That's reassuring, thank you :o:

(Original post by vix_245)
    I would recommend it :-) I took them last week and a few times in the past. Have never had any problems myself.
    But u never know till u try them...so its a risk u gotta take i guess, it depends on how badly u dont want ur period on the swimming holiday...could always use tampons instead?
    I've never used them before and I won't get a chance to "try" until I start - which will be during the holiday. I've tried once before and it really hurt and I couldn't get it in properly XD

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a problem with it either. I've used it on a couple of occassions now.

Ah ok, sounds like the only option is the tablets then. That was the same as me when i first took the tablets too! U should try using Lil-lets ones, they are really small and very easy to use in my opinion. Tampons just take practice, now I use them all the time.

I know a few people who have taken the tablets with no problems, I think as u will only need to take them for a few days (3/4 days before u r due to come on and then 3/4 days before u want the period to come) u should be fine, I think it is when they are taken for longer times, it can do damage. U dont need to do this, u can time it so that your period comes 1/2 days after u get back home? Thats what I did for my holiday and I came on today :-)
    Oh that's clever :o:
    I'm just a bit confused at the moment because my boobs are getting sore already and usually it happens a week/week and a half before my period starts. I'm thinking that I should get the pill anyway, just in case.

I'd be taking it for... 10 days, is that "long" ?

I think that is an ok time to take them, but u can always ask the GP. I totally just looked at the paperwork that comes with the pills to see if it said anything, but couldnt find it on there :-S but the doc will know better than me lol!

Hmm...yep, try and see a pattern in ur cycle from the last few months..i.e. every 28days etc to predict when u should come on. Also using signs from your body. Then u can decide when to take the tablets, u can always add on a day or two at the beginning if u are not too sure :-)
    + rep coming your way, thank you

Thankyou, no problemo :-) I hope it all works out ok! And have a fab holiday too :-D
    yay you have 2 gems now - I feel special :p:
    And thank you, enjoy your summer!

I took it and no problems whatsoever.
    I don't think it's dangerous to take it over a long period of time either - it's contains all the same hormones as the normal contraceptive pill only in smaller doses which you take 3 times a day - and the normal pill is safe to take as long as you want.
    How old are you? You could ask your GP for the regular pill so you won't have to remember three times a day - then just don't finish the packet once your holiday is over.

ReputationRep:
    [Belated reply ftw!]

I took it this year, for ten days. Ugh. Wouldn't do it again. I normally get pretty bad PMS as far as consistently wanting to cry for a week goes, but this was awful. I snarled at the slightest provocation, and twice burst into completely uncontrollable crying jags. I'm also convinced that it was the reason I woke up with a headache so bad that it made me sick one night.

Another tip - wear a bra at all times! I didn't one night because it didn't go with my top, and, dear god, I needed 2 Ibuprofen that night to be able to sleep. Breast tenderness is a super-common side-effect, apparently.

On the plus side, it worked, I could swim every day, and I haven't suffered any effects once I came off them.

ReputationRep:
    [Even more belated reply!]

I have been on Norethisterone since Feb 2010 and like thatone said, whenever I come off it, I have crippling pains like I have never had before (used to get very mild cramps, but not every month and never for longer than about 24 hours).

Unfortunately the pills themselves cause me severe abdominal pains and occasional vomiting fits, which make eating and sleeping very difficult (about the only good thing is the weight is dropping off me, although due to lack of food and sleep I now have an annoying tendency to collapse in public places). No breast tenderness though, thankfully.

My first doctor just shrugged and said I'd have to stay on them until the menopause (abdominal pains, vomiting and sleepless nights vs. crippling pains that are so bad I can't even get out of bed for the next twenty-odd years...I'll pass, thanks).

I went to see a gynaecologist and he basically told me that the way things are right now, I have two options to clear up these symptoms for good: I can either have a baby, or a hysterectomy.

This is not entirely due to the pills; I have a severe hormone imbalance (witness the main reason for them sticking me on Norethisterone in the first place; it's about the only thing that works as without it I'd be stuck with a period that never - and I mean NEVER - ends) and so that plays a large part here. But the problems mentioned above are down to the Norethisterone.

I'm hoping to get the hysterectomy done in April (have to go private since the NHS are refusing point blank to cough up). Since I always wanted to adopt rather than give birth, it's not such a big deal for me, but it's annoying being backed into a corner through taking these stupid pills.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.